Homesteading and Livestock

Self-reliance and sustainability in the 21st century.

Add to My MSN

Cocoa Bean Mulch Dangerous to Dogs

12/10/2008 10:34:00 AM

Tags: cocoa bean mulch, mulch, dogs, ASPCA

Dog
MONIQUE RODRIGUEZ/ISTOCKPHOTO

Beware of cocoa bean mulch. The mulch is a byproduct of chocolate production and is sold for garden beds. However, the chocolaty smell of the mulch is attractive to dogs, that sometimes eat it. The mulch contains a chemical called theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs.

Even if you don’t own a dog, this product is probably not something you would want to use in any location where dogs might pass by.

The mulch causes gastrointestinal upset when dogs consume it at low doses. At high doses, it can cause gastrointestinal obstruction, tachycardia, muscle tremors and seizures. If your dog eats this mulch, immediately contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (1-888-426-4435).



Content Tools








Subscribe Today - Pay Now & Save 66% Off the Cover Price

Lighten the Strain on the Earth and Your Budget

Mother Earth NewsAt MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.00 (USA only).

You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.00 for 6 issues.

(* indicates a required item)
Canadian subs: 1 year, (includes postage & GST). Foreign subs: 1 year, . U.S. funds.
Canadian Subscribers - Click Here
Non US and Canadian Subscribers - Click Here