The Bureau of Land Management Promotes Homesteading in Alaska

Read about the restrictions on the Department of the Interior's decision to make 10,000 acres of land in Alaska available to homesteaders in the 1980s.
By the MOTHER EARTH NEWS Editors
January/February 1982

The government offered inexpensive land in Alaska to brave and willing homesteaders.
ILLUSTRATION: MOTHER EARTH NEWS STAFF

Number Crunching in Alaska and Why Drilling Isn’t the Answer

Everyone's talking about drilling in Alaska, so why learn some numbers to do some talking of your ow...

Building a Cheap Greenhouse

HOMEGROWN Life blogger and Bay Area homesteader Rachel shares how she built a cheap greenhouse out o...

MOTHER’s Publishing Company Starts Garden on Front Lawn

Learn about how some members of the MOTHER EARTH NEWS team joined with others at their publishing co...

Make Your Pond Happy

Ponds serve many purposes that add an economic or recreational value to the landowner. If you own a ...

Recently, one of our readers informed us that the Bureau of Land Management (an agency of the Department of the Interior) was planning to open up a large tract of Alaskan land under a homesteading-type program.
"Please tell folks that there's free land to be had by those with the guts to take it," urged the writer.
Well, friends, "guts" is the key word in that last sentence. During December 1981 the BLM was to have made available 10,000 acres in the heart of Alaska, in an effort to encourage people to establish their homes and businesses in the sparsely populated forty-ninth state. However, the land is pretty rugged . . . and it would take a person with well-honed survival and homesteading skills to make a successful go on his or her claim. The land isn't entirely free, either: It will cost a reasonable $2.50 an acre to those who successfully fulfill the settlement requirements and pay the filing fees necessary to obtain legal ownership of the tract.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS asked a BLM representative what kind of environment a would-be pioneer might face.
"The land is extremely isolated, with minimal tree coverage, and there's no road access," the spokesperson replied. "The settler would have to have resources of considerable size to fly in — or barge in — food and fuel supplies. Also, since the acreage is in the state's interior, there's not much water and there are negative temperatures much of the year. It'd take a lot of effort."

Yet, in spite of the territory's drawbacks, the Alaska Settlement Program does offer an experienced homesteader a very attractive opportunity to obtain land for little more than sweat equity. And — if there's enough public interest in this initial offering — the BLM may open up other large Alaskan tracts in a similar manner.

Here's a little general information on the property that's currently available: The acreage is located north of Lake Minchumina (the northern portions can be reached by riverboat along the Kantishna River). Three types of claims may be made: homesite, headquarters (generally used for big-game guiding and trapping operations) and trade and manufacturing (these claims may be used for businesses such as roadhouses, lodges and recreation cabins, the production of handcrafts for sale, and so forth). The maximum size of the homesite and headquarters-site claims is five acres ... while business claims may run as large as 80 acres. The residency and/or improvement requirements for each of the three types of claims vary, but in each case the land will cost $2.50 an acre, once an applicant has met the necessary criteria.

jeff
6/1/2014 10:13:14 AM
How can I get more information on this ?

Dave
3/26/2014 4:29:59 PM
would like to know more about these land as mention above. The acreage is located north of Lake Minchumina (the northern portions can be reached by riverboat along the Kantishna River). Three types of claims may be made: homesite, headquarters (generally used for big-game guiding and trapping operations) and trade and manufacturing (these claims may be used for businesses such as roadhouses, lodges and recreation cabins, the production of handcrafts for sale, and so forth). The maximum size of the homesite and headquarters-site claims is five acres ... while business claims may run as large as 80 acres. The residency and/or improvement requirements for each of the three types of claims vary, but in each case the land will cost $2.50 an acre, once an applicant has met the necessary criteria. please contact me at laosaibye@live.com thanks!

trapperred
1/31/2014 6:15:50 PM
I wanted to email some of you asking questions about AK landsales. I am in the process of buying Moose creek east Lake front property baby! Sweet. I went to the AK DNR Dept.of Nat. resources. and looked at the properties. They have a lot of good deals for cheap considering the scenic awesomeness. It is a lenghty process. I signed my contract in Nov. and I just call and they said I should be getting my final contract signed sealed and delivered in about two weeks. The only thing I would caution you about is a lot of the land is accessible by boat or plane not all but be mindful my email is trapperred@hotmail.com

Melissa
12/12/2013 7:10:35 PM
Alishastar1234 How did you acquire your homestead? I am completely ignorant when it comes to the process I should follow to obtain a homestead in Alaska! This has been my dream for some time and now that my children are all grown, I can finally pursue it. Please help with any information you may be able to provide. Thank you, Melissa L. Bex Nannasheart@outlook.com

alishastar1234
11/24/2013 12:40:45 PM
I Would like to get pointed in the right direction as well. Moving up there to homestead in nine months and I need to get the land issue dealt with. alishastar1234@gmail.com is my email. any good help would be very much appreciated.

Jamesheim1970
11/18/2013 10:06:54 PM
any and all info will be a god send. Please email me. jamesheim42@yahoo.com so I can stake my claim. God bless

Jamesheim1970
11/18/2013 10:03:58 PM
Please Email me the info I will need to get started with my homestead and stake my claim. my email is jamesheim42@yahoo.com please anyone and any info will be a god send.

dcam
11/13/2013 5:06:58 PM
hello, my name is Dominick and I am looking for info for a homesite. my email is dcmgoldstar@gmail.com I am very interested in learning all that I can, to make a clam. thank you for your time

Shi Loung
1/31/2013 12:57:56 PM
hi, email me with info please anyone who has knowledge, like lisa i need to get pointed to the right direction. I'm very interested my email is x_yosai@yahoo.com thank you anybody with help

Lisa Perkins
1/4/2013 6:23:41 AM
I have a question I hope someone is able to help me with. I am looking to go off the grid and would like to acquire some land to self sustain myself by hunting, fishing, gardening, and a few animals. I would also love to be able to go all solar. I have been told the are opportunites through different organizations that will provide you land or the grants to purchase land if agree to maintain the conservation of the land by homesteading. Is there anyone out there that may be able to help me and point me in the right direction as I have been unable to locate anything myself. Thanks for the help!

Pat Arthur
7/21/2012 3:05:26 AM
i wanted to find out if property is currently avilable for sale? email me at midgetpat@aol.com