News about the health and beauty of the natural world that sustains us.
Whether you’re a teacher, parent, school administrator, or homeschooler, you might be interested in some of these online resources related to green/environmental education. These websites provide ideas for curriculum, lesson plans, and hands-on activities for teachers and students. Most of these resources are related to K-12 schools, but some also apply to higher education.
- Best Practices in Green Education (U.S. Green Building Council)
- Center for Ecoliteracy
- Center for Environmental Education
- The Cloud Institute for Sustainability Education
- Earth Day Network: Educators’ Network
- Eco-Schools USA (National Wildlife Federation)
- EE-Link (from the North American Association of Environmental Education)
- Energy Education: Teach and Learn (K-12 energy-related lesson plans and activities, from the U.S. Department of Energy)
- Energy Kids (U.S. Environmental Information Administration)
- National Energy Education Development Project
- National Environmental Education Foundation
- U.S. EPA Teaching Center and Environmental Education resources
- U.S. Green Schools Foundation
Outdoor education is an important branch of environmental education. The concept of “nature-deficit disorder” is described in the bestselling book Last Child in the Woods. It’s especially important for urban youth, who may never have spent any time outside of their neighborhoods or cities, to be given opportunities to explore and learn in nature/wilderness settings. At-risk youth can benefit greatly from outdoor learning experiences provided by wilderness programs such as Outward Bound, as well as farm-based programs like those offered by the Center for Land-Based Learning.
For additional resources on green curricula, click here. And if you know of other useful resources related to environmental education, please share your suggestions in the Comments section below.
Related Post: Green Schools—Resources and Links (mostly related to greening school buildings/facilities)
Miriam Landman is an accomplished writer, editor, and sustainability advisor with expertise in green living, green building, and sustainable communities. For daily links to sustainable solutions and success stories, connect to her Facebook page for The Green Spotlight.