Natural Health

Healthy living, herbal remedies and DIY natural beauty.

Will You Get a Flu Vaccine This Year?

9/11/2009 9:58:59 AM

Tags: flu vaccine, H1N1, seasonal flu, flu prevention, question to readers

Flu Shot

We recently asked our readers (you) whether they would be getting a flu vaccine this year, either for H1N1 (swine flu) or seasonal flu. Given the large — 924 votes! — and interesting response, we wanted to know a bit more. For reference, let’s start with the poll and results:

Q. Are you going to get a flu shot this year?

1. No, I never do. 56% (516 votes)
  2. No, I’m worried about the side effects of vaccines. 16% (152 votes)
  3. Yes, I do every year. 18% (164 votes)
  4. Yes, I’m specifically getting the shot for swine flu (H1N1). 6% (54 votes)
  5. Yes, a seasonal flu shot, but not a swine flu shot. 4% (38 votes)

Total votes: 924

For starters, more than half of you won’t be getting a flu shot this year (which seems to match an informal poll taken around the MOTHER EARTH NEWS office). Of the 28 percent that are getting flu shots, only 6 percent plan to get the H1N1 vaccine. However, we first asked this poll two weeks ago, and in that time H1N1 has renewed it’s appearance in the media as cases are being reported around the United States, particularly, it seems, in university settings. It will be interesting to see, as flu season heats up, how these numbers shift — or don’t.

Personally, I'm not getting a flu shot (I never have), though that’s my personal decision, and not in any way a recommendation. I will be extra diligent about frequent hand washing and enjoying herbal teas (ginger, echinacea) and elderberry supplement drops. I’ll also be sure to up my veggie and fruit intake and keep the “junk” snacks to a minimum. And I will detour off the all-natural path to do a twice daily Listerine rinse. My dad swears by it. (Have you ever seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding? Remember the bride’s father and his faith in Windex? This will give you an idea of my dad’s feelings about Listerine. Though in all fairness, I have yet to see him actually spray it on anyone.)

Now that we’ve gotten the poll results in, I’d like to hear, in your words, whether you’re planning to get a flu shot (or have already) and why or why not. If you’re not getting a flu vaccine, what other tactics do you use to stay healthy and flu-free during the fall and winter?

Photo by iStockphoto

Are You Worried About the H1N1, or Swine Flu, Virus?

As H1N1 (also known as "swine flu") continues to spread, people are taking a variety of precautions ...

Do Flu Vaccines Really Work?

Although the Centers for Disease Control has launched a vigorous nationwide public health campaign u...

Mercury and Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs

Is the mercury in CFLs enough to worry about? Here the scoop.

Swine Flu Linked to Factory Farms

H1N1, or swine flu, didn't have to be the epidemic it is today. Are factory farms to blame?

bernadette adkins
4/18/2012 11:50:51 PM
I never get the flu shot - as an otherwise healthy person I don't feel it is necessary. Besides that - there are thousands of flu viruses out there and the CDC tries to make its best guess as to which ones will be most prevalent in the coming year. Generally, there are only about 3 virus strains included in the flu shot. So just because you get a shot doesn't mean you won't get the flu. And the last several years the CDC has been wrong in there guessing consequently all of those people who paid money to get a flu shot were no more protected than those who opted out. Don't get me wrong - those individuals in high risk categories need all the protection they can get and should consider getting the vaccine but for otherwise normal healthy persons I don't believe it is necessary. The single most effective way to prevent the spread of infection is hand washing. Oh yeah, and move to the country where there is abundant fresh air and people don't live on top of each other. Since we've moved away from a large city to a very rural area - going on 4 years now - I cannot remember the last time any one in my family got anything other than a simple stuffy nose.

Kerry_8
9/25/2009 12:54:21 PM
Last February, I got the flu... and then I got "walking pneumonia." I don't suppose most of you know what that feels like. Here's my story. I woke up one morning fairly delirious and decided to get myself some Tylenol. I was in a bad way. I ended up PASSING OUT in front of my two-year-old daughter while trying to walk to the bathroom. I don't know how long it took to reawaken, but when I did- my daughter was standing over me shaking my arm and looking worried. I then crawled to the bathroom to get the thermometer: my fever had reached 104.6. About 30 minutes (and some Tylenol) later, after I had called someone else to come take care of my daughter so I could go to the hospital, my fever broke and went down to 102. My friend still took my daughter so I could recover. I decided not to go to the ER. The next day, I passed out while taking a hot shower. I decided to go to my doctor ASAP. He prescribed me antibiotics. I HATE ANTIBIOTICS! They make you feel miserable. But after a couple days on them, I have to admit- the pneumonia had subsided and I felt MUCH better. My daughter, who also got the flu, developed an ear infection. She had a fever for over 10 days. She was put on antibiotics too, against my better jugment, and ended up being allergic to penicillin. She broke out in a rash over her entire body. Thank God she's not allergic to Keflex. NEVER AGAIN! Now, as far as either getting a flu shot and having the 6.6 out of 1 million chance of a bad reaction, or getting the flu and having the 10% chance of getting pneumonia or a secondary bacterial infection and being almost hospitalized and having to take antibiotics and having a 15% chance of having a bad reaction from those? YOU BET YOUR ASS I'M GETTING THE SHOT! The side effects of antibiotics are WAY worse than the side effects of the shot. Just think about THAT. My daughter's getting a flu shot this weekend too. As for the H1N1 vaccine? I don't know yet- we

