Raw Milk Renegade

Conflicts over the sale of raw milk have spurred a big debate.
By Lynn Keiley
August/September 2008

Is raw milk a superfood or major health risk? You may not get to decide.
ISTOCKPHOTO
Slideshow

Purple Hull Peas?

So, what are Purple Hull Peas? They are a green shelled pea that cooks into a creamy, yummy delight...

This little girl is caught up in the rodeo world. Submit your own photos, and you could be the next ...

From Milk to Butter

Using fresh raw cream to make butter by hand.

A Designer Cow and Calf Barn Just in Time for the Big Snow

A short post about how we built and designed our new cow and calf barn for hot and cold weather.

Family and customers of Mark Nolt, a Pennsylvania farmer, watched in horror last April as a squadron of police cars and state agents drove him away in handcuffs. Was his crime terrorism? Narcotics? No. Nolt was selling raw milk, yogurt, fresh kefir and cheeses directly from his farm without a permit.

Pennsylvania is one of a handful of states that allow farmers to sell raw milk directly to consumers if they obtain a state-issued permit.

Raw milk enthusiasts think that unpasteurized milk contains important microbes and enzymes that help protect against everything from allergies to eczema. A 2007 Swedish study of nearly 15,000 children across five European countries found those who drank unpasteurized milk were significantly less likely to suffer from asthma and hay fever.

Until recently, Pennsylvania was fairly tolerant of unregulated unpasteurized milk sales. But lately, even farms with permits have been subjected to vigorous testing and surprise inspections by the state’s department of agriculture. Authorities maintain that raw milk consumption can lead to food-borne illness.

In Georgia, raw milk is required to carry a label that reads “not for human consumption.” Cow-share programs, in which consumers buy a share in a cow for a portion of its milk, were recently shut down in Ohio and Michigan. California has tried to impose strict limits on the amount of bacteria raw milk can contain — a tactic decried by supporters because unpasteurized milk naturally contains a variety of bacteria.

Despite the efforts to stem the interest in raw milk, the number of dairies across the country offering the milk is growing exponentially. In Pennsylvania, raw milk permits have more than doubled since 2005, fueled by renewed consumer interest in locally produced wholesome foods. It’s attractive to farmers because those who send their milk to big dairy conglomerates struggle to get $1 to $1.50 per gallon, while those who sell raw milk to consumers are getting from $5 to $8.50 per gallon.

Nolt says what he’s doing is strictly a private matter between producers and willing consumers. Furthermore, many contend that such transactions are rights that are guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution as well as Pennsylvania’s original Food Act of 1935. Nevertheless, Pennsylvania fined him more than $4,000, and confiscated more than $50,000 in equipment and fresh dairy products. Nolt plans to appeal his case.

Deaonna_1
2/26/2010 10:53:05 AM
I think it is a shame you can not purchase raw milk. I was raised on raw milk. The stuff you get now adays makes me sick at my stomach. I think that the government just wants to give the farmer the small amount of money for their produce and charge to consumer lots so they make the profit. In the state of West Virginia I can only find raw goats milk which I don't like. I would love to purchase raw milk but after reading the article about the guy in PA I would not want anyone to get in trouble for me wanting raw milk. Shame on the government for restricting raw milk to be purchaased.

Stephanie_21
9/16/2009 4:05:05 PM
I absolutely LOVE my Raw Milk!!! I have beeen very sick for years, about once a month!...then starting in May (my last cold) I started drinking real milk on a daily basis. I have not been sick since!!! Which is amazing! And I am a waitress I work with lots of people and touching their dishes!!! I will only drink raw milk from now on! The thing that gets me is that we can buy ciggs, alcohol, and other items we know are bad for us and yet something as healthy as raw milk is banned in 1/2 the states!!!! mmmm...yeah something is wrong with this picture... I say at least give us a choice if we want to buy raw milk let us, and if someone still (for some crazy reason) wants to buy mass produced fake milk...let them. soon they will realize what raw milk has done for centuries...keeps people strong and healthy! and lactose intollerant will be a thing of the past. Does anyone know what I can do to help make it legal in all the states???

sjp
7/25/2009 7:24:53 AM
Raw milk - excellent for my health and well being. Buy a gallon for $3.00 each week and usually get to watch the jersey being milked. Milk is strained in front of me and put into my jug. So I know the cow personally. Raised my kids on raw goats milk. No allergies, no real health issues. I wouldn't loose any sleep over worrying about diseased cows. The percentage or chance is so small. No soda in our fridge! sjp

Raymond James
3/11/2009 6:47:45 PM
In response to Able Goodman's comments on the Government. The last time I checked the government was composed of the people. The people vote for office holders (county commisioners, board of health, mayors, state representative, Congressman, Senators, President). If you do not like the law as written work with your state representative and state senator and change the law. I too think Raw milk sales at the farm should be allowed in all areas of the United States.

