Find Safer Soap, Shampoo, Makeup and More

Stephanie Bloyd, Mother Earth News
April/May 2007

brandZXpictures

Small Wonder: 823 Sq. Ft. Montana “Kiwi House” Brings New Zealand Home

The ‘Kiwi House’ is organized around the primal element of fire.

Weekend Project: Celebrate Hemp History Week by Making Hemp Soap

Cap off your Hemp History Week celebrations by making hemp soap. Hemp oil contains essential fatty a...

Winterizing your bees the natural way.

This post is about winterizing a colony of bees naturaly, using ideas and tips that we at BeeLanding...

Aveda Receives Cradle to Cradle Certification

Natural Home editor-in-chief Robyn Griggs Lawrence finds another great reason to indulge herself in ...

Did you know that cosmetics and personal care products aren't tested by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration before they go on the market? In fact, manufacturers are responsible for testing their own products for safety. Unfortunately this means unsafe ingredients may be lurking in your favorite soap, shampoo or makeup.

The Environmental Working Group found that 80 percent of the products they tested were contaminated with one or more substances linked to cancer and other health concerns. A recent Environmental Working Group study of 15,000 cosmetics found that 22 percent of them were contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, which the EPA classifies as a probable human carcinogen, and a known animal carcinogen.

The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics says many of these chemicals are easily absorbed into the body because they're applied directly to your skin. And while the chemicals in any single product may not be a concern, repeated exposure from a variety of sources can be detrimental to your health.

The Environmental Working Group has a searchable database, called Skin Deep, to help consumers choose better, safer personal care products. Also check out the following sites for more information:

Environmental Working Group Skin Deep Database

The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics

Grassroots Environmental Education

Teens for Safe Cosmetics Campaign

Not Too Pretty

FDA Cosmetics Information Page

SH
7/30/2009 12:59:14 PM
We use products for TheOrganicSoapCompany located in Ohio, their products are part of the Ohio Proud campaign and are 85% organic. They have salts from around the world as well. We like the unscented organic bath soap especially well.

Gaia_1
11/26/2008 5:10:01 AM
I wonder why people use organic soap, etc., then still dye their hair--? I just can't fathom the dichotomy. It's barely impossible now to see ANYONE that doesn't dye their hair! I even see 12 year-olds now dying their hair (of course their mothers do too).

Cleve
11/24/2008 12:14:08 PM
"Did you know that cosmetics and personal care products aren't tested by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration before they go on the market?" The flip side of this opening comment is this...the FDA DID approve Aspartame (back when Donald Rumsfeld was head of the Pharmaceutical company promoting it...knowing full well it put microscopic holes in the brains of mice). So do you really think a "blessing" from the FDA means it's good for you or even safe?!! Look at the plethora of crap up and down the aisles of every major grocery store that the FDA approved as "food" and I would argue that it's almost better NOT to have their blessing/approval.

M Smith_3
6/11/2007 12:00:00 AM
Terressentials, www.terressentials.com has the safest, most non-toxic soaps, shampoos and lotions on the market. Check out www.ewg.org to confirm this! Terressentials website also has great links to other organic and non-toxic websites.No other products compare.

Beth Stallard_2
6/2/2007 12:00:00 AM
I have found wonderful organic products through miessence. They have a full line of products including hair care, skin care, cosmetics, probiotics. I love the whole line. You can check them out at organicblessings.mionegroup.com

Dauda M.Alani
5/27/2007 12:00:00 AM
Dear sir/madam. Compliment of the day to you.I am M.Alani Dauda interested in participating at next upcoming programmes of making soap and other cosmetic products. I am using this medium to contact you to kindly send me more useful informations on the registration procedures. I am looking forward to your anticipated favourable response.Thanks. Yours sincerely M.alani Daudaalano60@yahoo.com

ram mack
4/29/2007 12:00:00 AM
Thanks to Mother Earth Living for your good tips you have put to rest most of may questions, but not this one yet:I want to do it may self,just provid me with the formula & chemicals used in making Hair Conditioner at home.Thanks.

Cheryl Stroup_2
4/27/2007 12:00:00 AM
I make my own soaps and shampoo bar, with beer and silk fibers. www.sacredshowers.com I know these products are pure because I made them, and natural soap is environmentally friendly with its 1/3 glycerine and 2/3 soap components. No fragrance oils either, only pure essential oils scent my traditional soap line. Nothing like genuine soap for great skin.

Sara Livingston
4/24/2007 12:00:00 AM
Chemically sensitive, I use Bio Green Systems to clean, Essential Shampoo and Conditioner for hair.www.biogreensystems.com/freetobe has a great tea tree cleaner with alcoholcalled Biosol. I can not be around alcohol but it does evaporate, outgas quickly so my daughter cleans for me while go out. Ecopure ,which I can use is an awesome all around cleaner. Their Laundy systems is also earth friendly which is what sold me on the products. Strtches farther than other products out there. Less is more.Happy hunting!

william foster_2
4/23/2007 12:00:00 AM
I only use certified organic shampoo,toothepaste,shaving gel etc,.They have been certified to food standards so I know they are pure and all natural.If it does'nt bear a third party certification,I wo'nt use it.I buy mine at www.organicrhinofamily.mionegroup.com

C Walck
4/21/2007 12:00:00 AM
www.ahhhbathworks has natural soaps that are great for your skin.

Amanda Curley
4/20/2007 12:00:00 AM
I purchase all my soaps, shampoos/conditioners, cleaners & makeup through Melaleuca, they are a no chemical base company and enviornmentally friendly. You have to join like a SAM's club membership but the products are wonderful and healthy for us and Mother Earth.