Michael_88
9/24/2009 11:51:29 PM
The Science Behind Vaccines How our bodies respond when we attempt to artificially create immunity could have more of an impact than you think. Just exactly what that 'junk' is includes live or attenuated of the virus, which require preservatives to prevent spoilage, and an adjuvant, which excites the immune response to the vaccine. Some common vaccine ingredients presently include: Formaldehyde Aluminum hydroxide (adjuvant) Aluminum phosphate Thimerosal (mercury) Polysorbate-80 Gelatin Ammonium sulfate Sucrose Monosodium glutamate (MSG) Aspartame Phenol (obtained from distillation of coal tar

Charlie G
9/21/2009 12:42:33 PM
I was diagnosed with genital herpes in 1998, A friend suggested taking 50 mg/day of ZINC. I had been taking 50 mg daily for about 3 years, then nothing associated with the herpes, I had to have blood work done. Read very closely the following statment. I HAD NO SIGNS OF GENITAL HERPES IN MY BLOOD. Zinc keeps your immune system healthy! As long as I take 25 mg daily I dont get sick. I increase to 50 mg during the flu season. There could be something specific to my body that caused my cure, but if I was you I would give it a try. Just think how much money the medical and pharmasudical industries stand to lose in profit if this ever gets out. So please keep it under your hat. And in answer to the question NO I havent taken a flu shot since 2004

Theresa_19
9/20/2009 5:48:19 PM
I have had inoculations for my son, but as for flu shots (knock on wood) my family never had the flu and never got flu shots. Most people I know who has had flu shots gets the flu anyway so I would never get myself or my son injected every single year! Babies however, and the elderly I can understand doing this.

Damiana
9/20/2009 3:14:07 PM
I teach third grade, so I do get a flu shot every year. It's not something I did until I started teaching, but my college-aged children have asthma, so I don't want to bring anything home. I am considering the H1N1 vaccine simply because one of my offspring is now uninsured, and young adults in their twenties with preconditions like asthma seem to be more vulnerable to this flu. I recognize the arguments both for and against vaccines, and considerable thought has gone into my decision. If I had a job that didn't expose me to so many children with runny noses and hygiene that is still in development, I probably wouldn't risk it.

Tina Holady
9/18/2009 4:15:56 PM
I have gotten the regular flu shot and will get the swine flu shot when it comes out next month. I have no insurance and cannot take the chance of losing everything I own because I get sick and can't pay for it.

Elly Lane
9/17/2009 1:28:37 PM
Sometimes I think the government is trying to thin the herd with these Vaccines and I don't trust them, and sometimes I think that they are their best attempts and just happen to sometimes suck since they're untested. Either way, the worst flu I've ever had was days after the one and only flu shot I've ever had (and outside of that I'm pretty sure I've never had the flu before or after that), and I got severe cervical dysplasia that required surgery after I tried that Gardasil vaccine. I don't believe for a second that I already had that, especially since 2 other girls I know got it right after their shots too. One of these girls was a virgin! It's just too weird and coincidental to be believed. Sometimes I really think vaccines are just population control, but I really really hope not.

artistgal
9/17/2009 1:01:54 AM
In 1974, age 28 and pregnant with second child, I was diagnosed with Guillian Barre syndrome, a virus that attacks the nerve endings causing paralysis and sometimes death. I was told that the virus was usually a side effect of the flu (which I did not have) or as happened with the swine flu shots of 1975 where 100's of people were infected with Guillian Barre syndrome. Subsequently the The program was canceled. Over the next few years I began a search for causes of ill health after having gall bladder surgery. Now at age 64, I can say that I definitely will NEVER have a flu shot. I have learned the principles of healthy living and am healthier now than I was at age 28. My immune system is strong and I have never had the flu and no longer have colds. I have 14 grandchildren and I am not concerned about whether they are sick. They cannot GIVE me a cold or flu if my body is strong enough to repel it. I have chosen to keep from my diet, ... fast foods, caffeine, alcohol, any soda pop, milk. I choose mostly fresh fruits and vegetables, pure water, small amounts of whole grains, meat sparingly, limited dairy, as much raw as possible and a few well-chosen supplements. Most important I keep a positive, happy, outlook on life and health, with much gratitude for the abundance in my life(I didn't say money)

Geri Bishop
9/16/2009 7:45:08 PM
Are you serious!?!? This swine flu vaccine is just another scam for the pharmacutical companies to make even more money!!! We need to keep our immune system strong by eating foods and taking supplements high in antioxidents to avoid any cold or flu.

DrFood
9/16/2009 4:09:52 PM
I will be getting both flu shots this year. I am a health care provider and thus, even though I have an "immune system of steel" I can still be a carrier of illness to susceptible patients. The flu shot is not a big deal. If you have a skilled administrator, it doesn't even hurt! (O.K., your arm or leg will hurt the next day, but it doesn't burn like some vaccines when it is injected.) I had an instructor in medical school tell me "If you're trying to figure out if your patient has influenza, ask them if they want to die. If they say yes, it's influenza." There's a lot of confusion about "flu," because we use the same term for multiple illnesses. Stomach flu is a completely different thing. In general, influenza leaves you looking like the guy in the Nyquil commercial--fever, aching, stuffy nose, cough, headache. In kids, the fever can be quite high (I've seen 105 many times). For most people, they just need lots of rest and fluids, but for some people every year either it gets seriously into the lungs and leads to respiratory failure, or the weakened person picks up a secondary bacterial infection. This is where the fatalities and hospitalizations come in.

born2fly
9/16/2009 11:03:06 AM
None of my family will be getting the flu shot. I personally believe there is such a thing as being over-vaccinated. As a former public school employee, I have to wonder why if there's so much fuss over getting this vaccine, why are so many of the kids still out sick during flu season? I think that people really need to do the research on the vaccines before they chose to do it for themselves or children.

