Homesteading and Livestock

Self-reliance and sustainability in the 21st century.

What's Your Favorite Farm or Homestead Name?

12/1/2010 2:16:44 PM

Tags: homestead names, question to readers, farm names

homestead windmillAs humans, we take pride in giving names to objects, places, animals and even other people. We search for the right word or phrase to convey a deeper meaning, to express ourselves or a part of what we are naming in its chosen title. Giving a name to the place we call home is perhaps one of the most important naming ceremonies we undertake. Many farms and homesteads have names that reflect the creative, whimsical, or even the practical geographic nature of the places in which they exist, and the people who inhabit them. From a sheep farm named Ewesful Acres, to a small Texas homestead called Empty Pockets, to an organic vegetable farm known as Moon on the Meadow, farm names can be funny, silly or deeply touching.

Do you own a farm with a unique name, or have a name for the homestead of your dreams? Do you buy your vegetables or eggs from a farm with a name that caught your ear? Tell us your favorite homestead names — with a story if you know it — in the comments section below.

2014 Homesteaders of the Year Nominations Call-Out

It's time for our third annual call for nominations for outstanding modern homesteaders! Organic gar...

My Pioneering Women - A Modern Homesteader's Family Tree

Are you a modern homesteader with pioneering women in your lineage? My great grandmothers were all ...

HOMEGROWN Life: It’s Cold Out There for a Farmsteader

HOMEGROWN Life blogger Bryce shares 5 things to consider before starting a farmstead—not the least o...

The Homestead Act Turns 150!

The Homestead Act of 1862 celebrates its 150th anniversary this year. The Homestead National Monumen...

DolphinRanch
1/30/2014 10:37:42 PM
My parents: El Ranchito Costa Lotta Mine: Dolphin Ranch. My wife whistles to our children to call them, each having their own particular whistle. My wife found it less stressful to call the children via whistles than yelling for them. We have a lot of children, so whistles are a common occurrence at our house. Dolphins talk to each other via whistles...

Fancy
8/29/2013 11:54:11 PM
My husband & I raised garlic several years ago on our small 40-acre farm. We combined his mother's maiden name (Rose) & the fact that garlic is a member of the rose family by calling the farm "Rosebud Acres." Surprisingly, no-one ever came up the long drive looking for roses!

Klee112181
6/26/2013 5:52:58 PM

I have just bought a farm and I am thinking about the name Page 29 Farms due to a line in a Sleeping at Last song Page 28. I bought the farm after being homeless for nearly 2 years and after the hardships of the past few years the song basically sums of my struggles and moving forward to something better. The line is "And There, On Page 29, I Find "New" and Make It Mine." Considering my "New" home is over 100 years old, but mine free and clear of a mortgage it is my blessing that I cannot describe.

Kim Arnold
4/20/2013 3:40:29 PM
My favorite farm name is THANKSGIVING FARMS. The 56 acre farm is located in Adamstown, MD just west of Sugarloaf Mountain and is owned and operated by the Zimmerman family. They grow and sell anything from herbs, annuals, perennials, trees, fruits, vegetables and more. They also offer locally raised meats, eggs, sauces, cheeses and breads . In addition they sell beautiful garden decor and windchimes. I believe they have been in business for over 35 years.

JoeJill Patin
12/16/2011 2:57:45 PM
Our small farm is called "Appalachian Animal Farm and Garden". We are set in the hills of south central Kentucky. We raise an organic garden every year, 1 horse, 4 dogs, and adding pigs, chickens, and goats in 2012. The name just fit. Love KY!!!

Patti BRown
12/15/2011 8:55:25 PM
I stayed on a farm called "GATVOL", which roughly translates to "Fed up to the back teeth" in more picturesque language. On evening I had a car crash and had to report it to the police. Imagine their amusement when they asked for my address!

DANA VANN
12/14/2011 9:18:31 PM
Our place is called Terra Nova after a mini-series where the folks go thru a portal and arrive on earth during prehistoric times. Seems appropo.

Ronald Shephard
12/14/2011 12:16:57 PM
We've got a small place and we wanted a name that showed what we do without sounding to pretentious. We decided on Which Came First? Hobby Farm.

Teri Schnitzel
12/13/2011 4:56:27 PM
The Compound. Not because we are self sufficient (I wish) or militant in any way, it just fits us. We mainly raise children as we are a proud foster home of over 100 children but we will take in any animal that people no longer want. Our saying is "What's one more at the Compound?".

Robert Suiter
12/13/2011 4:06:48 PM
My place is called "Three Pines" When I came to this property some 20 odd years ago there were 3 pines along the roadside, over the years the pines have been lost to several hurricanes but the name remains.

jo dortch
12/13/2011 2:14:47 PM
My favorite is a mixed use small farm nearby. It is called 'Almosta Farm"! : )

della jastrzab
12/13/2011 12:18:24 PM
We came up with "Happy Hooves Organic Farm" for our farm. We wanted a name that conveyed the essence of what we try to do here, and having mostly hooved animals that we try to keep comfortable and "happy", it seemed right. Funny how I remember exactly where we were and what we were doing when we came up with the name.

Fostey James
12/13/2011 3:20:23 AM
The place that Fate led me and my wife and my mother-in-law to ended that last Ice Age as a series of rolling glacial moraines. The now-developing garden is a fairly hard-scrabble affair, but the soil has a goodly amount of clay that accepts organic matter well and improves each year. The only problem is with the wide range of mineral-matter that we have to remove for each square foot of progress. We're ending up with well-sorted piles of pea-gravel, stones, cobbles and rocks. We've named the place "Stoneyridge".

