Homesteading and Livestock

Self-reliance and sustainability in the 21st century.

Craftsmen Provide Quality and Local Trade

4/2/2014 4:00:00 PM

Tags: buy local, Made in America, Missouri, Linda Holliday

This winter, I broke a snow shovel, feather duster, leaf rake and stainless steel measuring cup. Not since childhood have I been violent with my tools. In fact, I treat them with the utmost respect. So, I had to ask, what is going on here?

China tag

Admittedly, we had some bizarre snowfall this year, sort of a snow cone/slushy mixture. However, the hard plastic shovel was not inexpensive or very old. In my opinion, it should not have cracked and split so easily. I never broke a shovel as a Wisconsin youngster, even when using them as sleds in the cow pasture, sometimes standing on them like downhill surfboards barreling over frozen cow patties and rocks.

The plastic feather duster handle broke away about an inch at a time. All I have left now is the cluster of feathers. The wooden rake handle, just three years old, snapped in half during ordinary use. And, the spot weld gave way on the measuring cup handle while scooping oatmeal. These are just a few examples of the poor quality we now accept as normal.

A popular commercial slogan when I was growing up in the 1960s was Zenith’s “quality goes in before the name goes on.” Incidentally, we had only one TV all the years of my childhood, a tubeless black-and-white Zenith.

Back then, we took for granted that first-rate products always would be made in the United States, and only cheap articles came from overseas.

Zenith manufacturing plants were sprinkled all over the county in the 1960s, 70s and 80s. Even tiny Marshfield, Missouri, had a plant that employed a considerable percentage of the town. People in Marshfield old enough to remember still refer to the Zenith plant closing like they would a catastrophe.

Among other industry firsts, Zenith engineers pioneered a reliable wireless remote control, the “Space Command”. Zenith invented subscription television and FM multiplex stereo, and is credited with developing flat-face picture tubes and HDTV years ahead of anyone else in North America. Incorporated in 1923, Zenith introduced the first portable radio, mass-produced AC radio and push-button tuning.

ZenithStill, by the 1970s, Zenith was losing its hold on the market with the influx of imported Japanese electronics. In 1974 Zenith brought federal suit against major Japanese TV and electronics manufacturers for violating U.S. Antitrust Laws and the Antidumping Act of 1916. Sears and Motorola companies soon joined the lawsuit. By 1987, millions of litigation dollars later, the Supreme Court dismissed the cases and refused to hear appeals. Zenith ultimately filed for bankruptcy and is now owned by South Korean LG Electronics.

Meanwhile, in his first bid for president, Texas billionaire Ross Perot warned in 1991 campaign speeches that Americans would hear a loud sucking sound as U.S. jobs went across the border to Mexico. Perot lost the election to Bill Clinton, who supported the North American Free Trade Agreement, which went into effect in January 1992. It’s said Mexico is now hearing the sucking sound in stereo as jobs there leave for India and China.

Any craftsman understands the frustration of walking through big-box stores and seeing an item selling for much less than is possible for us to make that item. Gaping at a cute matching potholder and oven mitt set in a mega-store for $1.99 (not a sale, but everyday price), I whined to a fellow seamstress, Joyce, about it. Even if I were to receive the fabric totally free, already cut into shapes and pinned together, I’d still have to stitch and package the set for $1.99.

Joyce mentioned the hand-crocheted blankets she’d seen in another huge retail store for less than $50 in all sorts of dazzling colors and sizes from twin to king. The same is true of hand-quilted bed covers. It had taken my friend several months to crochet a blanket years ago, but it is still in use and cherished today. I see many of those inexpensive imported quilts barely used, but already falling apart, in thrift stores for a dollar or two. I returned to the store to look again at the oven mitt set and discovered the same faulty workmanship. The potholder image was stamped onto the fabric and the lightweight potholder was barely larger than my hand. Ah, that made me feel better.

I wondered, though, if the average consumer who is not a craftsperson understands about quality materials and fabrication.

Founded on the principles of selling U.S. made products to support local economies, Walmart created a marketing campaign last year to bring back U.S. products, proclaiming two-thirds of items in many of its stores are made in U.S.A.

Since we’ve disassembled our manufacturing plants, however, maybe only imports are available. An online store owner friend has difficulty locating American-made products to sell, and has purchased products she was told were American made, later discovering a made-in-elsewhere sticker.

Just like Zenith testified decades ago, those of us who make goods to sell "guarantee the quality goes in." I concentrate on every stitch when treadle-sewing a clothespin bag, and don’t hesitate to rip out a line of stitching I consider unsatisfactory. My mission is to also reduce the load on our world’s landfills. I recycle fabrics and use 100-percent cotton whenever I can. This dedication to preserving our natural resources is not unique to me.