FarmGirl_3
9/15/2009 10:28:50 PM
H1N1 viruses descended from the 1918 strain, as well as H3N2 viruses, have now been cocirculating worldwide for 29 years and show little evidence of imminent extinction. Jeffery K. Taubenberger* and David M. Morens† *Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Rockville, Maryland, USA; and †National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA Aside from this reference, my own dear departed grandmother in law, who lived through it, told me she watched people die around her to the point the town mortician was crying because he could not take care of all the bodies, and they were stacked in the streets. The information above should be heeded. I work in an elementary school that has already had one confirmed case last week. I use supplements, eat much better than many people and practice good hygiene, but I have asthma and other chronic illnesses. I am also 57. I have noticed during the years when I do take a flu shot, I do not get sick as often, or for as long a time when I do succumb (probably due to more stress). I will take the H1N1 vaccination when it becomes available. I will be taking the regular yearly one tomorrow. I had to downgrade my insurance and cannot afford to take the chanc

FarmGirl_3
9/15/2009 10:24:56 PM
An estimated one third of the world's population (or ≈500 million persons) were infected and had clinically apparent illnesses (1,2) during the 1918–1919 influenza pandemic. The disease was exceptionally severe. Case-fatality rates were >2.5%, compared to <0.1% in other influenza pandemics (3,4). Total deaths were estimated at ≈50 million (5–7) and were arguably as high as 100 million (7). The impact of this pandemic was not limited to 1918–1919. All influenza A pandemics since that time, and indeed almost all cases of influenza A worldwide (excepting human infections from avian viruses such as H5N1 and H7N7), have been caused by descendants of the 1918 virus, including "drifted" H1N1 viruses and reassorted H2N2 and H3N2 viruses. The latter are composed of key genes from the 1918 virus, updated by subsequently incorporated avian influenza genes that code for novel surface proteins, making the 1918 virus indeed the "mother" of all pandemics. In 1918, the cause of human influenza and its links to avian and swine influenza were unknown. Despite clinical and epidemiologic similarities to influenza pandemics of 1889, 1847, and even earlier, many questioned whether such an explosively fatal disease could be influenza at all. That question did not begin to be resolved until the 1930s, when closely related influenza viruses (now known to be H1N1 viruses) were isolated, first from pigs and shortly thereafter from humans. Seroepidemiologic studies soon linked both of these viruses to the 1918 pandemic (8). Subsequent research indicates that descendants of the 1918 virus still persists enzootically in pigs. They probably also circulated continuously in humans, undergoing gradual antigenic drift and causing annual epidemics, until the 1950s. With the appearance of a new H2N2 pandemic strain in 1957 ("Asian flu"), the direct H1N1 viral descendants of the 1918 pandemic strain disappeared from human circulation entirely, although the relat

shelleysays
9/15/2009 6:12:11 PM
I will not be getting the vaccine due to an egg allergy. The vaccines are grown in eggs and contain egg albumin. Not a risk that I care to take. I have considered taking the flu-mist vaccine, but have not been allowed because of a history of asthma (currently in remission). They do not give flumist to people with Asthma. Sounds like I'm outta luck even if I did want some protection. Guess I'll have to stay healthy and build up a natural immunity. Is it crazy to say that I'm actually looking forward to some lazy, sniffly days at home this winter? I have some reading and videos to catch up on. Yeah, I know it will be more than sniffles, but who can go through life without ever getting laid up for a week every now and then. Builds Character.

Mary Sparling_2
9/15/2009 10:56:56 AM
No because my doctor dosen't get them either so I figure there must be a pretty good reason, does your doctor get a flu shot? ask him or her, but be careful they may not want to tell you....

BP Leeds
9/15/2009 8:56:20 AM
I did not get a flu shot this year or any year, unless I got one when I went to sea.And they gave me days of shots then. I have an allergy for eggs. Any medicine grown in egg is not a good idea for me. Like penicillin. They make it less than 50 miles from my house.

agdocsouter
9/15/2009 8:05:46 AM
You betcha, I am going to get both shots when they are available. Having had measles, mumps, chicken pox, and Polio, all before there were vaccines, I am not so dumb as to not use what science has congered up, to avoid the pain and suffering that is avoidable. I noticed several parents who because of certain principals they have, refusing to have their children inoculated. May I strongly recommend they have the very best health insurance money can buy, because if they or their children are infected....it is going to be really expensive. And no, I don't think society should pay for your mistakes.

Tasha
9/15/2009 7:03:54 AM
As a rule I vaccinate my children against everything possible including the flu. I came down with the flu long time ago, and it was really bad. From that point on, I make sure to get vaccinated. When the vaccines against the swine flue and hopefully against the bird flu become available our family will get them too. I believe in science as much as I believe in nature. If it comes down to survival of the fittest, I want my kids to have at least a fighting chance.

Mary_80
9/14/2009 8:53:42 PM
I will not be getting a flu shot this year.I have had cancer (breast) twice and am diabetic but I feel this flu stuff is a scheme to thin out the population.I feel the same as Reptile crusher. There's something weird going on and I choose NOT to be a part of it.Poisons are belting around this beautiful planet like never before and it has to stop.We need to take control of our own health.Eat fresh home grown veg and fruit and take oreganol oil daily.Wash hands regularly and just use common sense.Mary.Canada.

Tom (Hubie)
9/14/2009 7:48:14 PM
As I used to work around lots of people and have to use their keyboards. I started yearly flu shots years ago. I'm now fifty-nine and, haven't had the flu in several years. I'll get it this year, but not the H1N1. With dubious ingredients and insufficient testing makeing it dangerous for us. The fact that health workers don't want it makes it a no-brainer for me.

Melanie B
9/14/2009 4:59:49 PM
No vaccines here -- most have mercury (thimerosal is 49% mercury). From the CDC website -- "There is no convincing scientific evidence of harm caused by the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines."... I would add to that "not yet". And, some people believe thimerosal is linked to autism. There are thimerosal free vaccines - but that is not highly published.