Krautdog52 52
12/13/2011 2:49:47 AM
In college back in the '70's, I had an old 10 X 40 mobile home, vegetable garden, 2 airedales, aracana chickens, New Zealand rabbits and some volunteer pot plants. I called it "Phaeces Pharm". Shovel-ready, you betcha.

Judy Killam
12/13/2011 2:13:06 AM
We live off-grid on 40 acres we lease in a valley. We started off with Nubian milk goats, which of course I thought were beautiful. When registering our farm, I called it Valley Juals Farm, with the spelling a mix of a couple of letters of each of our names, Judy, Al, and Sally. We now have over a hundred Boer and Nubian goats, turkeys, chickens, horses, dogs and cats and once, even a steer for 4-H.

Donna Cheek
12/12/2011 11:43:22 PM
We have a small 10 acre "farm". We bought a miniture donkey named Rosie and then she became Rosie Cheek!. She had a mini donkey that my duaghter named Eeyore. We have 5 Alpacs..... Brownie, Elliot, Jasmine, Bell and Rex and lots of chickens. We named our place Happy Hour Acres because after all the hard work to keep the place running, it is time for Happy Hour!

Remona Seckinger
12/12/2011 11:43:17 PM
Our original farm name was RnR Ranch. We discovered more RnR's so when we moved out here our horses were always whinnying to all the other horses in the neighborhood so hubby started calling it Hollerin' Horse Farm. I changed it to PepperJay Farm in honor of the original two horses that were the inspiration for this place Pepper and Jake.

Mark Cull
12/12/2011 11:13:07 PM
Our place is called The Compass Rose Farm. A unique names that speaks to all the travelling we have done prior to settling down here in Middle-Tennessee. We board horses, by this coming spring I will have a few hives set up. Goats and chickens by summer and hopefully our garden will produce enough for us to start a dried foods operation. Check us out at www.thecompassrosefarm.com

SHARON GOIST
12/12/2011 11:03:39 PM
Our farm name is "Redtail Hollow". We have 30 acres. We have a huge garden, small orchard, berry patches and grow chickens. In the future we hope to get some goats and sheep as well. We named our farm Redtail Hollow because we live in a valley that is full of red-tail fox, squirrels, hawks. It is where my husband grew up. We hope to also get goats and sheep in the future.

Janice Gidley
12/12/2011 10:42:58 PM
When I was a child, my great-great uncle had a small farm between Fairmont and Grafton WV. It was a small turn-of-the-century farmhouse with an outhouse and a well. He called it the Triple 000 Ranch..When describing it to people, he would say he had 3 rooms and a path...On the side of the 2- seater outhouse was a very old license plate that read "4U2P...We would have family picnics there in the yard, under the trees and sit in the swing on the front porch. Life was so much simpler then......

GREGORY BLOUNT
12/12/2011 9:31:39 PM
Our farm in Oklahoma Indian Territory was given to my Great, Great Aunt Hester Hawkins by the Dawes Indian Commission in 1903 as part of her Delaware Indian allotment. She in turn gave it to my grandmother who cared for her until she passed. My grandmother gave it to my mother who divided the 80 acre tract between her 3 sons. The property has a spring on it where folks back in the 1800's and early 1900's would come to get their water. We built our home here 20 years ago and named it Hawkins Springs Farm in honor of aunt Hester. My wife, Ronda, makes soaps, bath and body products (Hawkins Springs Bath and Body), and cans the produce from our gardens. We sell at a local farmers market and on the internet. We use the spring and a hydro-ram pump to irrigate our gardens. We also have chickens and bees and sell our eggs and honey. Thus, the story of Hawkins Springs Farm.

Deanna Farrar
12/12/2011 7:36:48 PM
My husband and I got married this summer next to our pine trees at the highest peak on our farm of 60 acres. So we decided to call our place Pine Mountain Ranch, it may not be a typical mountain but its our piece of heaven.

sharon berrelez
12/12/2011 6:34:16 PM
This past year we left our lifetime home in the Chicago suburbs to start our homestead on 23 acres near the appalachian mountains. We did a couple years research on breeds of animals, alternative energy, etc. in search of a better life. We named our homestead New Hope Homestead and keep a blog by that name. We currently have 3 horses, 10 chickens, 2 ducks, 1 dog, 3 Tennessee fainting goats and 4 Scottish Highland cows (baby born on Thanksgiving day!) We are always working on new things, learning new things and enjoy a life with new hope. Don't anyone be afraid to dump what you have always done and start moving towards what you have always wanted to do. Just make a smart move financially. When we sold our mortgaged home, we made sure to purchase only what we could pay cash and now have no mortgage--which for is the key to making this all happen while putting us in a safer financial situation--especially with where our future as a nation is going. Best of luck to all future homesteaders with hope in their hearts!!

Mike and Kathy Kline
12/12/2011 6:10:53 PM
We are the old time, boarder line hoarder types and when traveling from Astoria Or to Yakima Wa we saw lots of ole broken down farms. We were in love and I exclaimed "Now that's ramshackle!!" In that moment a dream was born. We now have a small house and 6 acres that we have lovingly named Ramshackle. It ain't much but it is OURS!!!

