2012 Green Car Buyer’s Guide, Scion
2012 model year highlight from Scion: the iQ.
GUIDE TO GREEN CARS, Summer 2012
Compiled by Megan E. Phelps, John Rockhold,
Hannah Kincaid, Emily Glover,
Bradley Berman and Zach McDonald
See “What the Numbers Mean” in The Ultimate Green Car Buyer’s Guide, 2012 for a full description of the metrics we collected for each model.
Gasoline, Subcompact Hatchback
Price Range: $16,000
City/Hwy/Combined MPG: 36/37/37
Annual Fuel Cost: $1,500
Air Pollution Score: 5
Greenhouse Gas Score: 8
ACEEE Green Score and Class Ranking: 52/Superior
Safety Ratings: N/A
Space: 73.8 cu. ft. p.v./seats 4
Drive Score: 3
Similar Used: New for 2012
Good to Know:
- Toyota has been showing different versions of its iQ small car design at auto shows since 2008. In 2012, the iQ finally arrived to compete with the Smart ForTwo in the micro-car segment. An electric version of the Scion iQ is also in development.
- The iQ compares favorably with the Smart ForTwo, offering better overall fuel economy, a more spacious ride and more standard features. Yet the iQ doesn’t compete particularly well with the new wave of inexpensive and efficient subcompacts.
- It’s tiny, but still 22 inches larger than the Smart ForTwo. The iQ uses unique 3+1 seating, meaning that the front passenger seat scoots forward a bit more than the driver’s seat, creating more legroom for those squeezed in the back.
What the Press Says:
- “Do you derive pleasure from living in the city, with its hustle and fast-paced lifestyle? If so, Scion has a car for you. ... Designed to adapt to densely populated landscapes, the iQ does everything small, in a big way.” — Motor Trend
- “Compared to the Smart and even the Fiat 500, the iQ’s freeway manners are completely unmatched, remaining calm and even comfortable at 80+ mph — surprising considering its short wheelbase and modest engine.” — Autoblog
- “The iQ drives like a real car, with supple suspension tuning that smooths bumpy pavement far more effectively than its 78.7-inch wheelbase suggests would be possible.” — Automobile
- “The iQ is about the size of a Smart Car, but our initial experience shows that it’s a much better car.” — Consumer Reports
More 2012 green cars: Find details about many more green cars from other automakers in The Ultimate Green Car Buyer’s Guide, 2012.
Photo from Scion