Katie_17
9/14/2009 4:20:58 PM
First, most people would agree that "the flu" is fever, stomach cramps, headache, vomiting, etc. This is NOT what the flu shot is supposed to prevent. The flu shot is for influenze which targets the respiratory system and can potentially lead to pneumonia. Many people complain that they received a flu shot (influenza) and still got the flu (a stomach virus). Personally, I would much rather take my chances with the influenza than inject myself or my family with a questionable blood product. We do not vaccinate against anything. I know what could happen to me if I contract an illnesses which the vaccines are designed to prevent. However, there is so much debate and controversy over the safety of vaccines that I can't be sure of the outcome if I vaccinate my family. Besides, it is a known fact that for a few days following a vaccine, the immune system is compromised, leaving the body susceptible to any number of viruses and bacteria. We eat whole foods, fresh vegetables and fruit, get plenty of fresh air and exercise, drink a lot of water and take vitamin supplements. My children go even further to boost their immune systems by chewing gum from the under-side of restaurant tables, licking escalator hand-rails, chewing on shopping cart handles, etc. And they rarely get sick. This is natural immunity at its best and I feel it is the most effective means of preventing seasonal viral infections.

Joseph Valenta
9/14/2009 4:07:35 PM
No to flu shots. Last, was in 1976. Eat healthy, cut back on red meat. Lower sodium intake and eliminate High fructose corn syrup,MSG, and other toxins. Reduce and eliminate STRESS which causes inflamation of blood vessels and heart problems. Maintain a Positive Mental Attitude. A healthy immune system will take care of the rest. We were born with a Brain-----USE IT.

Donna_4
9/14/2009 3:04:32 PM
Neither my husband nor I will be getting a flu shot. We never have gotten one and don't plan to start now. I guess our diet and lifestyle has a lot to do with not getting sick since our last bout of influenza happened back in 1991. Our best advice: Eat healthfully, get plenty of restful sleep and above all WASH YOUR HANDS!

William Castle_3
9/14/2009 2:58:40 PM
I am with the majority, no shots for me or my family. One of the biggest tactics of anyone selling anything is through fear. They are called "fear mongers". It is very obvious that the time is over due to take our health care in to our own hands. Medical Schools are simply a complex marketing plan for the Pharmaceutical Business. A some what related case would be the "Millinuem Scare of year 2000" totally a scam and to get to the bottom of it, simply look at who is/are going to profit from it. The same with war,health care, banking etc. Personally,I take colloidal silver as a regular maintenance thing and haven't had any viral or bacterial problems since I started several years ago. It is not advertised cause no one can make any money on it, cause you can produce it at home for pennies. William John Castle

Cheryl_29
9/14/2009 2:55:04 PM
Since I began taking the flu vaccine 4 years ago, I have never had the flu. I will be taking the vaccine again this year. However, the H1N1 is different than the seasonal flu vaccine and people who take it have an 8% greater chance of contracting Guianne-Barre Syndrome. If I lived in an area where the H1N1 mortality rate was high, I might take my chances with the vaccine. Since I do not live in such an area, I will take my chances with the H1N1. I will be washing my hands more often, keeping my hands away from my face and cleaning the house, doorknobs, and phones more often.

Seana
9/14/2009 2:51:17 PM
I have been getting the flu shot yearly since 1997 with the exception of a few years back when they were only available to the elderly and health-compromised. That has been the only year that I have gotten the flu, and it was a terrible reminder of why I get the shot. I was deathly sick not once, but twice, and will hopefully never go through that again. I will also take the H1N1 vaccine, as will my 3 year old twins. They were immunized against RSV as infants, and have had the flu shots as well. I believe that vaccines are a tool to be used in conjunction with exercise and natural foods to give our bodies the best chance to live healthy lives in a world where the diseases just keep getting worse.

Criss Kraus
9/14/2009 2:12:44 PM
Regular Flu Shot - yes. H1N1 NO. I used to work for a healthcare organization and the regular flu shots were mandatory. Talked to a friend of mine, still working there, and they are not required to take the H1N1. In fact most of the healthcare workers there are not getting the H1N1 for their children stating that common sense preventative practices will prevent H1N1 flu so no need to endanger the kids with an "unknown side affect" factor of the H1N1 vacine.

Cherlynn
9/14/2009 12:05:28 PM
My doctor told me a couple years ago to stop taking all flu shots due to my liver disease. Currently in our area, those getting the H1N1 flu and suffering the most are the younger healthier people who have been taking the flu shot each year!

Betsy _1
9/14/2009 12:03:13 PM
I will get a flu shot because I'm around children a lot. I've never had a bad reaction to a flu shot. I probably will not get the swine flu shot because reports are that people over 65 are less likely than others to get the swine flu

Ken_25
9/14/2009 11:55:55 AM
Absolutely not! Never get the flu shot and the one year that I did I ended up with Pneumonia.. and was told by a doctor that I now had Asthma. That last time the Federal Goverment tried to endorse H1N1 (Swine Flu) Shots 46,000 people and soldiers died from it.. perhaps we need to take a longer look at the government’s track record here, starting with the very real flu pandemic of 1918-1919. During the fall and winter of those years, an estimated 500,000 Americans died of Spanish Influenza (as a percentage of today’s U.S. population, that number would be about 1.4 million), and millions more died overseas. The flu outbreak coincided with the last days and the immediate post-armistice days of World War I, with government actions guaranteeing that the flu would spread rapidly. 1976: President Gerald Ford orders a nationwide vaccination program to prevent a swine flu epidemic. Ford was acting on the advice of medical experts, who believed they were dealing with a virus potentially as deadly as the one that caused the 1918 Spanish influenza pandemic. The virus surfaced in February at Fort Dix, New Jersey, where 19-year-old Pvt. David Lewis told his drill instructor that he felt tired and weak, although not sick enough to skip a training hike. Lewis was dead within 24 hours. The autopsy revealed that Lewis had been killed by "swine flu," an influenza virus originating in pigs. By then several other soldiers had been hospitalized with symptoms. Government doctors became alarmed when they discovered that at least 500 soldiers on the base were infected without becoming ill.

cryingfromthewilderness
9/14/2009 11:40:08 AM
reptilian crusher, you are so right. This is genocide. Anyone who takes this vaccine will be a vector to spread an even worse strain to everyone around them. So all of you who still believe vaccines are grandma's chicken soup, you are going to be a big part of the reason this lab-created flu gets spread so world wide. Think of that.!