Jeff Croswell
12/12/2011 5:25:19 PM
Our small family farm is called Turtle Rock Farms. We live across the street from Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas, and they have a famous natural rock formation that looks like the backs of turtles. So the name of the rock formations are called The Turtle Rocks. People ask us all the time if we have turtles or prepare turtles for consumption. It gives us an opportunity to share the beauty of the state park and also to introduce our small family farm!

Debbie Bryer
12/12/2011 4:20:46 PM
We had a farm (recently moved) that we called "Toggleberry Farm". When we moved, the first thing we did was buy goats, there were two Toggenburgs (Allie & Rosie) and an Alpine/Nubian (Daisy). We knew NOTHING about goats (or chickens, which came the week after...), and I kept forgetting what breed they were (Toggenburgs, tobogganburgers, toggleberrys..., you get the idea). I noticed there were a lot of berries around the farm too (which didn't last long, as the goats discovered them as well), so we kept calling the girls Tobogganburgers or Toggleberries.... well, Toggleberry Farm stuck - named after our goats and the bountiful berries. I started making goat milk soap and natural bath and body care products as well, and sold it under the name "Toggleberry Farms". Still selling it today - a unique name with a story!!

Brenda Sloane
12/12/2011 4:07:04 PM
The name of our farm in Boxford, MA is the Hawk Feather Farm. The reason I named it that is the first day I was looking at the house and the barn, I found what I thought to be a red-tailed hawk feather on the field overlooking the farm. Once we bought the farm and got organized with our animals, our daughter had the feather gilted in gold as a house-warming present. However, about six months later, rummaging around in a Southwestern gallery, I noticed what I thought was a red-tailed hawk feather. I excitedly asked the salesperson where he had found the feather. He laughed saying that it was a common turkey feather. Well, the sound turkey feather farm didn't appeal to me, so I've kept the name Hawk Feather Farm for all these nineteen years. By the way, we do have frequent visits by red-tailed hawks, but my free-range chickens do not really appreciate them.

Suzanne tn.
1/30/2011 2:11:17 AM
My husband and I both like Larry the cable guy and are going to name our retirement place "Got-r-Done" .

twinpoplars
1/4/2011 11:55:07 AM
Our farm is named "Twin Poplars" because the man who originally built the farm house in 1923 had twin sons born in 1928 and planted a poplar tree on either side of the house in honor of their birth. My grandfather bought the farm in 1930. The trees still stand on either side of our home. My brother's farm is called Mulberry Lane, since the 1/4 mile lane to his house is lined with mulberry trees.

Nancy Gordon
1/3/2011 10:11:48 AM
The name of our homestead is Pearly Gates Organic Soapery & Homestead. I liked Pearly Gates because my dream, to make our place look like the "Pearly Gates". Our house sits next to a five acre daylily farm. Also, our propery had aquired many daylilies over 50 years ago from the neighboring daylily farm, so our place was covered in a rainbow of colors. From May to Sept the daylilies around our property and on our property are absolutley gorgeous; the colors range from deep reds, purples, pinks, yellows, bi-colors and so on. My dream is to have vibrant colors going on all through the growing season.

Deb_14
1/1/2011 2:17:31 PM
We have an urban farm of sorts.chickens and raised bed gardens but as we are only on three lots we call ourselves little lots farm.

Cherie A. Dodds_3
12/28/2010 3:02:06 PM
My husband and I have a rather interesting name for our homestead. we call it- Balanced Harmony. it seems to suit us well. I thought about it for at least a year before it just cam to me one day while I was thinking about my Irish/Comanche and roots. Funny thing is my husband, Dan, is also Irish/Comanche. So, it worked out in the first time.

Ellie Mae
12/28/2010 12:22:35 PM
11 years ago my parents gave us 3 1/2 acres next to them. We built a house and started our own farm. It is called "Muddy Acres". We live in the middle of the Great Black Swamp....how better fitting!

April J
12/28/2010 12:05:02 PM
Blue House Garden While looking at prospective homes I asked my son, he was 4, which house he liked best, he said, "the blue one." None of the houses were blue - I was confused. When we went back for our final walk through, I asked him if we should buy this house, he said, "Yes! It's the blue one!" Ever since we have called it The Blue House - which confuses everyone since it's a white house with black trim. When we started selling bread and produce at the farmer's market my MIL thought of adding Garden. For our cards we painted the dog house blue and had the kids stand in front of it.

gmartin
12/27/2010 5:38:14 PM
I have a farm in North Missouri and down the road about 2 miles is a farm that a tornado took out in 2004. They rebuilt without insurance and a sign now hangs at the drive entrance that reads "El Rancho Bankruptus"

Karen M_2
12/26/2010 7:41:48 PM
We named our three acres "Redneck Heaven"; a dirt road in southern California. Very unusual for So Cal.

Helen Baldwin
12/26/2010 9:48:13 AM
My parents have 67 acres and they named it Backachers Farm because in clearing the land they both ended up with major back problems. Then my family started a farm with land they gave us and we named our place BellyAcres Farm because our daughter belly ached to get the animals then she belly ached about having to feed them.

Helen Baldwin
12/26/2010 9:46:16 AM
My parents have 67 acres and they named it Backachers because in clearing the land they both ended up with major back problems. Then my family started a farm with land they gave us and we named our place BellyAcres Farm because our daughter belly ached to get the animals then she belly ached about having to feed them.

