Homesteading and Livestock

Self-reliance and sustainability in the 21st century.

Sawmill on the Homestead

12/12/2011 1:59:39 PM

Tags: Sawmill, tornado, woodworking, Norwood, David Boyt

I don’t do Facebook or any other social networking.  I figure if someone wants to know how I’m doing, they’ll pick up the phone or just drop by.  Still, there are some things going on around here that others may find interesting or amusing, so I’ll give this blog a try.  I look forward to hearing from people with similar interests or experiences.

A little background … I live on a corner of our family’s tree farm in the southwest Missouri Ozarks.  Becky and I moved here not long after we were married.  I cut the logs for our passive solar post & beam home and hauled them to a local sawmill, where they cut to my specifications.  Then I’d bring the posts, beams, and boards back, put them in place, and try to figure out what I needed next.  This went on over the course of four years.  With two young children, we were anxious to move in and made the classic mistake of doing so before the house was finished.  Although the house remains unfinished after thirty-one years, it has sheltered our family well—along with an assortment of stray cats and dogs, a few ferrets, and an iguana.  A family of flying squirrels is nesting under the eaves, and a marauding raccoon occasionally enters through the dog door at night.  As our daughter, Erin, put it, “It’s like living in a barn, only with more animals!”

Becky, bless her heart, still believes I can fix just about anything with a Leatherman and bailing wire.  I guess I reinforced that idea last week when she informed me that the clothes dryer was broken.  Using the aforementioned tools, I spliced the clothes line back together.

Milling logs salvaged from the Joplin tornado at the Barnyard Days showI must have gotten sawdust in my veins while building our house.  I bought a portable bandsaw about twelve years ago, after promising Becky that I’d use it to cut the lumber to finish the house.  Word of my sawmilling got around, and I have kept busy cutting logs for regular customers who build furniture and cabinets; as well as for area farmers who need fencing, barn siding, and trailer flooring.  My old hydraulic mill finally wore out, and I just got a new Norwood LumberMate Pro MX34.  It came packed very compactly and took a couple of days to assemble — a lot like an old-fashioned Erector set, for those who remember back that far.  The mill cuts smoothly, handles larger logs than my previous mill, and is far simpler to operate, once you get the hang of using a cant hook.  It is great to be able to salvage or select trees for thinning and be able to turn them into something other than firewood.  As soon as I get caught up on some orders, I’ll get back to work cutting flooring for our barn—I mean house.

Some of you may remember news about a tornado that devestated Joplin, MO last May.  The spirit of cooperation among volunteers from all across the U.S. and Canada remains truly inspiring, and it has been an honor to be a small part of it.  In addition to chainsaw work during the cleanup, I milled salvaged logs into lumber that could be used for furniture, or otherwise go into a house that they were repairing or rebuilding.  It is sad that, in an effort to clean up the debris as quickly as possible, many outstanding logs were hauled to the landfill.  I did manage to get quite a few, and milled them either free, or at a minimal cost.  The sentimental value of the furniture made from even the roughest post oak logs will far exceed the value of anything that could be made from the finest rosewood.  I did a demonstration of cutting for a local farm and craft show.  Those boards will go to a high school woodworking class, which, in turn, will go back to the Elk’s Lodge where the trees—and the Lodge—once stood.

Running the portable sawmill has given me many opportunities to meet a number of interesting people, and to provide them with a valued service and product.  I hope that expanding that network out to readers of this blog will introduce me to even more friends.  I look forward to corresponding with other people who run sawmills, are interested in getting started with a sawmill, or would like to get some logs milled for their own projects.

Great time at the Seven Springs, PA MEN Fair!

Observations and reminiscences of the 2012 MEN fair in Seven Springs, PA.

Facebook Group For Tornado Victims Video: “These Are Pieces of People’s Lives”

Patty Bouillon started a Facebook group to connect tornado victims with photos after she found an ul...

Tips on Buying a Portable Sawmill

These tips on buying a portable sawmill will help you select the right mill for your homestead.

How to Mill Your Own Lumber: A Homemade Sawmill

Lumber costs can be expensive. With our own homemade sawmill, we cut those costs down. Originally pu...