Mitch_2
3/11/2009 1:02:14 PM
Hello, Sabine Homestead. I too am from the Sabine , Bon Weir. My Grandfather squirted Cow's Milk directly from the cow to our open mouths. The aim varied. Instead of drinking 'Cokes', I drank 1 gal. per day, on a school day, and more on weekends. I not only never got sick, but I was very healthy. For healthy, natural worming of cows, research DE. For all your pets. Drink Up.

George_7
2/2/2009 9:16:12 PM
I think it is absolutely disgusting that this farmer was taken away in handcuffs for selling milk. This is another example of the government going to far. Nobody was forced at gun point to buy the milk. Joe public sits by and lets the government spiral out of control. The founding fathers are turning in their graves. Everyone involved in that fiasco should be strung up!

sabine homestead
11/17/2008 5:59:29 PM
Hi from east Texas , IT is legel To Sell Raw Milk In Texas With a Permit , Type in Texas Raw Milk and you will find all kinds of mostly Raw Goat Milk Dairys nere you ,,, and one day i will be one too ,,,,, Thanks

LD_1
11/3/2008 6:51:14 PM
Re: PE's comments of "raw milk from southern California seems more subject to contamination as well, though 'consumers' tend to think the reverse." Where did you pull that tidbit out of? The raw milk we get here in SoCal is perfectly fine, and the quality is good. Claravale is great, with Organic Pasture (sic) coming in second.

luann white
11/2/2008 9:43:28 PM
We have a few nubian goats that I milk to make home made goat milk soap. Tired of the allergies I get from commercial products. I decided to try drinking it. wow! It was so much fresher. When the new season comes in the spring I will be milking 3 goats and hope to drink as much goat milk as they can give me. raw goat milk! I assure that it is refridgerated as soon as I am done milking and alway strain it through a cloth, no worries here. In Illinois i can sell it off my farm raw if someone ask me to sell it to them. I can not advertise! but sorry guys, they will have to fight me for it first.

Emily_2
11/2/2008 3:00:09 PM
All of these comments are good, but they still overlook one fact. I have a food budget of $25-$75 in any given week. I am feeding 4 people with this food. I make everything, including yogurt and cheese, from scratch to save money. In my state of NM, there are two dairies that sell raw milk; both are too far away to purchase from. There are no herd shares in my area that I can find. I would love to feed my kids raw milk, I grew up with goats and loved them. But, at this point, I am just happy when I can afford to pay $4.50 a gallon instead of $3 a gallon, and get no-rBGH milk. Forget even mass-produced organic--here it runs $6+ per gallon. The one dairy selling raw cow's milk charges $10 per gallon. I can't afford that price. Regulations don't matter to me--what matters is getting food on the table. I don't care if Obama, McCain or Mickey Mouse is elected; the real problem is that the entire system of food in America is broken when I am forced to buy bad food in order to have any food at all.

Rita Swaringen
11/2/2008 2:07:09 PM
I'm in Texas, where it is illegal to "sell" raw milk, but you can buy into a cow and drink her milk, because she belongs to you. The dairies where this is possible are few and far between because there aren't many people who will pay that premium. What the consumer consumes, the producer will produce, if you don't legislate them out of business first. I'm so tired of hearing how bad the dairy, meat, egg industries are. If you want good conditions, you have to pay for them. Pay attention to where your food comes from. If you want to really have some fun, next time you go out to eat or to the grocery store,ask where they get their meat or produce. But be prepared to go through several people before you get an answer.