Debbie Thompson
12/25/2010 1:50:24 PM
We went looking for land back in 1997, and found a secluded area of 31+ acres. Very rural and no one within sight; after we purchased it we named it LOST ACRES. Everyone that visits us tells us we sure named it correct because without some good directions they would have never found it back in the woods!

Melaine Jackson
12/24/2010 6:38:18 AM
We call our 40 acres of heaven in south-central colorado "jackmorganson" - as my sir-name is jackson and my partners sir-name in morgan

Carlina Breitner
12/24/2010 5:47:13 AM
My late husband named our farm "Empty Pockets Farm" and it has been that for the last 25 years. My son's farm is called "Fawncrest Farms"

Mary Saunders_3
12/24/2010 1:32:05 AM
Wise Acres is the name of a farm I pass on the way to the community garden far out from town (Portland) because town has so many trees, it's hard to garden. My dad was always in trouble for too much honesty, and he would have liked this one.

TOM WALKER
12/24/2010 1:19:49 AM
OUR FARM IN PENNSYLVANIA WAS CALLED THE "TNT FARM"......THE NAME WAS DERIVED FROM MY MOTHER AND FATHER'S INITIALS....TOM AND TACY.....

Dan Fraser
12/24/2010 12:31:51 AM
In all the time I have lived on my little 1 acre plot of pain. I never really thought about naming it but there you go asking what do you call your place. The answer is "My Place." If you want to see me come to "MY PLACE."

HB
12/23/2010 11:44:09 PM
Our neighbors bought a small retirement place that they call "Old Bones Creak". That sort of says it all.

Ken Bohannon
12/23/2010 8:17:14 PM
My mother and father were born in 1921. My dad the youngest of 7 children and my mother the next to the youngest of 8, they were poor farm children and grew up during tough times. When they meet, all they had was each other and they always wanted farm of their own. After World War II they worked hard and bought their first place in 1958. They turned 25 acres of blackberry bramble and sage grass into a farm that looked like a park. Everyone always commented about Velma's and Bradley's place. I surprised them on their 35th Anniversary with a sign for their entrance "Velbrad" Farms it stuck. The orginal farm was over run by urban growth but I found them another place and when they moved so did the name. Today, I am fortunate enough to own and operate a much larger "Velbrad Farms". It's a family tradition.

Leimana
12/23/2010 6:19:18 PM
We bought 3 acres 5 years ago and thought and thought and thought about a name. Nothing fit. Then one day after milking our one little cow who has a delicious creamline, we went to town for some supplies. I passed a house painted the most lovely yellow and all of a sudden it dawned on me! Buttermilk Acres! I said it out loud and my husband knew right away what it meant and my big tough sweet husband said" awwwwww, that is so cute and perfect!" He is so cool:) So Buttermilk Acres it is.

jlindey
12/23/2010 6:00:43 PM
My favorite farm name is Spring Joy Farm, the farm where I was raised. My Mother named my parents' farm, stating that after a cold, dreary winter in Pennsylvania, joy comes with the spring. I tend to agree. While each season has its beauty, there is something special about spring when the fields practically glow with that beautiful GREEN and the first flowers (usually crocuses, daffodils, pansies, and hyacinths)begin the show in my Mothers' flower beds.

Runamuk
12/23/2010 5:27:01 PM
We call our small place "Camp-Runamuk"

Jill Schaumloeffle
12/23/2010 3:40:29 PM
We have about a 5 acre spot on top of Backbone Mountain in West Virgina. We call our place Blue Mule Farm. When setting up the farm business I was looking for a logo that would be easy to draw and decided on the bucking mule on the Borax box would be my inspiration. Blue is because it gets quite cold up here in the winter. We now raise heritage American Buckeye chickens and a raised bed garden using the square-foot method. Next year we a going to see if the deer will leave a pie pumkin patch alone as we have had requests for the sweet pumpkins.

Gale Green
12/23/2010 2:44:07 PM
My little "fixer-upper" place, which has required massive amounts of 'elbow-grease' work, I dubbed "Bony Fingers Ranch"-- from the old country western song, "work your fingers to the bone, whadda ya get? Bony fingers."

Lisa D.
12/23/2010 1:42:24 PM
Our wooded acreage was dubbed "Hoot Owl Holler"

Bill_Zaspel
12/23/2010 10:22:49 AM
I grew up in the city and always wanted a small farm with rolling hills. My wife and I finally found 10 acres in Central Kentucky that we liked but everyone said that we were crazy to sign up for that much work. Since we always knew we were rebels, we decided to call our place Rebel Ranch. We've been out here now more'n 10 years and things are growing well. You can find us at www.rebelranch.net and I've started a blog at www.2coyotes.com where I post the aimless ramblings of a confused mind. Stop by if'n you have a chance.

