Nature and Environment

Because at 160,000 years, the party is just getting started.

You Tell Us: What are the Most Reliable Global Warming Resources?

7/31/2009 3:34:01 PM

Tags: about global warming, global warming resources, climate change, question to readers

Climate Change NewspapersGlobal warming (or climate change) is still one of the most hotly debated topics today — it seems there’s no end to the research and opinions on the topic. And it’s not just a rhetorical exercise. Much of the debate revolves not just around whether or not we’re to fault (or to what degree), but also regarding what we’re going to do (or not do) about it. With facts and “facts” appearing in books, blogs, the nightly news, and print and online media, it can be a challenge to find reliable sources for information. What books, websites, news anchors or other resources do you go to for the information you need to make informed, intelligent decisions about global warming?

Photo by: iStockphoto

Hey Global Warming – 1 Degree? That’s All You got??

An explanation of why one degree Celsius makes such a big difference in our climate.

The decreasing-circumference curve

We are focusing our attentions in the wrong place. Motorcyclists, mountain-bikers, skiers and steep...

Global Warming Game for Kids

The Union of Concerned Scientists developed a card game, Cool It!, that helps children learn about g...

The 70-20-10 Rule

Back in December, I did a spot for a bunch of local TV news programs on wrapping gifts using materia...

roberte
11/9/2010 7:12:08 PM
Reliable resources: Joe Romm @ http://climateprogress.org/ Greg Laden @ http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/ Coby @ http://scienceblogs.com/illconsidered/ NOAA Arctic @ http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/ & http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/reportcard/ NASA Goddard GISS @ http://data.giss.nasa.gov Eli @ http://rabett.blogspot.com/ (as much for debating deniers as ACC science) Mike @ http://watchingthedeniers.wordpress.com/ (more for keeping up on the denier scene) New Scientist @ http://www.newscientist.com/topic/climate-change Also IPCC reports @ http://www.ipcc.ch (the Summaries for Policymakers are good places to start and point to the underlying science.)

roberte
11/9/2010 6:53:45 PM

Jim Fridas
11/9/2010 12:05:29 PM
HOAX in capitol letters its more like liberal (BULL SAUSAGE)I will give them one thing they never give up, knowing its all over but the crying they now have a new idea (BIO DIVERSITY) or more bull sausage! It was designed to make a select group of liberal socially deranged socialists massive amounts of money like Prince Albert! Alas more Albert no carbon credits, these people are totally stupid who buy into this dam stuff, we breathe in oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide, so what we kill have the earths population to reduce carbon emissions? OK now for the real truth behind what will destroy the world "DRUM ROLL" (GLOBAL GARBAGE!) that is filling the ocean with garbage land fills and no where to remove it to, I read a book recently showing evidence of so much garbage in the Pacific Ocean that there are two places where all the garbage collects and they are as large as the U.S., the fish are loaded with toxins and that could be the death of the ocean and man, think about that!!!

Eileen Hawk
11/8/2010 7:32:00 PM
I read a fascinating magazine, Discovery Magazine, also online. It often has articles on environment, pollution, and global warming, along with every other imaginable issue of our time. The articles are written by scientists and other experts but in a way that the average person can understand.

Melanie_18
11/8/2010 4:46:08 PM
Just came upon this article with several useful links: http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2010/11/08-2

Melanie_18
11/8/2010 4:39:24 PM
350.org and 1sky.org In addition, this guy has great in-depth videos to explain what's what: youtube.com/user/greenman3610

