Wherever possible you should try to limit your exposure to
dust, smoke and allergens. Besides practicing the obvious —
not smoking, not having pets, and cleaning frequently — you
should also consider these measures:
1. Remove carpeting from bedrooms and living rooms.
2. Don't use heavy drapes or curtains.
3. Cover pillows and mattresses with allergy covers.
4. Designate certain rooms pet-free.
5. Run a dehumidifier in the basement during the
6. Clean the basement walls with a diluted bleach solution
to reduce mold growth.
7. Use an exhaust fan in the bathroom.
8. Wipe down showers and baths after each use to reduce mold
9. Install a ducted range hood to reduce odors and cooking
10. Use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter so that you
don't reintroduce dust and allergens that have already
settled on carpets.