Reptilian crusher
9/14/2009 11:07:56 AM
This is a global internationalist elite attack on the people of world. They want to reduce the population. This is biowarfare. Do not take the vaccine. It is widely predicted that the vaccine will cause more harm than the virus. This may not be apparent straight away but after a few months or a few years. There is the possibility of Guillane-Barre syndrome,the same motor neurone disease that affected Gulf war soldiers who had all been vaccinated against toxic radiation during battle. It is very likely this vaccine will cause the same. There is no such thing as a good vaccine. No pigs have been infected by this 'swine flu' it has been created in a laboratory. The best thing for alieving the symptoms of flu is to eat elderberry's, in season now so will generally be dried,these contain an enzyme that stops the hormone of the nose, mouth and throat clinging to the virus,the virus is then eliminated quicker. Drink colloidal silver(e-bay);electrolysis of water and 99.9% silver electrodes, drink hemp oil in small doses. This cures cancer. Many people are dying of 'flu' but there is no proof it is 'swine flu' the media has enjoyed much hype with inflated figures of supposed infected persons, this is because they want to encourage mass vaccinations,before perhaps they make innoculuation compulsory.

Page
9/14/2009 10:37:15 AM
Whoever listed the ingredients of the swine flu shot...thanks... and then add sqaulene. It is the 'conductor' of the entire mess into your body and cells, and it was found to be responsible for Gulf War Syndrome. It is known by the FDA to be dangerous (causing auto immune problems), but will be put into the swine flu vaccine anyway! Will I or my husband be getting the swine flu or flu vaccine? HELL NO! We don't care if others want to, its their choice, so far, unless of course they live in Massachusetts where they will be forced to get it. Never mind that the new law will ride roughshod right over two constitutional rights, Massachusetts citizens will be FORCED to get it, or be fined $1,000 per day/incarcerated in quarantine camps, your property destroyed (in case it could carry the flu!)and all without warrant. To us, this is all about choice. You want the vaccine(s)? Get 'em. We don't want them and neither do we want to be forced! Whether any of us forget, this is not a Democracy where the majority rule. We live in a REPUBLIC where no matter how small or large the minority or majority, everyone gets to make their own choices concerning the way they live. The only thing we would stress is knowlege. STOP watching the TV with the billions of dollars of ads for the pharmaceutical companies wares. Start doing some research on the internet and read all the different viewpoints. You just might find yourself 'choosing' not to get jabbed with ingredients that are suspect to say the least. While you're at it, check out the stats on how many people who got vaccines still got the disease they were vaccinated for...versus those who did not get vaccinated and stayed healthy. Get either flu? Stay in bed, rest, take care of yourself. Even the swine flu is supposed to be pretty mild, so turn off the screaming media whose job it is to scare you into vaccinations. Think for yourself and question authority...and make your own

Ruth_17
9/14/2009 10:28:43 AM
Yes, I will have a flu shot this year. I work within the elderly population, it is recomended that I receive one. Also being a single mother, I would probably get one anyway to avoid missing work or being unable to care for the children.

BJ Richardson
9/14/2009 10:25:33 AM
I have never gotten a flu shot before, and in the occasional year I came down with the flu (very infrequently) it would last a week or less. This past year, however, I came down with the flu and it lasted for over 3 weeks. Perhaps it is our changing environment and increased population or perhaps my increased age (49) which caused the severity of last years illness, but either way, after weighing the pros and cons of said shot, I believe a flu shot will be in my best interest, as well as the best interest of my family.

Becky Novak
9/14/2009 10:21:41 AM
Q. Are you going to get a flu shot this year? A. Undecided, but probably not. I feel damed if I do, and damned if I don't. I don't like all that I've read about the pros and cons. It sounds risky either way. I've had vaccinations since I was born (1950). I taught school for over 20 years, and was required to get regular TB testing, and I usually got all the annual flu vaccinations. I have not had flu shots for maybe the past 4 years since my retirement. I have a 92-year-old father living with us, a pregnant daughter due in December, a 5-year-old granddaughter (Kindergarten), myself and husband. Great Grandpa has medical issues with COPD and uses two inhalers, and is on oxygen therapy. My daughter and granddaughter both have inhalers for asthmatic flare-ups when colds occur. I had pneumonia once in 1990. My husband had asthma temporarily in 1997 due to overexposure to toxic photo chemicals (toxic chemical poisoning). We would be considered a high risk family with these health conditions. Still I can't decide if any of the flu vaccines are worth the risk anymore. I don't know who to believe. We eat healthy, and get exercise. We live 25 miles outside of Yosemite in a high country rural area, (3,000' elevation) and we grow our own organic foods, drink our pure well water (very important) and buy additional foods from our local Groveland grocer, and more produce at the Organic Farmer's Market in Groveland. At this point, I am leaving our general health over to the grace of God. We are, each one of us, destined to live as the Creator has planned for us. I am letting my thoughts and fears be eased in daily meditation. I pray to the Guardian Angels to protect us, and keep us safe from harms way. My alternatives are too difficult to decide. I place my faith in the Holy Spirit(s) my protectors. "EFT and tapping" also help in bodily healing...check it out on Google.