Ann Stuck
12/23/2010 9:55:18 AM
Our land is at the bottom of a huge hill, our son's name is Sam...Sam Hill :)

Autum
12/17/2010 11:41:24 AM
Little Rocky Ridge Mini-Farm I use that name because the hill where everything is at (and going to be at) is actually a solid ledge of limestone. There's topsoil, and then it's all rocky soil underneath that, and just a little 3 1/2 foot long ledge sticks out on the hill. When I was contemplating names, my mom pointed to the ledge and said "Little Rocky Ridge." I tagged on the Mini-Farm because I'm only on about a third of an acre. http://www.littlerockyridgebarn.wordpress.com

Tamisan Soto
12/17/2010 9:10:46 AM
We've been looking for a small bit of land to build our homestead on, with dreams of including a small cafe and potentially a pub, to that end we have decided on the following names: "Harvest Moon Manor" for the homestead since I think the prettiest sight is a full moon hanging over a field of ripe wheat; "The Frog and Toad Pub" (because my nickname was treefrog in college from a drink we created (don't ask lol!) and "The Dreamer's Garden Cafe" (which is the name of the small herbal cosmetics shop I ran in high school). Now if we can just find the perfect site, and get started I'd be a happy camper. Although the dreaming bit is fun too. ;P

Debra Mace
12/17/2010 7:35:44 AM
The first goat I ever had got loose and ran down the road and took to the hillside. We were four days trying to catch him. Whith the help of five neighbors and myself we finally captured him. I now call my place (Running Goat Farm).

kathleen troeller
12/15/2010 2:30:18 PM
Love Apple Farm in Ben Lomond, Ca. Love Apple Farm was started by Cynthia Sanberg out of her love for the tomato and has grown hundreds of organic tomatoes. She has since grown the farm to cover about every inch of her property where she also has her home. It is a biodynamic farm complete with chickens and she grows all the vegetables for a local restaurant. She holds numerous gardening classes and workshops throughout the year. Recently she has expanded to include a second property with large kitchen with an 8 burner range for all types of new workshops and classes including cheesemaking, jams and preserves and much much more.

Dan and Diana Hopkins
12/11/2010 12:07:33 PM
Fatcity

Lori Jackson
12/10/2010 10:01:34 PM
Back in the '70s we joined the back-to-the-land movement and became avid readers of Mother Earth News. We did not come up with a witty name for our little piece of heaven but in a little Kentucky berg nearby there was a small farm called "Dunrovin" and I have always remembered that name; maybe because we had moved around so much. We ended up selling our little place and moving many times again, always in suburbia. Finally, we are dun rovin' and we have a little 4 acre farm in Oregon we simply call "Haven."

Karen Mauk_3
12/10/2010 9:16:25 PM
Since my little homestead (3+ acres)is walking distance to the Elk River and the name of the local school is called Elk Valley School. The official name for my place is Elk Valley Farm. I like the name my granddaughter calls it, "Grandma's Itty Bitty Farm".

The Morton-Jones Family
12/10/2010 3:55:11 PM
We are currently shopping for property for our farm because my husband retires from the Navy next year. Our current favorite is 7 acres in Oregon that we have affectionately dubbed as "Almost Paradise." View our new blog at http://simplifywithalmostparadisefarm.com

Gina
12/10/2010 2:04:20 PM
I spent all of my life renting. Never had a place of my own. Recently, I bought a small off-grid place to remodel and retire to. It has marvelous views and I love it. I've dubbed it "My Space".

Tami wannabe
12/10/2010 2:41:14 AM
Half Fast Nannyberry Farm

KYT EUBANKS
12/10/2010 12:13:33 AM
Almost 8 Ranchita - When we bought our little homestead in Texas the actual purchase was for 7.9797 acres. But when people asked how big our "place" was we felt stupid saying "7.9797 acres" so we said "almost 8 acres" instead. Now years later we have a brand that is an A alongside an "8" which isn't completely closed. And all our friends know "Almost 8" is our little spot on the High Plains. Kyt

Bo Fletchall
12/9/2010 11:24:29 PM
"Possum Ridge" - it's the name my father gave to a little piece of land we used to "get away from it all" on. We have a bigger spread now and a new name but "Possum Ridge" still brings back a flood of memories.

Jody Lyons
12/9/2010 10:50:06 PM
A local dentist achived a lifetime dream of moving to his own place in the country. After considerable conversation with the family, he was out voted and the place was named "Tooth Acres". Another friend finally retired from the army as a three star general and his kids name the country place "Three Star Ranch".

John _4
12/9/2010 9:08:47 PM
My wife wanted to call our place "Green Acres". I said no because it is taken. I suggested "Naked Acres". She agreed to that except she said I could not put in on a sign near the road. I keep telling her I am making a sig with Naked Acres on it and have Clothing Optional in small print below. Actually we agreed on Naked Acres because when we got the land it was bare land. It is now not bare and has become a great place for us to retire to.

nursecammy
12/9/2010 6:38:26 PM
My husband and I bought 5 wooded acres in northern Michigan. We are slowly building a cabin, tending to the wild raspberries and planning to plant fruit and nut trees. We hope to retire there with a garden and chickens. We love to ride ATV's (Quads) as do our 7 sons. We are kicking around the name "Camp Quad"....

Kayla T
12/9/2010 6:07:25 PM
We call our place the Razzberry Ranch, The Razz Ranch, for short. It's just 27 acres, so only a ranch in our eyes. We have wild berries, goats, cats, dogs and bunnies. Sometimes chickens.

Labgirl1
12/9/2010 5:09:29 PM
Back Home Farm is what I named my small micro-eco farm because I moved back to part of the original 40 acres that I grew up on. I have been planting and expanding my gardens every year. I want to be more self-sustaining by retirement. Farming this property without working another job is my dream!

Jeanette
12/9/2010 3:35:01 PM
In Colorado, there are many great ones: like a ranch with a lot of mules, called "Half-Ass Horse Ranch".