Veronica Vatter
11/1/2008 10:56:50 AM
I know it is just sad how much the government has regulated things in our lives. In Europe, people eat unpasturized cheese (and drink milk that isn't either) all their lives and never have a problem. Although I must say that even pasturized milk beats that ultra pasturized milk that they sell now. YUCK! The only thing that is milk-like about that stuff is that is white. I'm sure soon that will be the only milk availible, you know for our own good! Sorry for any typos:)

Jeanna
10/31/2008 1:18:42 AM
Hi I was raised on a farm and loved raw milk, and I wonder, is it for sale anywhere in Az.? If you know please email me thanks!

kim_3
10/30/2008 5:48:42 PM
Hi- I know Maine allows off farm sales of raw milk and licenses for raw milk sales-check out www.realmilk.com for a list of where to get raw milk. It is a great product and I do believe with proper handling and healthy animals it is an amazing food, Kim

StJames
10/30/2008 9:24:41 AM
That just goes to show just how screwed up the governing body has gone. I do not like milk and butter from the stores, as much as I loved the fresh from the cow daily as a child growing up. I use to eat whole milk products made with my own hands. Butter and the like. These days the corn based products scare the HE double hockey sticks out of me. The corn base sugars are causing the nation to be nothing but needle depended on Doctors meds and GODS food has been changed and taxed out of control. GOV needs to get out of our business and let us go back to the healther side of life.

Lorna_1
10/30/2008 6:32:10 AM
Does anyone know which states, besides PA, allow raw milk to be sold? I grew up on a small hobby farm, drinking raw goat milk. We were rarely sick and never had a run-in with milk-borne disease. I wish I were able to give my children the same food/milk I had as a child. Instead, my children have twice had severe complications from big-dairy milk that was nowhere near the expiration date (poor handling/shipping?). Even milk that is closely regulated and tested can "go bad" if not handled, shipped or stored at the proper temperature. I don't mind regulation and testing, as long as it is not overly complicated or impossible for the small farmer to negotiate. I do mind not being allowed, at all, to have access to something I decide is safe and appropriate for my family. Not everyone is fortunate enough to raise their own milk animals. Feel free to educate me, to protect me with minimal regulations and testing, but then allow me to choose yes or no.

Yvonne Prough
10/29/2008 9:28:20 PM
Just about every one commenting is for raw milk. That is fine if you can be assured the cow is dieseae free. My life was changed because my father bought a cow who had clear papers but was not clear of brucellosis. I contracted undulant fever, not from drinking the milk, we drank raw goat milk, but from the water we drank that had been transported in the milk cans as our well went dry that year. Yes it was a goverment rule that was broken that the diseased cow was allowed to be sold. But raw milk can make you very sick. We thought our cows were all healthy. So you better know that those cows are regularly tested and get a clear bill of health. Or you will be the one sick. The government has done a good job of making sure our milk supply is safe. In fact many Doctors don't even know what Undulant fever is when I put it down on my medical history, that is how rare it is now. Yes you should have the right to your raw milk but that right has to be protected by following the rules carefully or there will be a time when Undulant fever would be better known.

Farmboy
10/29/2008 9:02:18 PM
We can expect more regulation if Obama is elected. He believes the government can handle the farm economy better by putting laws on the books, than farmers can by listening to their customers needs. Inspections are fine for commercially sold mass produced products, but the farmer should be able to sell his or her products if they are safe. I for one love our country and do not want more government control. I live close to the farm in the article and have read many articles in the local paper and I side with the farmers in this matter.

PE
10/29/2008 2:47:33 PM
Both the article and comments need to distinguish between small, usually family, operations and mega-dairies. 'Organic' milk from Horizon tastes inferior to more local milks; raw milk from southern California seems more subject to contamination as well, though 'consumers' tend to think the reverse. The aim of capitalist operations is profit, the bottom line, nothing else. Sincere organic farmers are a bit different, and don't worship the invisible hand that, right now, has rifled your pockets to save Wall Street from itself. By all means, have govt allow for small, local, energy-saving farms and gardens. But don't yield an inch when 'product' goes elsewhere, or comes from elsewhere.

kim_3
10/29/2008 2:03:01 PM
I think people who feel that the gov't should have such control over small farms is nuts! Most farms that you are able to buy raw milk from are family run and that family is consuming the same product they are selling-what more proof do people need that its going to be safe? The majority of contamination occurs when the milk leaves the animal and is mostly due to poor cleanliness in equipment. If the consumer visits the farm, meets the family and animals and see's the milking facilities they could most likely judge the safety themselves. I have been milking dairy goats for 6 years and legally selling raw milk and cheese from our home, we recently recieved our certification to bring milk and cheese out of the house for sales and I have jumped through all the hoops. We have kept our same practices all through the years and our lab tests have come back great. I do not feel my products are any safer now that I am certified, I feel they are just as safe as always and I just HAD to jump through those hoops to justify someones job! I am sorry to step on toes but I really wish people knew both sides before they comment. Kim

captgeobob
10/29/2008 12:38:53 PM
If obama gets elected expect congress to run wild with new and more restrictions on how we live our lives. "Able" hit the nail on the head. Where is America? Is it gone forever? We used to be able to decide for ourselves, now government wants us to be zombies and control us. I'm old now so I won't have to put up with it too much longer, but I am so sorry for the young people and children.

