Homesteading and Livestock

Self-reliance and sustainability in the 21st century.

Get Your Sorghum Planted NOW!

6/27/2011 8:53:32 AM

Tags: sorghum, sorghum seed, cane seed, sorghum syrup, sorghum making, Sherry Leverich Tucker

sorghum seedI don't mean to scare you, but if you want to have a crop of sorghum it needs to be planted NOW!! I have been behind this year, but hope to have sorghum to squeeze and cook come this fall.

Anytime through the month of June, at least in my location in the Ozarks of Missouri, sorghum can be planted. I would even say that if willing to take the risk of an early frost ruining the crop (two weeks into October), it can be planted into the first couple of weeks of July.

The sorghum cane seems to thrive in hot dry weather as long as it gets a good start. We have been facing an early summer drought here and are in painful need of rain. A mid June planting of cane is preferred, which I did, but the rows were very skippy so I disced it up and just replanted it two days ago. I am hoping to get a good stand that will be adequate for a good amount of juice to cook off in the fall.

The cane can be grown, spaced and fertilized similar to corn. I have found that five or six, 125 foot rows can produce up to 50 gallons of juice that will cook down into approximately 5 gallons of syrup. Thinning the canes six inches apart will help them to grow larger in diameter and height making for sturdy canes that are able to withstand strong wind. I would also discourage heavy watering for the same reason; shallow roots make these tall canes easier to blow over as well. One year I didn't thin out the crop like I should have and some heavy winds blew the canes in every direction. It was a huge mess and we were unable to do anything but pile and burn them that winter. It was both an unnavigable disaster and an entire crop loss. Thinning will also enable canes to grow to their potential, creating a better harvest of full sized canes, rather than harvesting more lean, leggy canes.

I am fortunate to have enough Sugar Drip sorghum seed to share. If you are interested in growing some, please comment below, and I will get in touch with you. I tried Sugar Drip last year and was pleased with the flavor of the sorghum it produced.

If you are growing sorghum and it is a new skill for you, search out older friends that may have grown up in the country. This was a common annual event in many communities. It is a lot of fun to hear the sorghum making stories and see what they remembered of it when they were kids. I am sorry to say that as time moves on we are losing more and more of our old sorghum makers. They know and remember bits and pieces that are helpful. It is good to hear about different designs of evaporator pans, skimming tools, how long it was cooked, along with how their family used it or traded with it. A longtime sorghum making friend of our family died this spring, he enjoyed those old time traditions a great deal and he will be sorely missed at the sorghum making this fall. Please cherish their memories while they are here, and if you do have stories and skills to share, Mother Earth News now has a blog dedicated to that.

So, don't hesitate and get that sorghum in the ground! Then, let it grow all summer into tall 7-10 foot canes with bright red seeded heads and stalks full of sugar! Good luck!

I do not have much information about when to grow sorghum in other parts of the country. If you are a sorghum grower, and can leave a comment with information on when you plant and harvest sorghum that information may be helpful to someone. Please also share what variety of sorghum you prefer to grow. Thank you!

Sorghum Making

photo credit:  Noah and Caleb rubbing seeds out of the mature sorghum heads for planting

Grow Your Own Sweet Sorghum to Make Molasses

Mary Norwood explains how to grow your own sweet sorghum molasses, and how this easy-to-process, hea...

Sorghum Memories: Improvising Is a Necessity

When you live in the country, and there is a task at hand that requires instant action, that's when ...

Making Sorghum

Discover the tradition of sorghum making.

Kasco Manufacturing Acquires Herd Seeder Corporation

Herd Seeder is the primary name in the industry, having produced quality seeders and spreaders for m...

Patricia Cain
8/25/2012 1:43:58 AM
Uncle Harley, I would love some of your Sorghum seeds. We live in the Applachians and planted our first garden 2 years ago and started canning for the first time last year. Making molasses is something we certainly would love to try. I will send you a SASE if that's okay. Thank you again for offering to share. arizonaorchid@gmail.com

Shawn Deree
6/28/2012 8:24:19 PM
Thank you for this article, I would like to try sorghum in my garden. Are there nonhybrid seeds? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I also am in central Missouri Ozarks near West Plains so I hope it can grow here. I also hope it cans well. Thanks Shawn Shawnderee@yahoo.com

Sherry Leverich Tucker
8/8/2011 12:33:47 AM
Uncle Harley - I had the same problem with my first sowing of sorghum. The second sowing had a shower of rain that helped it come up. I have a good stand of enough cane for one decent batch, but honestly, with no rain it is growing poorly and I think it is going to be a crop failure for this year. We will try again next year, won't we? I'll email you!

Uncle Harley
7/31/2011 3:46:25 PM
I planted a couple of hundred TPF208 Rox Orange about two weeks ago here in north Texas. Nothing!! I know it was late... and the temps here have been crazy hot 67 days so far this year of 100 F or greater... 37 now in a row. Too hot I suppose for germination. Anyway, I would really like to get some of your excess Sugar Drip seed.... I would like to start a bit earlier next year... and with a bigger crop. I just picked up a Golden's #2 mill and an 80 gal. batch pan. Please contact me at loganswanson@hotmail.com thanks Uncle Harley

Sherry Leverich Tucker
7/8/2011 10:45:48 AM
Wonderful, a SASE will work great. I will email you shortly. Take care!

arlynch
7/7/2011 11:42:14 AM
OOOOH! I'd love some sorghum seed! My husband and I were just discussing growing sorghum a few days ago and then I found this article. It's serendipity! Please let me know where I can send an SASE.

yvette dorsey
7/6/2011 12:42:44 PM
Hi sherry, I live in north Florida and would like to try growing this cane plant if you have any seeds left. As you know climate here is just right for cane! Trying my hand at a few veggies this year. Why not sorghum too? :) Thank you and hope you have a great crop of sorghum. Happy Summer! Yvette

Sherry Leverich Tucker
7/1/2011 10:12:38 PM
Jessie, that would work out great! I'm happy that you are interested! Take care, Sherry

Jessie
6/28/2011 12:16:57 PM
I would love to grow some sorghum! I can even send you a self adressed stamped envelope if you prefer, just let me know! Thanks!