cryingfromthewilderness
9/14/2009 10:17:02 AM
PLEASE LISTEN all of you clear thinking people. VACCINES ARE POISON, always have been, always will be. Vaccines do not help the body's immune system fight any disease, it assaults it creating a multitude of problems in your system, completely bypassing the God given immunity gatekeepers, ie skin, nose, eyes, mouth etc. You have been lulled into a false sense of security thinking that our FDA is protecting us. Here's how it plays out financially. When board members of the FDA own stock in the drugs that they are approving, how objective do you think they can be? When the big pharmecutical companies are giving tens of thousands of dollars to doctors to push the stuff and worse yet, and our own government is giving legal immunity to these pharm companies so we can't hold them accountable for death and damage caused by the shots. Makes ya wonder, huh? Many politicians own stock in these vaccines as well. Follow the money and motive. There is some awesome research being done by Dr. Andrew J. Moulden BA,MA,MD,PHD, who has found that all vaccines, flu, pneumonia, childhood vaccines and gardasil are all causing mini strokes in everyone who gets them. The ones who recover have a stronger system that those who die or are permanently damaged by them. Go to www.brainguardmd.com to follow this ground breaking new evidence. This "swine flu" was manufactured in a lab and purposely put out into the public to start this "pandemic". This is straight from the WHO, who admits to starting it. Final note, your average doctor has no clue the harm that vaccines have done over the years. They do no independant research. Your health department pushers are clueless, they do no research. So, be smart and research the safety and efficacy, the truth, about vaccines for yourself. I am an RN and have always refused all vaccines because I know the truth. www.brainguardmd.com

Dinae
9/14/2009 10:01:03 AM
I've not gotten a flu shot, of any type, in probably 25 years. Nor will I this year. I don't believe in them, don't find them effective, and am highly suspicious of the pharmaceutical industry, the AMA, and above all the Federal government. If this unholy alliance will just leave me any my health choices alone, we'd be MUCH better off. And I echo many of the comments already made, about the contents of the vaccine, the contents of the vaccine, and the marketing of pharmaceuticals to willing addicts.

rick nichols
9/14/2009 9:54:31 AM
i get a flu shot every year, my doctor recomends it, i have diabetes. i don't need to be sick. about 19 years ago i got the flu and it turned into pneumonia and i about died, yes i will get both flu shots thanks rick

Heather _1
9/14/2009 9:40:55 AM
Before you submit to the shots get more information and realize that what you are being told by the mass media may not be the truth. This is not the only place that some pretty powerful information about the lies behind the flu shots are exposed. So when you have adverse effects don't say you were not warned. http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/696.html

Steven Polly
9/14/2009 9:26:23 AM
This is the first year that I've gotten a flu shot but I did get one when I was in high school probably in 1968 or so. But they probably didn't even work back then. The reason I got one was mainly my age, I'll be 58 in 2 months. I don't really think I've ever had the flu. Because when I get cold like sicknesses, I my body ever hurts like people say when you get the flu. I guess better save than sorry. I'm also planning on getting the shot for H1N1. I wish people would stop calling it the swine flu, it gives pigs a bad rap. Plus it hurts the pork industry. All business needs all the help they can get. Thank you and God Bless. Steven M. Polly

Mary_77
9/14/2009 9:14:03 AM
I'm 56, don't get flu shots, and don't plan to this year. I don't share the absolute certainty about this choice that other commenters seem to have; however, I'm inclined to agree with letting your body deal with immunity issues and trying to support it with rest, exercise, and good nutrition. I, too, have grown more mistrustful of drug companies and their persuasive affect on the medical profession.

ccm989
9/14/2009 8:30:46 AM
Because I have grade school children, they will be getting the regular flu shot (not the swine flu version). The regular flu kills far more people than the swine flu (at least so far). Anytime you have children in school, you are exposed to everything they are. A couple of years ago, my kids got the flu and gave it to my husband as well. After nursing all three of them for two long weeks, they got better and THEN I GOT SICK! I hadn't been sick for years so it really knocked me out (fever was 104!). I stayed home and took Tylenol and was much better after 3 days. Bottom line, if you've got young children, get vaccinated. If they get sick, you will too.

Briana_1
9/14/2009 8:00:01 AM
Do you know the contents of the H1N1 vaccine.(or any vaccine?) The contents might surprise you. * aluminum hydroxide* aluminum phosphate* ammonium sulfate* amphotericin B * animal tissues: pig blood, horse blood, rabbit brain, dog kidney, monkey kidney, * chick embryo, chicken egg, duck egg* calf (bovine) serum* betapropiolactone * fetal bovine serum* formaldehyde* formalin* gelatin* glycerol*squalene * human diploid cells (originating from human aborted fetal tissue) * hydrolized gelatin* mercury thimerosol (thimerosal, Merthiolate(r)) * monosodium glutamate (MSG)* neomycin* neomycin sulfate* phenol red indicator * phenoxyethanol (antifreeze)* potassium diphosphate* potassium monophosphate * polymyxin B* polysorbate 20* polysorbate 80 * porcine (pig) pancreatic hydrolysate of casein* residual MRC5 proteins* sorbitol * tri(n)butylphosphate, * VERO cells, a continuous line of monkey kidney cells, and * washed sheep red blood

