Earn Income in the Home Insulation Business

In the home insulation business, you can conserve energy while you earn over $30 an hour.


| September/October 1979



059-home-insulation-business-02-filling-hopper.jpg

Pouring a 30-pound bag of cellulose into the hopper of the blower.


ERIK V. ERIKSON

Ceiling insulation and storm windows are about the fastest-moving home energy conservation products around. And—even if you start on a shoestring—you can install such household improvements, learning the trade as you go, and earn as much as $400 for a single day's activity!

Because of today's rapidly increasing home heating and cooling costs, most folks are quite willing to "invest" in products that can cut down on their energy needs. I discovered this huge (and largely untapped) market back in 1977, when—after being unemployed for four months— started my own home insulation business. It's a venture which now enables me to earn a net profit of about $1,000 for every 30 hours I work! Such an enterprise requires little or no initial investment and can provide an immediate and impressive income. So if you need extra cash now, don't pass up this article!

A Shoestring, or Less!

My first two ceiling insulation jobs netted me a total of $170 profit for one day's work! I had no equipment of my own and had never done insulation work before. My brother gave me the necessary instructions, and I got the cellulose insulation— on credit and at a slightly reduced price—from a farm products store. The firm's special machine, which is used to blow the material into attics and walls, was lent to me free of charge, and I transported my supplies to the job site in a borrowed pickup truck!

Pick Your Product

The first thing you'll have to understand, in order to sell an insulation job, is the term "R-factor." R-factor refers to the amount of heat lost or gained through a structure's attic or walls over a period of time. (It's estimated that 55% of a home's heat loss takes place through the attic, and the other 45% through walls, windows, and doors.) The higher the R-factor, the more efficient the insulation.

In most parts of the country, a factor of R-19 to R-22 is the very minimum recommended for ceilings, while a factor of R-11 is considered to be "rock bottom" for walls. (An R-19 attic will contain about 4 inches of insulation; an R-22, about 6 inches; an R-24, about 6 1/2 inches; an R-32, about 8 inches; and an R-40 about 10 1/2 inches.)

Since many suppliers carry only cellulose blow-in insulation and a machine to apply the material, you should know the many selling points of this substance:





Crowd at Seven Springs MOTHER EARTH NEWS FAIR

MOTHER EARTH NEWS FAIR

Sept. 15-17, 2017
Seven Springs, PA.

With more than 150 workshops, there is no shortage of informative demonstrations and lectures to educate and entertain you over the weekend.

LEARN MORE