Green Transportation

Moving toward a transportation system that fuels healthy people and a healthy planet.

Honda’s High Mileage Club

8/12/2008 10:45:31 AM

Tags: Honda, high mileage cars

Honda makes famously reliable cars, and there are thousands of people out there who have a crazy number of miles — 100K, 200K, 300K, even more — on numerous models such as the Civic, Accord, Insight and Odyssey.

Needless to say, these owners are proud of the number of miles on their cars; these aren’t people who trade for something new every couple years. Honda recently launched an online community, The Honda Mile Makers Club, where they can share their stories and show off their reliable rides.

Here are just some of the interesting stories on the site:

A Civic with 1,170,910 miles

An Insight (Honda’s first gasoline-electric hybrid, unfortunately no longer in production) with 338,000 miles

A Civic Hybrid with 595,000 miles

An Odyssey (minivan) with 400,385 miles

I can personally attest to the reliability of the Honda Civic. My wife and I own two of them, both are the 2001 model year. The green one has 135,000+ miles and the black one is knocking on the door of 100K. Sounds like I need to join Honda’s club.

If you’ve got a 100,000+ mileage Honda, consider sharing your story. And if you've got a 100K+ vehicle, whether Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM or otherwise, post a comment to tell us about it.

Dear Mother: October/November 2008

Letters from our readers on MAX and 100 mpg, reader photos on CU, no-dig garden beds, Barbara Kingso...

A Highchair to Grow With

Build a highchair that will follow your child through years of growth and development.

Automotive X Prize Purse Set at $10 Million

The race for 100 mpg gets a very sweet reward.

Being Grateful for Solar Panels and Pineapples

Cam shares some of the things he is grateful for....

james
11/18/2014 9:51:36 PM
I gave my 2001 Honda Accord to my college daughter after it had 200K miles. My in-law wants to give here 250K mile 2008 Honda Accord to my youngest daughter who will start college this Falll 2015. The car needs a new transmission, fault cruise control(part of bad transmission I think), and other things. Will replacing a transmission prolong life and safetyfor the car, I think it will? I am also thinking about replace timing belt, water pump, seals, maybe engine mounts(but maybe not). The car was nice last time I saw it with leather seat but it now needs works.

mikeross1809
9/9/2013 4:41:52 PM
I have a civic that has about 423,000 miles on it. I have to admit that I'm surprised every morning when it starts. Does anyone know of a really good http://www.toyexusdenver.com/honda-auto-repair.html?

mikeross1809
9/9/2013 4:41:30 PM

JamaicaGirl=April
5/31/2011 10:18:54 PM
I have a 1992 Honda Accord EX wagon that has 471,000 miles to date. I travel over 100 miles per day round trip to my office. My green hornet (1992 wagon) has been a work horse for me over the years. I plan on having my wagon for many more years to come. I believe I am addicted to HONDA. lol

TBurse
2/27/2011 2:43:47 PM
I've got 481,000 miles on a 98' Honda Civic LX. Never used synthetic oil, burns regular gas, and I get about 415 miles on a tank. Mt friends have had 4 cars , in the time I've had the one. I'm in the process of purchasing a new Accord Coupe V6. I'm thinking should get just as much service out of it.

DREW
11/30/2010 1:48:33 PM
HONDA SHOULD TEACH AMERICANS HOW TO MAKE CARS LAST

Joel Cotten_1
10/29/2008 2:49:05 PM
Back in 2002 I bought a 1991 Honda Civic with 206,000 miles on it from my nephew who is a Honda mechanic. He told me at the time that the automatic transmission would probably need to be replaced soon. 3 years and 250,000 miles later I donated the car with over 450,000 miles on it to charity and it was still in good running condition. The transmission never gave me any trouble although I did change the fluid every time I changed the oil (every 10,000 to 15,000 mile or so using synthetic oil). That Honda was the best car for the money that I ever had.

Alex_1
8/23/2008 7:34:56 AM
I purchased a Honda Civic Hybridin the summer of 05 new. It is driven a lot of miles as an IT professional I drive a few hundred miles a day and around 3,200 miles a month around the chicagoland area. With all these miles (the majority of them are in dense city traffic) I average between 43-45mpg. We follow the maintenance plan to a tee.... The front brakes lasted 86,000 miles, the rear brakes are still the originals. The only problems I've had was the gas cap froze and the transmission mount fell off both of these were covered under warranty. Today I'm at 108,000 miles and the vehicle is just over 3 years old. Thank you Honda for such a reliable, fun, and energy efficient vehicle. Go Green!

Kim Wallace
8/19/2008 10:59:28 AM
Hey John, I got a 1999 Taurus in 2002, I believe, and it had 41K on it. Before I got rid of it (gave it to my mom) in May, I'd racked up a total of 123K on it. The Taurus had minor problems here and there, and a couple major ones in 2004, but other than that, it ran fine! I made several 600-mile round trips for four years in it. Gas mileage was OK...maybe 26 highway. But I am now a Toyota fan...had to go back and forth between getting a Honda or a Toyota! Good cars nonetheless. Kim