QuantumBelcher
11/8/2010 11:07:34 AM
I watched the Global Warming saga from it's infancy. In the early 90's I used as my screen saver, a picture from NASA of the enlarged CO2 ice-caps of Mars. NASA explained the enlargement was due to Mars warming because of a 100th of 1% increase in solar output. Mr Hansen who was the public relations chief at NASA must have had a meeting with Al Gore! I don't know when, but the explanation for Mars' warming was changed to, 'storms marred the surface of Mars and caused local warming'... totally ridiculous. Like I say, Mr Hansen, a wild Bush hater at the time, must have had a meeting with Albert. NASA never said to my knowledge whether the 100th of 1% increase in solar output was permanent or not. They didn't have SOHO at the time. It looks like it may have been a temporary burst of 100th of 1% solar output. Here is where we are: The first thing the burst did was warm the oceans. Warmer water holds less CO2. The oceans are what soaked the atmosphere with CO2, sorry man, you are a very distant second. While it isn't significant to respiration of humans, it is significant enough to increase plant mass, where a lot of the CO2 goes. Any CO2 acting as a greenhouse gas will warm (soften)the Earth, increasing volcanic activity. Ash clouds will significantly lower Earth's temperature. You know volcanic activity is working as long as we don't have record-broken after record-broken year after year... remain calm...take advantage of the CO2 by learning how to grow food!

Kevin_3
9/2/2009 8:58:03 AM
Climate chance or no climate chance that is the question. Is it caused by us or not. Are we just in a weather cycle or is our would really changing. I do not believe there is a reliable source on climate change. That is what happens when politics gets involved, facts get confused by political agenda. The fact is we do need to be more energy wise and find alternatives to fueling our lives. We do need to cut back on waste and pollution. We need to work at not being so wrap up in having and start giving. The good thing is that out of the climate change and global warming rhetoric comes the awareness that we need to chance the way we think about our lives and how we live in a wasteful society.

SR Davis
8/10/2009 4:27:38 AM
First off I think the debate should be over - there is Global Climate Change happening. I do believe it is cyclical but I also believe that we have sped the cycle up sooner that it would have happened on its own. I also believe that because of our interference in the natural climate change cycle for our planet that the consequences may be dire. I get a lot of my information from National Geographic and another great source who happens to be my sister who is an Environmental Scientist who passes along journal articles and other news information to me. I also agree with the poster that said we need to do serious work on pollution of our water, soil, air, and ourselves. Whether Climate Change is happening or not we do not take care of the planet the way we should. I think that we need to really get more serious about the planet and our own bodies and treat both with the healthy respect they deserve.

davisonh
8/8/2009 8:25:01 PM
Hoax or not,it does wake us up to the fact that we use too much energy to fuel what we all do every day.There's no way we can keep up the pace of what we're doing with what we currently work with fuel source wise.The stuff in the ground needs to stay in the ground.With what we have today it's more than possible to run what we have here without having to delve into solar energy that existed 250 million years ago.As far as warming being true or not as I've said before yes it is true.We are 10,000 or so years coming out of an ice age up here.If anyone needs proof of this ice age existing 10,000 years ago I'll send you pictures of the huge boulders that sit in my forest and yard and that I've had to move myself.Where I sit typing on my computer now 50,000 or so years ago was solid ice 2 miles high.Those boulders were remnants of the Appalachain mountain chain that fell out of the glaciers as they retreated so yes,melting glaciers and a shrinking ice cap do not suprise me one bit.Seven times at least in Earths' history ice has advanced and retreated.Whether we have anything to do with it or not I think the jury will be out for a long time on that one..

Adrean Stephenson
8/6/2009 4:26:04 PM
On Global Warning In reaction to letters bent on proving or dis-proving Global Warming, I wonder if readers look from above the cloud of debate and consider this: Whether founded or not, the scare of man-made Global Warming is serving its purpose. One would assume that readers of a publication entitled “Mother Earth” already understand the value of low-impact living, but without “Global Warming” would there have ever been such a swing toward green living in our society? Sometimes scary scenarios are useful to bring about life-changing and world-changing ideas. I just hope that instead of sending their hard-earned cash to save the polar bears, more and more people are implementing changes to their routine that make low-impact lifestyles more commonplace everywhere.