Irene Desi
9/14/2009 1:57:39 AM
to those future vaccine damaged people.. remember when and if you get hurt.. vaccine companies are not liable.. and you will be told you are a coincidence.. just like hundred of thousands of parents... and it will be too late... and just because you get a shot and don't immediately feel any reaction... does not mean your unaffected.. vaccines do damage to your brain and your major bodily organs. you are more susceptable to cancers arthritis lupus leukemia and a host of other issues... alzhiemers.. etc... research before you let this happen to you. It should be alarming to people when a government announces they want to make injecting thier citizens a mandatory law.. and enforce it with a agencies compromised of pharmecutical ceos and persons with conflicts of interest that profit from the loss of your rights and the utter violation of your body

Irene Desi
9/14/2009 1:52:50 AM
what will our childrens future be like when noone has any natural immunity to thier enviorment... what will it be like who will take care of all these vaccine damaged kids...does anyone realise that the people responsible for all this vaccine policy have serious conflicts of interest like stocks and patents.. the politicians recieve millions.. cdc reguraly hands out waivers for conflict of interest... we are loosing our rights ... to our bodies.. think about it.. they are gaining the rights to forcefully inject people...there is something wrong with this.. there is nothing so deadly that could justify this... and there is no vaccine safe or effective enough to warrant laws like this.. vaccines did not wipe out disease.. education awareness and hygene wiped out much of it... we have to question why children in this country need 50+ injections.. there is something seriously wrong with that... whos' going to fix the immune systems of future generations that no longer respond the way they were supposed to develope to respond.. this is about money.. it's about control.. it's about billions of dollars of profits made from this flu vaccine... most doctors do not vaccinate... so the nurses theory is wrong.. if unvaccinated people were such a threat.. most doctors would have killed a large number of people.. she's not talking fact she's selling fear and the propaganda she's been trained to hear and say.. I really hope that people learn how to take care of thier health and stop this insane idea that we must give our bodies over to this vaccine business.. this has to end.. i for one do not like the idea of being forcefully vaccinated.. it's inhumane

Irene Desi
9/14/2009 1:43:37 AM
For the nurse who talks about all these deaths from once benign childhood diseases... most of these diseases DECLINED BEFORE THE VACCINES WERE INTRODUCED. Less than a fraction of 1% of anyone who ever had polio ever had any debilitating long lasting effects from the disease.. dying from measles usually meant you had a vit A deficiency.. anyone who suffered from common childhood disease had underlying health issues.. and no every family did not loose a child from those diseases.. that is a LIE. as far as pregnancy goes what were those mothers' underlying health conditions.. much of the flu deaths being reported are from underlying causes and pharma is using unconfirmed cases to sell fear..... but regardless...instead of common childhood disease and natural immunity we are trading heavy metal toxicity, autism, autoimmune disease, vaccine induced encephalitis.. sids.. and an long list of other problems.. we have the sickest kids in the world... we have 1 in 50 kids in some areas aLL AUTISTIC we are LOOSING OUR RIGHTS TO OUR BODIES.... Our children will suffer having pharmacuetical companies mandating every profitable medical therapy they can mandate... and in no way should anyone be forced to take any medical therapy agaist thier will... you can talk about all the travesty you want.. the criteria for diagnosis changed when the polio vaccine came out to make it look as if polio was going away when in fact all they did was diagnose it as meningitis... unfortunately some people are better at repeating propaganda geared to make people fearful and sell a vaccine... IT IS A FACT THAT FLU VACCINES ARE INEFFECTIVE.. do some research... vitamin D is more effective than any flu vaccine they have ever come out with... and in this country it is a fact that there are some seriously nutrient deficient pregnant mothers... whatever the case most of these people who suffer complicaiton have underlying health issues... and like i pointed out... these injection travel to the brain...

Tom_63
9/14/2009 12:07:24 AM
I will not nor will my family take the H1N1 flu shot or any other. We say healthy using apple cider vinegar/Colloidal silver/Elderberry/Vitamin D3/Oil of Oregano as well as other Homeopathic remedies. The Pharmaceutical and Agri-Business Industries are entirely corrupt.

Lee_20
9/13/2009 5:47:45 PM
I have already gotten my seasonal flu shot; I get one every year. I'm a nurse, take care of many sick people, and do not want to get sick myself. I had the flu a long time ago and it's very debilitating. Many people call a bad cold "the flu", so they don't really know how sick the real flu can make you. I'm not sure yet whether I'll get the H1N1 vaccine; I'm still doing my research on it. But one of my patients (and all of her family) had the swine flu last month and they were deathly ill for 3 weeks. Someone had to come into their home to take care of them because they were so sick. She said it was the worst illness they've ever had. She is currently pregnant and lost 17# during those 3 weeks. She's very blessed not to have had preterm labor or even lost the baby. Pregnant women seem to be getting swine flu at a rate that is 6 times higher than the general public. Two young pregnant women have died of swine flu in my state this year; one of them died just 2 weeks ago. They saved the baby (who had to be delivered prematurely), but the poor 20 yr old girl didn't make it. One last thing, most of do not remember the horrible outbreaks of measles, mumps, polio, and other contagious diseases that happened back in the 1920's-1950's. My mother lost the hearing in one of her ears from measles, an uncle was crippled from polio, and a brother-in-law died at 4 yrs old from polio. My mother and mother-in-law have told me the sad tales of how devastated families were when their children were dying from these diseases; most families lost at least one child. Vaccines have eliminated most of these killers, but now many people take it for granted that we live in a society that doesn't have to worry about losing our children to these diseases. Talk to some elderly people and ask them how it was before vaccines were developed. For Irene Desi who commented "these vaccines are not as effective as you