BRUCE MCELMURRAY
12/28/2011 4:44:41 PM
Thank you for your kind words David. I did not sell the mill and will be doing more lumber next summer. Seems every time I think of selling it I come up with another project or two. As you know having a wood mill (regardless of size) is an asset that is hard to do without. Take it from me and one hernia surgery later that lifting those big logs is not the thing to do. I'm very careful now when I work with those logs. That surgery wasn't that terrible but I didn't like the inactivity that lasted 6 weeks. Sometimes I forget that I'm not 20 years old anymore. Thank you for the invite and the same goes should you find yourself in S. Central Colorado....

DAVID BOYT
12/28/2011 3:16:50 PM
Bruce, Great to hear from you. Your blogs certainly make outstanding reading. I did find the one about the Lucas mill, and am sorry to hear you'll be selling it. I'm probably not too far behind you on that, but fighting it every step of the way, though I never did lift a 20" log, unless it was cut to firewood length first. We're also animal lovers, though our dogs tend to keep most wildlife either at a distance or in trees. Any time you want to come out this way (southwest Missouri), drop me a line! I look forward to reading more of your blogs. The archives provide lots of good reading.

DAVID BOYT
12/28/2011 3:04:59 PM
Thanks, Marilyn. Any "wisdom" I may have comes mostly from the experience of making every possible mistake. If you're serious about being a "wanna-be", find a local sawyer to come out and do some cutting so you can see how it works. Woodweb is a good resource for finding custom sawyers (­http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/director­ies/sdd.cgi?services=Custom%20Sawing&am­p) . Small band mills aren't incredibly expensive. Any time you want to come out to southwest Missouri, drop me a line, and we'll talk trees and sawmills. My email is dboyt@netins.net

DAVID BOYT
12/28/2011 2:55:35 PM
Harold, Sounds like you've maxed out the Lumberlite! Loading and turning those logs must give you a pretty good workout. Putting those mills together is a rite of passage for Norwood sawyers, and it seems you can always start a good conversation by asking "how long did it take to put your mill together?" I've never heard of anyone putting an axle under a Lumberlite. Would love to see a photo. Where are you located? And what are you going to do with all that pine??? My email is dboyt@netins.net.

DAVID BOYT
12/28/2011 2:49:12 PM
Devora, thanks for the comment. Sounds like a beautiful place. I'd love to pull the mill up there and do some custom cutting, but I have to charge $1.50 per mile. The good news is that I still accept U.S. dollars... There are a number of custom sawyers listed on Woodweb.com. Here's a link: http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/directories/sdd.cgi?services=Custom%20Sawing&PAGE=2 You might get lucky and find one not too far away. You might also contact Norwood Industries (http://norwoodindustries.com), which is based in Kilworthy, ON. Hope all is well up your way.

Devora Logan
12/22/2011 11:57:05 AM
Wish I lived closer to you. I am in Nova Scotia Canada near the beautiful Peggy's Cove. I am always building and fixing up my wee house and would much prefer to buy from a small business than a big name company. Look forward to more of your blogs.

Harold Rhodes
12/22/2011 2:07:02 AM
Hi David. I have a Norwood Lumberlite 24. It has a 17" throat but I have had 24" logs on it. It came in 13 boxes, took me 2 days to put it together and was only 16' long. I have modified the bed to 20' and two 4' extensions. The frame is 6" channel and I have a removable axle to make it transportable. It was bought as a toy but has worked me pretty hard. We had a storm go through a couple weeks ago and I have a hundred or more pines given to me. Dusty

Marilyn Pratt
12/21/2011 5:15:57 PM
David - I'm a wanna-be with 50-60 acres of forest. I would love to learn from your experience and wisdom. I, too, like your thinking.

Ryan Huber
12/19/2011 9:42:16 PM
I like your thinking

BRUCE MCELMURRAY
12/13/2011 12:55:48 AM
David: Welcome to Happy Homesteader and your great blog on wood mills. I have had three different mills and they are truly an asset. I presently have a Lucas mill that has milled wood for furniture in our house, cabinets, a deck, garage, wood shed, fence poles and other projects. It is nice to cut wood and not have to sort through a stack of defects at a lumber yard to get good boards. I too used to cut for others but quit that as it was just to much trouble. Bad logs, dirty logs, inaccessible logs, and unrealistic demands with trees that were best suited for firewood are some of the reasons. It is a joy to drag a few logs down and mill out lumber. I did a blog on this site a few months ago on my Lucas mill and the many benefits of owning a wood mill. At 9,750' elevation it does not take long to cure logs or lumber. Nothing like having a mill if you have lots of trees like we do. Thanks for your article and and hope to see more.