Adrean Stephenson
8/6/2009 4:21:53 PM

Ray_1
8/6/2009 12:03:48 PM
I find it difficult to conceive of the planet being consumed by the inhabitants. We do seem to clutter and dirty things up and those are things that need to be corrected, after all, it is where we live. As far as CO2? Humans give off more CO2 than cows, It appears that overpopulation is a a better target for controversy than cows. I suspect that the absence of water in the aquifer would also be a candidate for heating the planet and maybe the changing of the oceans currents, but in order to pin point a reason, there needs to be scientific fact, not speculation, not some 10 year old's opinion that the sky is falling...fact. I looked at the articles in the Old Farmer's Almanac website http://www.almanac.com/timeline/index.php Not to add or take away any science, but to get a historic look at this and quite frankly, it's been here before and it will likely happen again before the end of time.

Ron_2
8/5/2009 8:07:43 PM
There are no government provided sources that are worth spit. All the "scientists" are on the payroll, being paid to push an agenda. Does anyone have any common sense left? I live in the midwest, we have had a total of three days over ninety degrees all summer. We just had the coldest June and July in history in Illinois and Iowa. Over 3000 all time cold temperatures were recorded in the US in June and July. This is absurd. Twenty years ago when it was hotter than normal, every warm day was proof to global warmers. They said with certainty that temperatures and sea levels would be beyond belief by this point. It has NOT happened. It is time to admit that we don't know what is driving our climate variations, that human activity is NOT destroying the climate.

MC_2
8/5/2009 8:03:50 PM
I think my eyes and my brain are probably the best resources for information about climate change. I don't exactly consider my own reasoning infallible, but at least then I know who's leading me astray and why. Personally I think it's happening. I don't know why. Could be natural; could be our fault. I don't particularly care which. Either way, we'd better get busy learning to deal with it, and we shouldn't *need* a crisis of global proportions to make us understand that we should pollute as little as possible, use the cleanest and most renewable energy available, and never be wasteful with the resources we have. Terms like "global warming" and "climate change" existed only as the concept of having "angered the gods," but our freakin' Neolithic ancestors knew not to take it all and not to defecate in the residence.

sunpea
8/4/2009 11:27:38 PM
Right to the point is www.suprememastertv.com/SOS. Why is organic vegan the best solution for GW/CC? Where does Methane, Nitrous Oxide and hydrogen sulfide fit in? Prof. James Hansen, Dr. Rajendra Pachauri, and a host of other doctors and scientists from all over the world share their view including politicians. How much coverage does Sweden get in the mainstream media for including vegetarianism into it's national policy for climate change? The Vice President of the EU also agrees we need to depend less on livestock, does anyone know about it? Supreme Master Television isn't afraid to tell it like it is. It has no underlying motives except to share the truth. Throw in daily reports of the swine flu (which isn't going away) and lots of constructive green information on alternative energy and you got one great TV station. Not to mention all the cultural shows and positive humanitarian news stories. I love this channel - highly recommended

Linda_93
8/4/2009 4:13:40 PM
I second the vote for Greg Craven's book, "What's the Worst That Could Happen?" Greg has his own opinions but his book is not about 'believe me,' it's about thinking for yourself. The first part of the book is dedicated to critical thinking skills -- stuff I wish I had learned a long time ago - would have saved me a lot of grief. Of special interest is the part on confirmation bias (we all have it!) and how it can get in your way. Greg includes a lot of sources on both sides of the argument -- and he never once mentions Al Gore :-)

Celesta
8/4/2009 12:19:52 AM
The best source of inforamtion to learn about the global warming is http://suprememastertv.com/ They interview all the leading scientists, like scientsts from NASA, Doctors, leaders, and many others. They also provide a solution to this tragic problem.

Biff Baxter
8/3/2009 7:35:03 PM
The best source of global warming information is in the notebooks of Antonio Gramsci, the radical murderous marxist revolutionary who spent most of his life in prison in Italy. Gramsci conceded that although communism was an economic failure, there was still a way that communists could use it to take over the world ... by faking an environmental crisis and claiming that only a communist world government could protect us from some terrible environmental disaster. Al Gore's father carried Gramsci's books around like they were his bible. Hillaire Belloc was right when he said once a man no longer believes in God, he'll believe in anything.

neosapiens
8/3/2009 4:44:27 PM
I read lots of books, and not just by environmentalists, but also by businessmen, politicians, and journalists. I happen to like Grist.org, realclimate.org, climatecentral.org, climateprogress.org, edf.org, ucsusa.org and msnbc.com. It's very clear that we all need to be better informed and to take a sensible approach to the issue. Everyone who speaks has motives, but they aren't always financial. If you sort through the bluster to get at the facts--and follow them where they take you, you'll eventually come to the conclusion that action to mitigate climate change is the prudent choice. Railing against it might feel good, but it doesn't really do anything helpful. It can be a really difficult adjustment for people who have views of how the world ought to function that are threatened by what is more and more obviously the truth: We are warming the planet and it could get really awful for a lot of people if we don't change our ways.