Irene Desi
9/12/2009 1:58:08 PM
I would also like to mention that this vaccine industry is strewn with conflict of interest... all these vaccines they could never get you to take unless they made you fear these once benign common childhood diseases... People have got to wake up before you loose the right to say what goes in your body... what about your children.. you have big pharmaceutical companies that are funneling millions into the pockets of beurocrats.. laws are being made to take away your rights as people, and parents to have a say in what medicine you do or don't take. There are 6+pharmaceutical lobbysts for each member of congress... who is there for you... ??? Many of these vaccines have come to need boosters because disease mutates and in some cases other once innoccuous strains are NOW becoming lethal.. and many strain that cause these disease aren't covered by these vaccines.. these vaccines are not as effective as you would think and are not safe.. there is no such thing as a safe vaccine...this is going to get worse before it gets better and the shame of it is there are innocent people paying the price... when you cannot protect your children.. when you loose the right to choose for them... maybe you'll remember reading this.. i hope you are not one of the parents whose descision has cost thier childs life or health and then you'll realise no one is liable but you.. you can't sue the pharmaceutical company that did this to your family and no one will acknowledge what has been done.. you cannot take a vaccine out once you put it in.... www.nvic.org

Irene Desi
9/12/2009 1:33:58 PM
I would never get a shot for h1n1 nor would i get one for flu... i don't need an injection ... do people ever stop to think about where this all travels in the body... dead or live viruses, bacteria, dna, adjuvants, etcetc... when you recieve an intramuscular injection.. it travels directly to the brain.. your brain does not excrete metals well.. if at all... you have disease settling in your body where by naturally aquired would never ever be .... we have an enormous epidemic of sick children brought on by vaccination... and may i add.. future generations will have little natural immunity to thier natural enviorment.. we are being manipulated by fear to turn a profit for pharmaceutical companies... first of all the very idea that we could eliminate disease is absurd.. in the case of vaccines we have traded natural disease, which comes with lifelong, not temporary immunity for Iatrogenic disease... I think that this whole idea that every time we find a new disease or call a new marketable injection a vaccine that people run out and inject themselves with the false belief it's safe and will save them is unfortunately.. not true.. and just because the damage is not felt immediately or is not obviously identifiable we should stop and think real hard about what is happening... In this country and many others.. pharmaceutical executives are being given remarkable powers to dictate public health.. and enforce it by law... you may one day not have a choice.. and as of now in america pharma is not liable for damage it does to you... or your children

SR Davis
9/12/2009 8:30:14 AM
I do not usually get the flu shot but this year I will be getting the H1N1 vaccine. I have thought long and hard about this and even though I am apprehensive about it I am going to get it. I started back to college this year working on my Master's and then will be working on my Phd so I am exposed to a lot more people than usual(even though I am a nurse exposed to sick people all the time) plus I am responsible for the care of my mother who has a MS and I also take care of my 9 month old grandson a couple of times of week. If I were to get H1N1 I'm sure I would recoup but the danger of exposing my mother or my grandson could be very dangerous, especially to my mother which could be deadly for her. I am a nurse and normally don't take the flu shot and never have I have but I have made the decision for the protection of the people I love and care about it. Unfortunately, my mother is unable to take the flu shot because of previous allergic reactions to it so I am her line of defense. Even though the hysteria may be overblown the Pandemic could become as deadly as the 1918 flu so I feel compelled to do it.

denise clark
9/11/2009 6:57:53 PM
I'm going to get a flu shot for sure! Last year I didn't contract the flu and I had the shot. What a relief, no missed work or school. It seems everyone else had it though, I felt sympathy for them. I work around the public and also attend college. Not everybody wash's their hands and covers their mouths when they cough or sneeze. I felt the extra protection was well worth the $30.00.

Holly from SustainableSuppers.com
9/11/2009 5:18:38 PM
I have yet to decide, but I'm bemused by the notion that building immunity "naturally" and then enhancing that immunity by getting a flu shot are automatically mutually exclusive. Let us not forget that diseases are just as "natural" as herbs and soups, and that such homeopathic remedies have, over the centuries, proven to be helpful in some instances and not exactly panaceas in others. Yes, we are right to want to know what is in vaccines. And, on a slightly different topic, we are right to question the overprescription of antibiotics and the overuse of hand sanitizers and the like. We are right to mistrust certain corporate or bureaucratic or mercenary interests and methods, but it would behoove us to remember that allopathic medicine itself is not the enemy. Some of us, I dare say, might not be here had our parents and grandparents not been privy to vaccines that had theretofore denied their parents the gift of longevity, health and immunity. * End of soapbox. Lots of soap. ;)

Becky_17
9/11/2009 3:40:40 PM
No. Never had a flu shot, never will.

Edward Croft
9/11/2009 3:36:26 PM
I do not plan nor have I ever gotten the flu shot except for when I was in basic and you had no choice. I have lived most of my life with barely a sniffle outside of allergies. I allow my body to deal with disease the way nature intended. Drug companies have made a big push to ensure that people need them so they can profit. Many of the antibiotics are no longer useful because of this overuse. Our bodies never learn to defend against these viruses so when the antibiotic no longer works, our bodies cannot deal with it. The thing about the recent university story is that they had the shot in the first place. The drug companies say that the virus mutated so they need another. yeah, and then the virus will adapt to that and mutate again. One of the arguments for everyone getting it is that if you get it, you can spread it. Well, even if I get the shot and don't present symptoms, I can still be a carrier. All you have to do is touch a door handle and whoop there it is. We need to let our bodies do their thing and learn how to defend against these attacks. The stronger our immune system becomes, the less we are affected. I rarely touch pills except the occasional aspirin or Tylenol when I have overdone it. I just let things run their course and my body seems to have built up a pretty good defense system. We have stop listening to the "legal" drug dealers. They just want you hooked.

Kari_7
9/11/2009 2:53:13 PM
I don't plan to get a flu shot this year. I never have gotten a flu shot and have no plans to change that decision. Being the parent of a child who had an adverse reaction to vaccines, I'm even more cautious than I might have been before that incident. We don't have any plans to vaccinate at all now.