Hilary_2
10/29/2008 12:27:26 PM
...continued from previous comment... The FDA was initially created for a reason - to help protect the public consumer. I wouldn't mind if they actually did that but instead it's become a corrupt bureaucracy telling people what they can and can't do. It also makes me angry to think that my cat might have CRF (equivalent to human kidney failure) because of a government required vaccination. One he didn't even need because he's an indoor cat. (I did not know I maxed out characters ... plus I don't know why it posted my comment twice. Sorry!)

Hilary_2
10/29/2008 12:25:28 PM
I own a cow share in order to drink raw milk because in my state that's the only legal loophole. Last fall I drank raw milk and I also changed some of my eating habits and added in exercise. For the first time in 16 years I didn't get bronchitis (which for me is often accompanied by pneumonia) sometime between October and December. In January my farmer's milking machine blew up so we had to wait for the cows to give birth in the spring before we got milk again. Two weeks after I was off the raw milk I started having sever allergy attacks. I hadn't changed my new exercise and eating habits. For me it wasn't raw milk alone that helped me but it was a vital and obvious component to my health. Right now I'm not exercising or getting enough sleep and I'm a bit sniffly (not as bad as I usually am in the fall though.) I know that testing on myself isn't a scientifically controlled study but why should I wait for a study when my allergies get better drinking raw milk? And if you say "mind over matter" then trust me, I was skeptical. I even told my farmer that I thought I would be fine waiting for the spring for more milk since I had made other changes (plus we were past the months when I typically had the worst allergies and would get bronchitis.) What about those of us who HAVE done some research and feel like any minuscule risk is worth the extraordinary benefit. Should we have to fund our own scientific study to prove our point? Do you believe that high fructose corn syrup is natural and healthy also because Pepsi funded a study? Did you know that the FDA allowable amount of melamine in milk is a near fatal amount? I don't want the government regulating what I put in my body if it doesn't hurt someone else (that's why alcohol consumption and driving is illegal and also why smoking in public areas is becoming illegal in more areas of the country - it hurts other people.) The FDA was initially created

DENISE MOODY
10/29/2008 11:32:15 AM
The USDA and State Agriculture departments are doing this because of corporate dairies. It's a revolving door between the corporate dairies and these government departments. They know there is no good science supporting their claims against properly treated raw milk. So when necessary they fudge the numbers. If you really want to see just how much they want to control the small holder read "Mad Sheep" by Linda Faillance. It will open your eyes to the agriculture departments.

Melvin E. Tracy
10/16/2008 7:55:49 PM
Many laws are not thought out and are initiated on a rare incident by a hysterical law maker. For example, one million gallons of raw milk may be consumed but if one out of 40 million users become ill, then all the 39,999 million who profited from raw milk consumption are punished by laws made to "protect' the one individual. Government intrusion on private lives must stop.

Marcia _1
9/20/2008 6:17:47 AM
My family and I purchase raw milk from a local dairy which has a permit to sell raw milk. I make my own yogurt, butter, and cottage cheese with this wonderful stuff, and my whole family raves about the freshness and taste. When I was a little girl growing up in the late 60's early 70's our neighbors were dairy farmers, and every few days we walked through the field with our milk bucket and got fresh raw milk. It was what I grew up on, and I am extremely thankful that I live in a state (PA) that allows the sale of raw milk. It is unfortunate that Nolt did not comply with the due process of securing a permit. Granted, it is probably an arduous process, but if he had this hullabaloo would never have happened. And while I agree with Goodman's many points, it is unlikely that we will turn the government on its head anytime soon.

