Green Transportation

Moving toward a transportation system that fuels healthy people and a healthy planet.

MAX Update No 67: Volkswagen's Latest Gets 260 mpg

2/7/2011 1:11:42 PM

Tags: MAX, 100 mpg, fuel economy, gas mileage, Volkswagen XL1, Jack McCornack

Numerous naysayers have looked at MAX and said their yeah-buts. Yeah but a real car manufacturer couldn't make a 100-mpg, because yeah but nobody wants small cars, and yeah but two seats aren't enough, and yeah but a 100-mpg car couldn't pass the latest crash tests, and yeah but it couldn't pass the latest emissions tests, and yeah but you don't understand how hard it is to manufacture a car, maybe you can make a 100-mpg car for yourself yeah but all that matters is what the Big Car Companies do and yeah but they can't. I've argued that if us amateurs can make MAX, the big car companies can do even better, and could use their big car company resources to meet the Smash & Smog standards for store-bought automobiles. To which the it-can't-be-done crowd reply, yeah but that's your opinion you're wrong you're unrealistic you're crazy and you, Jack, are a yay-sayer. Well, here's what MAX's competition has been up to. Volkswagen XL1

As a yay-sayer I present Exhibit A: the Volkswagen XL1. It's the third iteration of their “1-litre car”, a car that will go 100 kilometers on a liter of fuel. Their first two version were design exercises and not terribly practical (tandem seating, for example), but this one here, the XL1, is headed for production. Respected leaks in the automotive world are quoting Martin Winterkorn,VW Chairman of the Board, as saying Volkswagen is planning a limited production run of 100 in 2013.

The XL1 was introduced to the public on January 26 at the Qatar Motor Show (yes, it seemed like an odd venue choice to me, too), and various automotive journalists have driven it (no fair, how come I never get to go to the Qatar Motor Show?) and declared it dang near ready for prime time. In fact, the only complaint I've heard from my colleauges is it's noisy inside. There have been some comments about the 2-1/2 gallon fuel tank, but at 260 mpg, it should be good for 600 miles between fill-ups.

How did they do it? It's a diesel hybrid, it's an aerodynamic marvel, and for a hybrid it's quite light (1,750 pounds). In these limited production numbers, the XL1 is likely to be expensive for an economy car, but the success of VW's limited production Bugatti Veyron shows there are people willing to pay a special price for a special car, and if there are folks willing to pay close to $2 million dollars to go 260 mph in a Veyron, there are folks willing to pay a few percent of the Veyron price to go 260 mpg in an XL1. And yet there are naysayers already complaining that the XL1 has an ugly steering wheel, and it ought to have a rear window instead of a back up camera, and it would be lucky to get 250 mpg the way they drive, and why hasn't VW announced a price. My guess is, if the production version gets over 200 mpg and it's priced under a hundred grand, VW will sell all of them they can make in 2013. And then we won't have to listen to people saying, “MAX doesn't matter, there's no way a production car could ever get 100 miles per gallon.”

Photo from Volswagen Group

Browse through all MAX Updates.

Check out the 100-mpg Car page for all things MAX.

Health Benefits of Cycling

Discover the health benefits of cycling and how you even increase your life expectancy with this act...

Wood-Fired Ovens: Is a Barrel Oven for You?

The Barrel Oven is a functional, efficient wood-fired oven with a short pre-heating period.

Ford Focuses on the Future

With its new EcoBoost engine technology and the rollout of the 2011 Focus Electric, Ford isn’t sitti...

MAX100 The Shows Must Go On

A big crowd likes MAXine better than MAX, and I’ll see you soon, at the MOTHER EARTH NEWS FAIR in Pu...

Anonymous Rue
3/16/2012 2:29:04 AM
I've been following your project for 3 years now and in one word, AWESOME! I've also been keeping a close eye on VW's XL project from the start, truly a remarkable car. For all those out there who doubt the interest; I would definitely buy the VW or even build a 3 cylinder diesel, because at $4/gal it's worth the effort plus it's heck-a-fun. I own and drive daily a 100% stock 1993 GEO Metro XFI and at 40 mph I get 47 MPG. I follow some of the Metro blogs and there are guys getting over 70 MPG with some aero mods.

Charles Bugni
7/8/2011 7:24:10 PM
Lovely

Jack McCornack
2/22/2011 7:46:36 PM
John, it's true that MAX is fun, but it also gives me a ride. And while it's true that the XL1 runs on petroleum hydrocarbons (though both MAX and the XL1 can run on biodiesel), it sure doesn't use much of it. I don't think there's much of a downside to fuel conservation and the XL1 burns roughly 1/10 what an average car on the road consumes. I think it's a step in the right direction.

john m_3
2/22/2011 6:29:29 PM
i am getting a bit confused, max is entertainment, it is not going to give a ride to you or me. it is fun. now, a major car maker has something on the board, for a 2013 sampling of 100 autos, well, i cannot take this to the bank. but the real meal deal is, this car runs on hydrocarbons, oil, the oil companies love this, we are still dependent on oil production. well, maybe we will have all perished by that time due to climate change. if that is ok with you george jr.

Jack McCornack
2/19/2011 12:47:49 AM
Paulie, there are plenty of cars available that get triple the mileage you're getting, and they cost about a grand. They are used Geo Metros. The VW XL1 is out of most of our budgets, but it's still one heck of a flagship for the high mileage crowd.

Paulie Ross
2/18/2011 10:22:45 AM
It will be so much better than the 13.5 mpg I am getting tired of tolerating. But Military retired/disabled and on a fixed income ....how does one afford the luxary of saving?

Jack McCornack
2/15/2011 12:24:42 PM
Yes Norman, it would be worthwhile. I'm still kicking myself for messing up MAX's body back in September 'cause if I hadn't had to fix it, I'd have been improving it. Rear wheel "spats" will call for some craftsmanship (to fit smoothly in the openings that already exist) and it might actually be easier to make new rear fender patters with the wheel covers an integral part of the design. Either way, rear wheel covers are #6 on my aerodynamic to-do list because there are five other items (see MAX Update No. 63; What could be better?) that I think will return more bang-per-workday.

Norman Elliott
2/15/2011 8:33:26 AM
I notice that the rear wheels of this car are covered. Would it be worthwhile adding covers to current cars and would this improve fuel consumption?