Clothespin comparison

Clothespin maker Herrick Kimball of Monrovia, New York, doesn’t aspire to be the clothespin baron of the world. He wants only to make the best product possible, one he can proudly put his name on. Herrick even helps others learn to make clothespins to sell themselves. His Classic American Clothespins are not inexpensive, but will last a generation or two or three. And you won’t see your freshly-washed clothes blowing across the yard as often happens with the cheap imports.  Notice the comparison in this photo with Herrick's clothespin on the right.

Neighborly goat-soap maker Janet Nysewander of Happy Daze Farm presented a workshop last week at the local food co-op to teach soap-making. This may seem contrary to her soap-selling business. But, like other crafters I know, Janet wants to keep alive a lost art, help others become self-sufficient, restore local trade, encourage using all-natural, renewable products and promote alternatives to imports.

Other local crafters here include weavers, potters, gardeners, cheese makers, quilters, woodworkers, leatherworkers, and, of course, butchers, bakers and candlestick makers. None of us can make our wares cheaper than the big-box stores can sell them for.

But We Can Make Them Better

Linda Holliday lives in the Missouri Ozarks where she and her husband formed Well WaterBoy Products, a company devoted to helping people live more self-sufficiently off grid with human power, and invented the WaterBuck Pump.

United States Now Leads in Wind Power

Ever wondered which countries around the world are installing the most wind power?

Kidding-Season Tragedy

Preparing for kidding time is always crazy, and sometimes things never go the way you planned.

Potato Bracelets Are a Hot Seller

As the youngest member of a new local food producers and artisans cooperative, 11-year-old Grace is ...

U.S. Food System Provides Extra Calories: Policy Implications?

Is it possible that the sheer extra number of calories produced by our food system could be partly r...

Joeb212
4/24/2014 8:28:55 PM
I agree with you, even AlexM, that quality is products is lacking in many areas. Alex is right, cheap is cheap, no matter where made. The problem didn't happen because manufacturing moved offshore, it happened when manufacturers put profit above all else, including quality. There was a time when Made in America meant something and there was also a time when retail giants like Sears, Lowes, etc ONLY sold quality merchandise no matter where it came from. In fact Sears for many years had things made with their name on it and it meant quality if it said Craftsman, but not since corporate world put profit above quality, name, reputation, etc. I support local craftsman when I came, I am one, but local or chinese, make it quick as cheaply as possible and you'll turn out junk.

GiveAmericaAChance
4/24/2014 1:27:12 AM
I've started buying more and more at garage sales and used stores. Tools, especially, seem to last longer if I buy ones that are already 10 or 15 years old and made in America. This is what giving America a chance is all about. Please check out www.GiveAmericaAChance.com and/or www.facebook.com/GiveAmericaAChance.

ContainerFarmer
4/23/2014 11:07:11 AM
Very good article. Bless the craftsmen and the real farmers because when it goes to hell in a hand basket they will be the ones to put us back together.

rachelkyle
4/23/2014 8:49:20 AM
I've been doing tons of reading about food politics and have a more localized view for your consumption. This is a wonderful article and I've got you both on my list of places to shop with to help support the local movement. Thanks Linda!

ALEXM
4/23/2014 8:00:04 AM
OK, you know what? I'm tired of this drivel. Yes, there's a lot of junk on the market, but it's not because manufacturing went to Mexico, China, or India. While a lot of my tools are pre-WW2 vintage, essentially all the rest are stamped "Made in China." And you know what? They'll last just as long as the ones I bought that are antiques, and longer than most of the ones I bought that are made in the USA. I have exactly one set of good tools that are made in the US, a set of combination squares. Those I bought at Home Depot for about $15 each, and they're fantastic. On the other hand, I have some US made screwdrivers that started breaking down almost as soon as I bought them, and some chisels that are the most uncomfortable chisels I've ever used. The last US made handsaw I bought was so bad I threw it out after using it once: the teeth were poorly set and sharpened, and they were impulse hardened so I couldn't fix them, and the handle was attached at an angle and couldn't be tightened enough to stop it from wiggling. On the "Made in China" front, I have an excellent Ryoba, some fantastic wood-handled chisels, a handsaw that's great for carpentry work (it's a rough-cut saw, so it was never designed for anything else), a cordless impact driver that I expect to outlast me, a pair of circular saws that will probably run until the brushes are worn to nothing, and then keep running after I replace the brushes... I could keep going, but I won't. The problem isn't where the products are made. The problem is what you're buying. That China-made ryoba cost more than an American made equivalent. Same for the chisels, at least until you get up the line to things like Lie-Nielsen. Yeah, if you buy from Target you're going to get cheap junk, and most of it will be made in China. Go to a high-end store and you're going to get high quality goods. And you know what? Most of those are made in China, too. Don't get me wrong: I'd rather buy American made where I reasonably can, purely for the sake of keeping money in our economy. But I'm not foolish enough to believe that American made is automatically good, because it's not. And Chinese made isn't automatically a bad thing, because it's not. Cheap is cheap, no matter where it's made.