Wort
9/10/2008 2:31:28 PM
ND: Your well-meaning suggestion to extract the beneficial bacteria from natural milk and distribute as supplements to pasteurized milk is unfortunately the same approach that denuded health from our traditional foods; e.g., bread nutrition was downgraded by extracting the healthful fiber and natural nutrients from whole grain and replacing with poorly absorbed and sometimes toxic synthetic vitamins. Most often, the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. There are infinitely more variables involved in a whole natural food than scientists can extricate in a laboratory. It is this mentality - that we can disassemble life into particulates and put it back together "better" than it originated in nature - that has led to our mega-giant industrial food system and subsequent, increasing rise in degenerative diseases. I have yet to hear a convincing argument that this approach has improved our health, environment or food system, let alone justify the inhumane, community-destroying, solely commerce-driven practices of agribusiness. Identifying yourself as a public health/medical professional explains your stance on conventional recommendations for food and health, but I am struggling with your statement that health benefits from natural milk and other probiotic foods (like traditionally-made sauerkraut) "are currently only loose associations seen in observational studies." Observational, perhaps, but recorded over tens of thousands of years compared to barely a century for pasteurized industrial products. Natural milk has been used successfully as a folk remedy for centuries. Even the esteemed Mayo Clinic once prescribed clean, grass-fed natural milk high in butterfat for successful treatment of a variety of ailments; only when government intervention supporting industrially-produced milk did it fall aside.

Wort
9/10/2008 1:42:37 PM
Re: the alleged raw dairy outbreak statistics from 1998 - 2005, these will need to be properly substantiated, as I can find nothing to confirm these. In fact, most dairy-borne outbreaks in the last 50 years have been caused by improperly handled pasteurized milk. From 2000-2004 there were several listeria-related food recalls associated with pasteurized milk products and ice cream. Other outbreaks have been caused by fruits/vegetables that were tainted by conventional feedlot runoff, but were initially blamed on raw dairy. The USDA and FDA are run by big agribusiness who are eager to pin these outbreaks on raw dairy without so much as a proper investigation. When challenged, the actual source turns out to be something else (spinach, tomatoes, etc.) but no vindication of raw dairy is ever offered - instead, stern warnings against it remain, despite lack of evidence. For a partial list of outbreaks from 1982-1997, see http://www.realmilk.com/foodborne.html Everyone harbors E. Coli in their intestinal tract, it is a naturally occurring bacteria in all humans. It is when an imbalance occurs causing a lack of beneficial bacteria to counter the growth of E. Coli that illness strikes. Scientific studies show that pathogens will not multiply in properly grass-fed ruminants given no antibiotics/growth hormones/etc., specifically because other beneficial organisms exist to keep them from flourishing.

Wort
9/10/2008 1:27:40 PM
Re: the alleged raw dairy outbreak statistics from 1998 - 2005, these will need to be properly substantiated, as I can find nothing to confirm these. In fact, most dairy-borne outbreaks in the last 50 years have been caused by improperly handled pasteurized milk. Other outbreaks have been caused by fruits/vegetables that were tainted by conventional feedlot runoff, but were initially blamed on raw dairy. The USDA and FDA are run by big agribusiness who are eager to pin these outbreaks on raw dairy without so much as a proper investigation. When challenged, the actual source turns out to be something else (spinach, tomatoes, etc.) but no vindication of raw dairy is ever offered - instead, stern warnings against it remain, despite lack of evidence.

Wort
9/10/2008 1:01:32 PM
In response to the posting about 25% of all food-borne illness can be attributed to dairy products, this is because in the late 1800's, most dairies were already becoming filthy manure pens situated next to breweries to be fed highly acidic, spent brewer's mash as cheap/free food. By 1938, illness from tainted dairy was rampant, not only from sick milk and poor handling and sanitation practices from the dairies. As it still does in modern CAFO dairies, grain and grain-based industrial byproducts make the cows very sick - hence the need for massive antibiotics. Sick cows produce sick milk/meat, plain and simple. This was and still is the impetus for pasteurization - but it is unnecessary in pasture-fed animals. Raw milk from a conventional feedlot is indeed extremely dangerous, but raw milk from pastured cows and properly handled by a conscientious farmer is not only safe but substantially more nutritious and healthful.

