Green Transportation

Moving toward a transportation system that fuels healthy people and a healthy planet.

MAX Update No. 56: Back to the Drawing Board

8/25/2010 10:59:51 PM

Tags: MAX, 100 mpg, fuel economy, mileage, cooling, streamlining, Jack McCornack

MU56aHere's a photo I never wanted to see: MAX all forlorn at the side of the road at 4:00 a.m. That flash sure makes the personalized license plate stand out.

I'm back from congratulating Bill Bushholz. Here's his blog on his remarkable Rally Green adventure. It's his story and I don't have much to add to it right now, so back to MAX.

So ...we limped home, topping up the radiator every 10 miles or so. You can also see what MAX looked like from the same angle as the photo above, except in the daylight. One thing you'll note is it has the same rear fenders as the old body. That was a late decision, to get MAX legal and roadworthy. I have a pair of rear fenders from the same Lola body mold as the front fenders, but they ended up being a bit tougher to mount than anticipated.

Oh, I can mount them just fine, but only one at a time.

MU56bWhen the Lola Mk 1 race car came out in the '50s, its body was made from sheet aluminum, and all its graceful compound curves came from craftsmen with hammers literally beating it into shape. My plan was (and remains) to make a rear body section from flat aluminum sheet with simple curves, and make the right and left the same profile. As you can see, it worked, and the back of the car came out looking nice, plus it's effective, light, and cheap, which are core values for the whole MAX project. The trouble is, the left and right rear fenders are not exact mirror images of each other, so when I frame the center rear body section to fit one fender, it doesn't fit the other one.

I've chosen the right fender to be the master, which means I'll have to make or modify a left fender to match ... and of course I won't start on that project until I diagnose and solve the overheating issue. I predict I'm going to feel really stupid when I find the problem.

Photos by Jack McCornack

MAX100 The Shows Must Go On

A big crowd likes MAXine better than MAX, and I’ll see you soon, at the MOTHER EARTH NEWS FAIR in Pu...

Research Update: MOTHER's Blue Max Homemade Windplant

MOTHER's Blue Max homemade windplant update shows how we put a little "backbone" between the blade s...

Wood-Fired Ovens: Is a Barrel Oven for You?

The Barrel Oven is a functional, efficient wood-fired oven with a short pre-heating period.

New Green Transportation Technology: Ford EcoBoost Engine, C-MAX Hybrid and Focus Electric

The new Ford EcoBoost engine coaxes more power from smaller engines using the newest green transport...

Jack McCornack
9/3/2010 1:49:47 PM
Plenty of flow-through, the hot air comes out unobstructed, behind the front wheels. It has a good thermostat but an iffy water temperature gauge so it's getting a new one. I think I've found the problem and indeed I feel stupid: I had the hose from the water pump to the radiator bent a bit--not a lot, not enough to restrict water flow in any serious way BUT it appears that, when hot, it softened enough to kink itself closed. I've got the weekend for test drives, but I think that's the deal. "...1989 Jag xjs v-12...beautiful even when hot! Anybody wanna buy it?" Woohoo! Our first spam!

JIM PRICE
9/3/2010 11:49:16 AM
don't forget the thermostat.

James Aplin_2
9/3/2010 9:23:47 AM
What powers that "Ugly Betty"? Got a 1989 Jag xjs v-12 i am working on in my barn. It has overheating problems but it is beautiful even when hot! Anybody wanna buy it?

RustyLugNut_4
8/26/2010 1:42:42 PM
Bummer on missing the Rally Jack. We were looking forward to reading about your escapades in your own entertaining writing style. Maybe the Rally can become a yearly event. Good to hear you're taking care of the health side of things too.

Eddie Colon_1
8/26/2010 10:12:26 AM
Hi Jack. I got my copy of the Popular Mechanics magazine and the cover story is about the X-prize contest that you were in before deciding to drop out. Some really interesting reading, and photos. I'm sure someone told you already, but I thought I would mention it , just in case.

Jack McCornack
8/26/2010 9:20:11 AM
Hi Paul, that's a possibility--right now I figure anything's a possibility--but I've plenty of exit area behind the front wheels (or so I think). Tuft testing should tell me.

Paul Messier
8/26/2010 6:12:43 AM
Not enough air is getting out, not enough "flow-thru".