Virginia F.
12/9/2010 2:57:55 PM
My husband and I have been naturalizing an 8-acre yard connected to 80 acres of lake, natural forest and pasture to which we will retire - though the retirement age keep moving north. Have thought a lot about a name but each seemed quite used. We are now down to FeyerFox (a usage of two last names).

sherry majors
12/9/2010 10:05:30 AM
I bought 3 acres 5 miles from town, my sons think I'm still a hippy so we named our place Far Out Farm it's our little bit of heaven.

MICHEAL VOLINO
12/9/2010 5:30:37 AM
We live on 5 + ac in Florida and it took all the money we had to fix up the repo house in 1993. We call it the Last Penny Farm

Remco
12/9/2010 12:27:51 AM
We call our 10 acre slice of paradise "elwinfarm". My wife breeds keeshonden and the kennel name she uses is Adelwijn (which means noble friend). Elwin is the English translation of Adelwijn. It fits the property because we grow everything organically and have alpacas and horses. elwinfarm is indeed a noble friend to us and, hopefully, the world around us.

Anastacia
12/8/2010 11:17:11 PM
this isn't really a farm name but when I bought my first house, it was a POS on a small lot in los angeles. i called it "eighth-an-acre estate" since it sat on 1/8th of an acre. i was convinced i'd have chickens, ducks and goats there (to my neighbor's delight, it never happened but i did put in a pond). we now have a much larger homestead and haven't named it yet... i still like eighth-an-acre!

Ferris
12/8/2010 9:50:35 PM
I adopted 25 Chickens from the local humane shelter.When it came time to name my little venture the whole family came up with the following. High de Flies Chicken Ranch. We live in Texas so it was only appropriate that we reference one of the most talked about places in the state. The other reference is of course the most infamous woman in Hollywood. Our Pet Rooster was called Big Daddy Doodle Warclucks.

Mark Harnetiaux
12/8/2010 9:28:24 PM
Our little corner of the world is called the Isla Gi Ranch. Isla Gi stands for "It Seemed Like A Good Idea" and that's usually how our projects start out. Vineyard, Chickens, Beef Heifers... And we are having a blast!!!

Karen Weaver
12/8/2010 9:17:39 PM
We've always had a parade of dogs on our Foothill property... thus, Weaver's Dog Circus. When we go to the Vet's office, we are asked which members of the troupe have arrived. Our most successful crops are acorns, stickers, native grasses, thistles, sticks and twigs, miner's lettuce, manzanita berries, fiddleneck and other wildflowers followed closely by dust, DG (decomposed granite) and assorted scat, gophers, ground squirrels, wild hogs, and coyotes≥ Occasional summer temperatures in excess of 110F make self-sustaining mini farming a challenge in oh so many ways. Lack of water is another challenge. But, the Dog Circus continues to elevate our moods. Our alternate place name is Vista de los Zopilates.

tremayne
12/8/2010 8:39:46 PM
My grandmother called her little piece of land "Poverty Flats." As a single mother, she raised her two sons in the Depression and supported them by cooking for workers, brooding and selling chickens, and working in the small town movie theatre owned by the family. She never had much money, but they ate well and made lots of memories. When we finally can afford to get our own little place, "Poverty Flats" would be a fitting name in honor of my grandmother.

P.Maloney
12/8/2010 8:16:14 PM
It's a little "dated," but I used to pass by a little place that the folks had named "Oleo Acres, the cheaper spread." I thought that was very funny!

MPHymel_2
12/8/2010 8:06:11 PM
North of Lake Pontchartrain lies a place named BeauRegard, next door, its neighbor -- NeauRegard.

Natilopan
12/8/2010 6:44:47 PM
Our 35 acre 'homestead' is called "Little Hill". It come from two things. My wife and I love the tv show Fringe and it was a place name on the show. Also, it comes from a poem by Keats: "I stood tip-toe upon a little hill, the air was cooling and so very still. The clouds were pure and white as sweetly they slept on the blue fields of heaven. Born of the very sigh that silence heaves. There was wide wand’ring for the greediest eye, there I gazed and felt as light, free, watching intently Nature’s gentl...e doings. The soul is lost in pleasant smotherings; uplifted from the world."

Denise
12/8/2010 6:42:33 PM
Iona Farm

Corinne
12/8/2010 6:27:40 PM
At first we were going to call our place boars & berries but since we decided not to raise boars or berries decided on Far Far Away ranch because everyone we bring up asks us when we will finally get there.

Remco
12/8/2010 5:52:28 PM
We bought our 10 acres almost five years ago and decided to call it elwinfarm. My wife breeds keeshonden and her kennel name is Adelwijn (meaning "noble friend"). Elwin is the English version of Adelwijn. It's an appropriate name because we have alpacas and horses and we also grow everything organically.

PPat
12/8/2010 4:35:13 PM
PBJ Farms My sister BJ and I (Pat) raise heritage chickens and Mulefoot pigs on 10 acres in southern MI. I conjured the name from our inititals.

OneFlewOver
12/8/2010 3:06:44 PM
Three years ago, when the youngest finally graduated and moved on, We bought a horribly neglected 10-acre farm (with LOTS of potential). People said we crazy taking on a project of this magnitude at "our age." 50-somethings. We also happen to be directly under the flight path of an airport 3 miles away; thus, we are named "OneFlewOver Farm."