Howard Locke_2
8/3/2009 4:30:30 PM
Lately, the Torquemada's of the Al Gore Inquisition have desperately labeled those outside the new orthodoxy as 'climate deniers'; a term borrowed from the Holocaust lexicon. Well, welcome the "world's largest" group of scientists to the ranks of the blasphemers... http://www.newswithviews.com/Morano/marc104.htm

Lindsey_1
8/3/2009 4:08:19 PM
For my information about global warming, I really only have one true reliable resource. My best friend. She is fabulous!! And because she is willing to wade through all the internet articles I get a huge shortcut to all the facts! Yeah best friend!!

Dennis H
8/3/2009 3:00:29 PM
Chris, you are right on the ball and one of many that really has their head on straight. My local weatherman also believes that global warming is a hoax. He also has mountains of facts to back it up. For those that are open-minded enough to look at some real facts, you need to go to globalwarminghoax.com. You will have your sleepy eyes opened.

Linda Eatenson
8/3/2009 2:53:54 PM
We're wasting time debating whether or not global warming is real, and whether or not we're causing it if it is. What we can agree on is that pollution is a major problem in our air, water, and soil. The research on toxins, brain damage, cancer, etc., is convincing. What often gets published is that one little ant bite won't hurt you. But we're getting 1000 bites from different ants,along with bee stings and poison ivy. Our lungs, livers, and immune systems are frantically trying to keep us alive, but it's getting harder. The global warming debaters aren't going to change each others' minds, but we can still work together to try to keep a habitable planet under our feet! Let's get focused here, y'all.

Kathleen A Stringer
8/3/2009 2:45:25 PM
My favorite is www.grist.org for the Naysayers like Chris, there is plenty to read here http://www.grist.org/article/series/skeptics/

jag
8/3/2009 2:16:02 PM
I have found the approach by high school science teacher Greg Craven to be very helpful in sorting out the "shouting match" about global warming. He recently published a book, "What's the Worst That Could Happen, A Rational Response to the Climate Change Debate" that helps lay-people understand the scientific process, different sources of bias, and decision making tools such as a "credibililty spectrum" and "risk management matrix". This book will help you sort out the information & make your own decisions. See www.gregcraven.org (the book's main website) and www.manpollo.org (the online forum that provided research support) for more info. You can dig as deep into the debate as you want in the manpollo forum posts and associated links. Also see this summary of the SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS ON CLIMATE CHANGE http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686 Given this level of scientific consensus, and solutions (energy conservation, use of renewable energy sources, re-localizing economies, particularly food economies) that seem very good for national security, I don't understand why we are dragging our feet.

Aaron T
8/3/2009 1:21:34 PM
Just about any site that doesn't give Al Gore and his minions any positive face time. www.aaronsenvironmental.com, www.lewrockwell.com, www.cato.org, www.naturalnews.com, and several others.

Dave Hymers_1
8/3/2009 1:05:47 PM
www.next100.com my bad :) You guys want to blame it all on Al Gore because that's all you've heard about climate change; "An inconvenient truth" you've never actually done any of you're own research, its all "I've heard this" and "my college student buddy" or "my weather man said" Pretty pathetic really. If you're concerned (which you're probably not) then you'd look into stuff for yourself. You're trying to make Al Gore sound like some environmental hoax evil kingpin, its ridiculous. Alright he may be a hypocrite but so are you if you don't grasp the facts for yourselves and form YOUR OWN OPINION and back it up with links, video, scientific papers etc............

