Natural Health

Healthy living, herbal remedies and DIY natural beauty.

Sleeping with Bed Bugs? Find Out Before It's Too Late

5/17/2011 9:59:52 AM

Tags: bed bugs, Bird-X Bed Bug Alert, bed bug extermination, bed bug eradication, bed bug alert, bed bug monitoring device, bed bug control, Robyn Griggs Lawrence

Robyn Griggs Lawrence thumbnailI’ve had a (possibly inordinate) fear of bed bugs since they returned to our shores after decades of near-extinction. Since they first crawled into New York City several years ago, the little bugs have infested cities across the United States. They’re in homes, apartments, hotel rooms, airplanes and public transportation seats, and they can attach themselves to our clothing or luggage and hitch a ride home with us. Bedbugs in my home is a nightmare I don’t ever want to deal with.

Last week at the National Hardware Show in Las Vegas, Bird-X introduced Bed Bug Alert, a nontoxic, rigid plastic bedbug monitoring device—about the size of a business card—that slips under a mattress or into other tight spaces where bedbugs are suspected. Inside the device, a special gel containing human pheromones attracts and traps bedbugs if they are present, alerting you to the problem before it’s too late. Bird-X has been producing humane, nontoxic and environmentally friendly pest and bird repellent products since 1964.

Homeowners can use the Bed Bug Alert device to check daily for the nasty, biting little critters. Hotels can use it to monitor all rooms, and travelers can test hotel and motel beds upon arrival. I can keep it under my mattress and call my local pest control company immediately if a bedbug shows up in my bed. (Bed bug eradication, especially if you have an infestation, is best left to professionals).

Earlier this year at the Second Annual National Bed Bug Summit in Washington, D.C., experts said the best tactics for getting rid of these pests are integrated pest management techniques such as using dessicant dust, mattress encasements, removing clutter, using a vacuum cleaner, chemical treatments and heat. "The clothes dryer is the number-one line of defense,” Dr. Dini Miller of Virginia Tech University told attendees. “Clutter removal also helps by removing bed bug hiding places."

bed bug package

bed bug device

A gel inside this business card-size device attracts and traps bed bugs. Photos courtesy of Bird-X

Concerned About Bedbugs? Be Vigilant, Keep Your Home Clean

During national bedbug summit, health experts urge thorough cleaning and heat as the best prevention...

Not Welcome in My Bed: How to Prevent Bed Bugs

Bed bugs are taking over America. You can prevent them naturally.

Don't Let the Bed Bugs Bite: Tips for Prevention and Eradication

“Bed bugs” are small nocturnal insects that feed on blood. Here are some tips for keeping them out o...

New Natural Bed Bug Busters a Boon for Travelers

EcoSmart's new line of natural bed bug repellents can prevent the pests from hitching a ride home wi...

Karen Beltran
7/22/2011 7:30:22 PM
I have bedbugs in my apartment. I sent for and used the Bed bug spray BEDLAM I also have MotherEarth D powder. My question is can I use this on my matress or is it only for outdoors?

Becky McCaslin
6/13/2011 8:03:57 PM
Ok I have bedbugs and my landlord has chosen to do monthly pesticide treatments that are done my an exterminator. I would pefer them to do the heat treatment though, but I guess they do not have the funds available for it. It seems like the pesticides are not working and the bugs are quickly multiplying. At first when the bed bug detector dog came in my apt a month ago, it only alerted to the bugs being upstairs, now I am killing the bugs downstairs too! The only thing that the pesticides have accomplished is the realization that my apartment also has cockroaches, I have only lived here for a few months and have never had problems with bug infestations. I am wondering if anyone has any tips and also how do I purchase the bed bug alert.

Suzanne Horvath
5/27/2011 5:28:32 PM
OOps - forgot to mention chiggers. I had a terrible time (after mowing the lawn) with chiggers. Now I just spray my legs before I mow - no more chiggers.

Suzanne Horvath
5/24/2011 12:57:26 PM
Sherry, just go to the cedar oil companies websites. The one I use is Cedarcide, but there is also Wondercide and many others. All the info about fogging is on their sites. And it's not oily - look at the documentation. I'm very happy with how it works for me. I haven't had to fog the whole house, but all the other ways I use it has been fine.

Sherri
5/23/2011 8:47:14 PM
How would you use the cedar oil as a fog?

Donna_62
5/23/2011 12:48:23 PM
Exterminaters use heat treatment to kill bedbugs.Yes it is very expensive. I love the red cedar oil advice!

Todd_12
5/23/2011 12:08:21 PM
With all due respect to Robyn Griggs Lawrence, "Bed bug eradication, especially if you have an infestation, is best left to professionals" is bad advice. The pro will spray toxic chemicals inside your house and most likely the bug relief will be temporary. The Dr.s comment about diatomaceous earth is right on. Do not spend the money for a professional pest control company to contaminate your house and still have a bedbug problem. I researched bedbugs online and ended up using diatomaceous earth and the bugs have been gone for months.

Dr. Bob Morey
5/23/2011 11:09:58 AM
Dusting with Diatomaceous Earth is inexpensive,safe and effective. DE dehydrate the parent and kills the egg. DE works well on larger bugs, too and is safe for kids and pets. Avoid eyes and inhalation as it is a mechanical irritant.

Suzanne Horvath
5/23/2011 8:43:11 AM
I have been using red cedar oil (Cedarcide, Wondercide etc) for a few years for flea & tick treatment on my cats, It can also be used for bed bugs. You can fog your whole house if necessary - it's not oily, but the mist is derived from red cedar oil. This stuff kills most insects. We have these prehistoric looking bugs that look like a cross between a spider and grasshopper and they jump. If I see one, I just give it a little spritz of the red cedar oil and within seconds it's a goner. Same with mosguitos, stink bugs, spiders etc. During flea season, I spritz some all along my sofa since that's where my cats plant themselves during the day. The cats don't like the scent, but get used to it after a while. It smells like a cedar closet, so it's not offensive.