ND
9/9/2008 5:46:59 PM
So long as we live in a nation where we assign the task of assuring food safety to the federal government, I don't think that certain foods should be exempt due to unverified health claims. The most reasonable course of action is to verify those bacteria in raw milk that are beneficial to human health and their mechanism of action, and to offer probiotic dietary supplements containing these bacteria. Whenever my friends here in North Carolina talk about their love of raw milk and its health benefits I remind them that, as a public health and medical professional, these food are not advised. Those in doubt should learn more about listeria monocytogenes, just one of the bacteria that is often found in raw milk products and threatens the health of immunocompromised people including infants, pregnant women and people living with HIV/AIDS. Probiotics is complicated business, and we should ask for more investigation into its risks and benefits instead of just consuming raw milk and assuming that it has myriad health benefits which are currently only loose associations seen in observational studies.

Omer Vahle
9/7/2008 12:10:00 PM
"Outrageously unacceptable behavior"! In the first place, we only have one side of the story. While a squadron of police cars and state agents would seem like overkill, we don't really know how much of that is hype. Second, last time I checked, we are a nation with a system of laws, and by the story line, Mr. Nolt did not have a permit. So, we can infer that he deliberately broke the law to provoke the state to react. As for the sale being a private matter between a producer and a willing customer, it could be argued that a meth sale between a user and dealer is a priate transaction also. Should this be allowed? Using this arguement is a slippery slope. My grandfather was a dairy farmer. He took pride in running a clean operation. But at the same time opportunities for contamination are rampant on the farm. Regular inspections to protect the consumer should be expected. As far as the merits of unpastuerized milk, who knows. Is there a definitive, double blind long term study available? Or are we really relying on anecdotal evidence. Even the pages of TMEN are full of advertisements with questionable products. Some of them are outright scams, but because they are printed in TMEN, they gain an inference of respectability. HHMMMMNNN..... are we being sold out by TMEN for the almighty dollar? .......................I'M JOKING!

shane ballard
9/6/2008 9:32:34 AM
A Robison, If you will please state the study where you got your information. I would like to know more on the good and bad of raw milk. Thank You

A Robison
8/15/2008 1:43:33 PM
In 1938 (prior to milk pasteurization) milk borne disease outbreaks accounted for 25% of all disease outbreaks from contaminated food or water, in 2005 that number had dropped to 1%. However, between 1998 to May 2005, 45 illness outbreaks implicated raw milk or raw milk cheeses. These outbreaks accounted for 1,007 illnesses, 104 hospitalizations, and two deaths.

A Robison
8/15/2008 1:43:04 PM

Able Goodman
8/1/2008 6:35:43 PM
Sorry, I didn't know how many characters posters were allowed. My last sentence was supposed to be, "Develop the resistance-to-tyranny mindset necessary to becoming effective in opposing this kind of garbage government behavior."

Able Goodman
8/1/2008 6:26:00 PM
Many thanks to Mother Earth News for exposing the "government's" outrageously unacceptable behavior in this case. Who died and left these government clowns God? "Government" is primarily concerned with stealing labor (money) from A and giving it to B. "Government" is merely a widely recognized euphemism for the dominant members of the stupid-human pecking order struggle. Government is its own means and its own ends, and exists ONLY to grow itself. As JRR Tolkien tried to teach us, inherently evil and inevitably corrupting One-Ring (political) Power cannot be used to solve problems, only create them, no matter how pure the initial intentions of the wielder of Power-Over. The government we have now does not remotely resemble the individual-freedom-based society envisioned by America's Founders. Unfortunately, what Nolt may not understand (I hope he does) is that we got this way (loss of individual freedoms) via a long pattern of revisionist-history lying on the part of various U.S. Supreme Court majorities. There are a plethora of books on the subject (e.g. "Who Killed the Constitution?: The Fate of American Liberty from World War I to George W. Bush", by Thomas E. Woods Jr. and Kevin R. C. Gutzman, "A Nation of Sheep", by Andrew P. Napolitano, "The Dirty Dozen: How Twelve Supreme Court Cases Radically Expanded Government and Eroded Freedom", by Robert A. Levy and William Mellor, etc., etc.), and the Internet makes it a snap to look up the offending decisions. The answer to this kind of government tyranny is 1) decentralization, 2) self-sufficiency, 3) a sustainable life style, 4) learn to live with as little money as possible (save and invest as much as possible), and 5) using the Internet to network and share information with like-minded individual-freedom-loving citizens. Buy raw milk. Boycott "government" milk. Develop the resistance-to-tyranny mindset necessary to becoming eff

Rhett Gillespie_1
7/31/2008 2:26:01 PM
If the farmers are selling the milk as RAW MILK, the government should get its nose out of there. I grew up on a dairy and raw milk didn't kill me.