Dave Hymers_1
8/3/2009 12:41:25 PM
Chris, are you serious ? you are one confused individual. Nobody talks about Al Gore any more, but EVERYBODY is talking about climate change and the fact its not a "lie" its happening for whatever reason and WE are helping it speed up. Please, if you will take a look at these photos: http://gfl.usgs.gov/ArcticSeaIce.shtml that where recently "unclassified" (groan.) It's ok to be in denial, its natural. 2 years from now you'll have probably think a little differently, its a slow process EVERYone goes through. I'm glad you're taking the steps you are, even for the reasons you state, they make perfect sense. One of the places I get my info is www.next100.org

Jeff _1
8/3/2009 12:40:06 PM
I have to agree with Chris, I have heard alot about the weather patterns change naturally. Now the average temp. is going down. I would be very upset if they pass that stupid cap and trade because all t will do is make people like Al Gore richer, and with other countries like China and India not doing anything about their pollution, what is the point. Also Gore is a hippocrit. He is doing plenty of polluting on his own while asking us to conserve. Same as the President, and Congress. Ok, I'm done.

George Works
8/3/2009 12:33:13 PM
For information on global warming I look primarily to articles published in the American Academy for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) journal Science, which I receive as a member. I also look to Science Daily and Eureka for summaries of articles published in other refereed journals. As someone who has followed this issue, I would like to point out that among climate scientists there is a broad consensus that global warming is occurring and that it is mostly caused by human activity. However, there is less agreement about the details of climate models, how quickly the climate will warm, and how quickly sea levels will rise. This is still a very active area of scientific research with a great deal yet to be understood. I see very little serious, informed discussion in the popular press as to what we should or could do about global warming and how effective various actions would be. I'm not optimistic that humanity can deal with this problem considering that we are dependent on our present system for our food, and considering that CO2 in the atmosphere has a half-life of 200 years. But I am very optimistic that we will survive it.

Doug_34
8/3/2009 12:33:03 PM
Hey Chris your right on the money! I believe as many others do, that the news that they feed us on the TV is only what they want us to hear and rarely the whole truth. My opinion comes from more of the likes of Micheal Savage and Glenn Beck. However for real evidence in the Hoax I find that in Kevin Williams at news 10 in Rochester NY. He does not believe in "Global Warming" and he is the head meteoroligist of that station and realy knows his stuff. I do also believe that we need to be good stewards of this world that was created for us and not to do unnecessary harm to it in the daily life that we live. So I do care and like to do my part, but I think there are some missguided people in this world that would have us all to believe anything that rolls out of there mouth without question. ps Nice links Pat

Lori Davidson_2
8/3/2009 12:10:50 PM
No doubt about it www.350.org is a great site when talking about global warming. 350 is the number that leading scientists say is the safe upper limit for carbon dioxide--measured in "Parts Per Million" in our atmosphere. I even have them tagged on Facebook. Good reading. Lori Davidson

Chris Mount
8/2/2009 8:48:32 AM
First, let me say that the hotly debated hoax known as Global Warming is precisely that....a HOAX. This infamous hoax was perpetrated by the likes of one greedy little pusillanimous piece of human excrement known as Albert Gore, Jr. He perpetrated this scam in order to bilk a lot of people out of a lot of money to the end that he had more and a lot of others would have much less. So, therefore, I am doing NOTHING to combat global warming because I wont be guilty of contributing to the perpetration of a LIE. Now, at the same time, I am willing to and am planning to plant a garden and keep small farm animals to provide for most of my family's food, to plant some more trees on my place because they provide additional oxygen for us to breathe, to go back to hunting to contribute to my family's diet, AND, most importantly I am planning the construction of many solar panels to provide electricity for our home (not because of some effect it will have on the Global Warming lie) just to keep a lot of my hard-earned money from going into the pockets of the power company simply because I dont hold the belief that they deserve as much as they bilk me out of month after month.

Pat Miketinac
7/31/2009 10:44:54 PM
freedomforceinternational.org, lewrockwell.com, and motherearthnews.com/forums.