Diana at Hunky Hollow Farm
12/8/2010 2:57:26 PM
We named our farm Hunky Hollow Farm as a tribute to my husband's Grandmother, Baba. She was an immigrant from Slovakia. She and her husband settled in a mill area of Pittsburgh, PA nicknamed Hunky Hollow. Although I never had the pleasure to meet her, as she died long before I met my husband, I understand she was a very self sufficient woman. She gardened and canned her food until she was in her 80's. Her husband passed away and left her with very little, but she always stuffed my husband's pockets with homemade pirohi's before he left for school. She gave to all her children and grandchildren with pleasure. My husband's favorite childhood stories all revolve around Baba. We named our farm Hunky Hollow so that we could remind ourselves of the sacrifices our immigrant ancestors made. We try to live the self sufficient way of life that they were required to live.

Cynthia
12/8/2010 2:38:43 PM
When my folks bought an old homestead farm in forested northern Canada the first family friend that came to visit dubbed our place Jensen's Stump Ranch...and that name stuck for more than 40 years.

Rainseeker
12/8/2010 2:29:48 PM
Our homestead is Raccoon Hollow. One time while working at a seafood plant, we were cleaning out some old crates and the workers brought in two little rats with masks. Well, bottle feedings and lots of attention raised Bonnie and Clyde until they were adults. Yes, everything you have ever seen, read or heard about raising raccoons is true. This 15 acres with an old hay field, hardwoods, a wetland and small creek and a pine grove with rare pitcher plants is a place the raccoons would have loved. We now raise 5 boys (ages 2-18) along with assorted other critters so may by it should be called RAZN BOZ Ranch or simply "What are we doing Acres"!

AM
12/8/2010 2:21:18 PM
Haven

SJD
12/8/2010 1:51:15 PM
Sharny Byre Farm was my uncle's name for his dairy farm. It's apparently 'Sh!tty Barn' in one of the forms of Gaelic (probably Scots Gaelic, since that's where our ancestry traces back to).

Diana Decker
12/8/2010 1:50:39 PM
We were going to name our 5 acres "Sanctuary Farm", but reality set in. We now call it "Vole Hill Farm". It kind of says it all doesn't it?

Rick
12/8/2010 1:34:26 PM
We are off-grid. Check us out at www.poohcornersfarm.blogspot.com

Nanci
12/8/2010 1:21:25 PM
My homestead's name is Rancho San Francisco, named for the saint, not the city. Along with raising Original American Indian Horses, pedigreed donkeys, the farm is a rescue operation for various kinds of critters - cats, dogs, chickens, geese, ducks, potbellied pigs, etc. Never dull!

Nancy B
12/8/2010 1:14:16 PM
I want to name our 18 acre place Barking Dogs Farm, hubby likes Howling Dogs Farm. (We have 5 dogs. They bark, not howl!) LOL!

Sandy
12/8/2010 1:12:53 PM
My organic farm is named "Mystic Gardens" because it is truly mystical the way plants grow. I am amazed each day when I go to the gardens and see their growth. It is pure pleasure (lots of work) but I could not imagine doing anything else.

Teri Schneider
12/8/2010 12:55:13 PM
Our farm name is GMC-N-TJ'S Farm. It stands for G=God, then the rest of the letters represent the first letter in each of my husband's & my kids' first names and our first names. The S at the end is for our last name. We felt like everyone would then feel like they were truly part of the farm.

RJM
12/8/2010 12:23:27 PM
Our place is named Goats'n'Roses Farm. I raise Nigerian Dwarf goats and my husband is a Master Gardener and grows roses. We both spend a lot of time building and securing all the fences!

RJM
12/8/2010 12:15:24 PM
Our place is called Goats'n'Roses Farm. My husband is a Master Gardener and loves growing roses. I raise Nigerian Dwarf goats and spend a lot of time putting up good fencing.

Gail
12/8/2010 11:55:58 AM
We have three Norwegian Fjord horses. The name we chose for our farm is Norse Horse Farm.

Jane Phillips
12/8/2010 11:43:12 AM
Moonlight Plantation When I met my husband he was working full time for a contractor and "moonlighting" in the evenings doing the same type of work. As he got busier with the moonlighting job, I gave him the name Moonlight Construction which ended up being his full time job and name of his business the past 15 years. So when we bought out 5 1/2 acres he just called it Moonlight Plantation. Don't know where he got the Plantation part from but it seemed to stick.

Mama Kat
12/8/2010 11:34:17 AM
Our new, tiny farm (just 12 acres) is called Rock Soup Ranch because it takes a community to make something truly great. Our friend Ann came up with it when I told her what our goals were all about, beginning the tradition in a fitting way. We're really just starting, so Rock Soup is on the menu for some time! Thank you Mother Earth News for all of the wonderful and inspiring information, keep it coming!!

Marlane
12/8/2010 11:09:42 AM
BIGFOOT 40 FARM Here in the Northwoods of Wisconsin, I now own the 40-acre parcel that my parents bought in the mid-1960's....and it was always called "The 40". When I moved here and got draft horses, often called THUNDER HOOF or BIGFOOT, I put the two together and came up with BIGFOOT 40 FARM! Funny thing is, people often ask me what size shoe I wear! That's when I tell them about the draft horses! LOL

Marcia Freespirit
12/8/2010 10:48:13 AM
We call our homestead, FreeCow Ranch [where our bovines are highly independent!] This is from combining the first part of my last name [Freespirit] and the first part of my fiance's nickname [Cowboy] our website is www.FreeCowRanch.webs.com

Grace
12/8/2010 10:45:05 AM
My great aunt and her husband had a lovely homestead they named "Aspirin Acres." I loved that.

