Homesteading and Livestock

Self-reliance and sustainability in the 21st century.

Rural Broadband Internet Programs Gain Funding

9/20/2010 4:11:48 PM

Tags: technology, modern homesteading

Laptop on Haybale If you’re reading this blog via achingly slow dial-up Internet because a high-speed connection is unavailable in your area, fret no longer. Help may be on the way.

Last month, the Obama Administration announced it would be increasing funding to provide broadband Internet access to homes, businesses, health facilities and schools in rural areas around the country. Part of last year’s American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, the upgrade is meant to revitalize rural communities, create jobs and give businesses the opportunity to expand their customer bases. About $518 million in total is being allocated to broadband infrastructure programs under the Recovery Act.

Several programs are in operation to carry out the government’s plan to increase broadband access across the country, including the Broadband Initiatives Program, the Broadband Technology Opportunities Program and the Distance Learning and Telemedicine Program.

Check out this list of approved broadband infrastructure projects (PDF) to see if your area will benefit from the funding.

School’s Not Always the Way

Robert Maxwell discusses why he chose self-directed education over formal college, and how this opti...

Where to Find Information on Renewable Energy Training

Dan Chiras, founder of The Evergreen Institute, shares information on locating renewable energy trai...

U.S. Homesteading Versus U.K. Smallholding

Looking at the differences between the current homesteading movement in the USA compared to Smallhol...

Rescued from Landfill, Coffee Bags Become Unique Accessories

JavaCycle has saved more than 40 tons of burlap coffee bag from landfills.

CHRIS COCOLA
2/15/2012 1:26:02 PM
It figures, the local cable company does not have anything in for my area in PA. I guess we don't matter. How do I get my local cable company to apply for a grant? They say there is not enough people per mile to warrant them to run cable, but there are 65 households that could benefit from this in the 5 mile area. All they need is about 200 thousand, which is 22000.00 per mile.

Pat Pierson
12/23/2010 3:02:48 PM
I am trying to get my mom access to the broadband program in rural Kansas and am not able to get anyone to help. The website from Hughes (the provider) comes up she is not eligible. We have tried several other addresses that I know are also rural and the same - is it because Kansas is a republican state you think? Pat

Jean Owens
10/7/2010 5:56:03 AM
What a joke, to much politics. That is why I like ME mag. self sustaining doesn't have to rely on Politicians to run my world.

Wes
10/3/2010 6:18:00 PM
I especially like the $24.5 MILLION dedicated to NE Tennessee, to include "two persistent poverty counties" to bring 1 GBPS broadband speed to 27,500 people, 471 businesses, and 65 institutions. Per possible client, that amounts to $875 granted for the upgrade. At this moment, I have 11 MBPS speed and pay $35.00 a month for it. On a linear charge rate, that amounts to almost $3200.00 for 1 GBPS internet to persistently impoverished people. What a good use of the money!

Dale Haverty_2
9/30/2010 8:17:30 AM
I just reviewed the list of recipients of the funding for rural internet service. I live in rural Nebraska and didn't see any funding for our state. I take it that we are either not rural enough or "blue" enough.

Orlando
9/29/2010 2:40:27 PM
We live in a rural area of Kentucky. Our broadband service is through Windstream and we've been trying for 4 years to get broadband service. People in a two miles area around us have the service but our area which consist of at least 100 homes does not have it. Windstream has chosen to service areas with less homes and therefore less customers. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to their providing the service to their customers. In addition to adding insult to injury, we have to sit through numerous TV commercials all day long telling us to sign up for their great broadband service. Also when we receive our bill the envelope contains ads asking us to sign up for a service they should know is not available to us.

ROBERT LACOE
9/29/2010 12:16:37 PM
First I would like to know the interest in this by the people living in these areas, and then I would like to see the voting record of these areas. My gut tells me this is a political pay off for votes to come. Here in Texas it will cost over $1000.00 per person that will benefit. If there were a demand and a profit to be made the companies would do it on their own.