Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays – food, family, friends and no gifts. The whole day can be spent eating, talking and taking an after-dinner walk. But as anyone who has actually cooked the Thanksgiving dinner knows, all of those friends and family members can hinder the cooks' efforts.
So, here are some almost free ideas for decorating the dinner table, while also keeping the kids entertained and out from underfoot:
- go outside and collect colored leaves; put the leaves in a glass bowl in the center of the table
- fill a glass bowl with fruit
- roll down the sides of a small paper grocery bag to create a paper vase and fill the vase with apples
- cut a few branches with colored leaves still attached and put the branches into the paper vase
- let each child color a turkey on construction paper for placemats
- put one perfect fall leaf at each guest's plate
Decorating does not have to be expensive to express the tone of a holiday. Just use what you have on hand and encourage your children to be a part of the preparations and the celebration.