Ric McDermott
12/8/2010 10:22:27 AM
Goosepoop Farm! Fresh from the city 2yrs ago we found our 43 acre homestead in a quite valley among the hills and bluffs in western WI. The farm quickly went from a quiet weekend retreat to a very busy need to be here everyday operation. Feeling like I am runnning Noahs Arc. We quickly started adding samll animals at first which lead to larger ones and I know we are not done because we still have space lol. Goat,llama,alpacas,horse,lots of chickens and 12 naughty geese. They are noisey, messey, distructive, protective of their territory and have defined our farm more so than any of the other animals. Farm names containg valley all seemed boring, it was spring melt and evidence of goose poop was everywhere. The name stuck. If you visit in the spring remember muck boots.

Charles Tutt
12/8/2010 9:43:43 AM
We call our 40+ acres Tutt's Harmony Gardens. When we first came here 15 years ago our intent was to do Organic Market Gardening, backyard birding and see if we could figure out a way to earn a living sustainably. As we grow older and less physically strong and energetic, our focus is moving toward writing, publishing and internet marketing from our website, http://www.tuttandtutt.com while watching the weeds grow, the squirrels play and the birds flock to our feeders.

steve specht
12/6/2010 2:36:40 PM
We go between the Lazy 'S' ranch and the 'S'backward ranch.

valerie
12/6/2010 12:56:49 PM
Our 9+ acres has been dubbed "Granite Hill" for the obvious reason!

Rick Holt
12/6/2010 11:40:12 AM
For 17 years my wife and I grew produce and sold it our roadside market. Our farm name was simply the family name, Holt's Produce Farm. At the turn of the century (2000) we converted our operation to an equestrian enterprise (boarding and lessons) and renamed the farm: Dun-Pikin Farm. We're done pickin' and enjoying our horses instead. Get it? 8-)

5pYd3rM4n
12/6/2010 11:25:04 AM
Haudenosa. This is probably misused as it's a liberal translation of the Oneida word for "Long House". The name of the Iroqouis, or 5 civilized tribes was Haudenosuanee or "People of the Long House".

5pYd3rM4n
12/6/2010 11:20:32 AM
Haudenosa

dangel2
12/6/2010 11:06:11 AM
We moved to our small farm about 10 years ago. As we started to make it into what we wanted, we realized that we have lots of stuff going on--not all successful but all fun. So, we decided to call it what it is: a sandbox. So, we named our farm Angel's Sandbox Farm - a place to play and have fun.

Kelly Grainger_1
12/6/2010 10:52:10 AM
Crazy Dog Farm I bought 5 acres 2 years ago, then promptly lost my job. As well as developing a market garden and orchard, I now do dog boarding and doggy day care for a living. I specialize in active, high drive dogs, thus the 'Crazy Dog' name. It makes my clients giggle. www.crazydogfarm.blogspot.com

CoyoteRidgeFarms
12/6/2010 10:36:04 AM
CoyoteRidgeFarms.com. We own a small farm/ranch on the northern edge of the prairie in our area of Minnesota, with a ridge dividing our property. Below the ridge is a slow moving creek. We have a few acres we farm organically (wheat, oats, corn & hay) south of the creek and we ranch organically, north of the creek - it's hilly and unfarmable. Our 9 Highlander cattle love it. Even with nearly 1 ft of snow on the ground, they are still on pasture only (not feeding hay yet). Rich & Carol http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteRidgeFarms

W Knight
12/6/2010 10:22:22 AM
We've fallen into calling the 10 acres we bought this year "The Funny Farm" since it's pretty funny that a couple of city folks like us are attempting to step foot into the dream of having a self-sustaining farm.

Kati Muhlhauser
12/5/2010 12:22:27 PM
My favorite ranch name is from a small "ranchette" in Fallon, Nevada. "EL RANCHO NO GOTTA!" always makes me laugh when we drive by that sign. It's out there in the middle of the desert, on "the loneliest highway in America."

Jennifer
12/4/2010 12:25:43 PM
We have named our homestead after our son Forrest Acres.

skerch
12/3/2010 2:59:10 PM
We have contiplated calling our little 10 Acres Halfmoon Farm. I seem to be grumpy at the new moon and my wife at the full moon but at halfmoon we are at the same place.

Keith Karolyi
12/2/2010 10:43:30 PM
I just purchased a ten acre piece of land that I plan to turn into my retirement homestead that I simply named "Faraway" because it feels like I've totally bailed on society when I'm in the middle of it.

catllyon
12/2/2010 9:13:05 PM
About 10 years ago, my parents finally bought a farm which was named Lost Creek Ranch. It has been in the same Texas family for over 102 years. The 130 acre farm still has the old May road that was used in 1903, has the old stone fences (built in the end of the 1890's) to section off the different pastures, and still has several foundations, wells, cisterns, old root cellars, and chimneys from the different family members houses (over the last 100 years) that you can walk around and visit. Since the ranch has so much history, our family could not think of another name to replace the original. So even though the farm now belongs to my family, the name is still Lost Creek Ranch.

The Long Shot Farm
12/2/2010 6:58:12 PM
We ended up calling our small farm "The Long Shot Farm", not only because it was a pretty long shot for us to start a small farm, but most everyone we talk to comes up with their own reason for the name: from being good shots as hunters, to serving delicious beverages, to the length of our blackberry patch.