Homemade Laundry Soap Recipe

Avoid chemical-laden household cleaners by trying this homemade laundry soap recipe.
By Lisa Ifland
February/March 2014

Make your own laundry soap and line dry your clothes for naturally clean, fresh laundry.
Photo by Fotolia/Sandra Cunningham

Make Your Own Lavender Laundry Detergent--for Pennies

This DIY washing powder is simple to make, costs just pennies and smells heavenly.

Weekend Project: Celebrate Hemp History Week by Making Hemp Soap

Cap off your Hemp History Week celebrations by making hemp soap. Hemp oil contains essential fatty a...

Natural Products Association Sets Certification Standards

The National Products Association releases its natural standards and certification for household cle...

11 Tips for a Healthier, Safer Kichen

Check out Annie B. Bond's list of 11 easy tips for making your kitchen more healthy and safe, from C...

After learning more about the chemicals in commercial cleaners and the harm they can do long after they go down the drain, I decided to start making my own household cleaners.

During some online research, I found a great homemade laundry soap recipe. It has only three ingredients: 2 cups borax, 2 cups washing soda and 4 cups grated homemade bar soap (or Ivory or Fels Naptha). Mix these ingredients together and store them in a container, and use one-fourth to one-third cup of the homemade laundry soap per load.

It costs pennies to make and works fine for my family’s laundry. There are no harsh chemicals in this recipe, and no need to use laundry softener. You can add an essential oil for fragrance if your soap bar isn’t scented.

At first, I had a hard time finding the washing soda that the recipe calls for, but after a little more research, I discovered it’s the same thing as “pH PLUS” (sodium carbonate), a swimming pool compound found in the pool section of stores during summer. Some stores carry it in the laundry section, too. Happy greener cleaning!

Lisa Ifland
Williamsburg, Kansas

GREGS
2/18/2014 11:50:07 PM
Do you use less of this detergent in a HE washer?

JOHNC
2/14/2014 10:49:20 AM
We have used this in our HE front load washing machine. Works great

RICHARDF
2/14/2014 10:46:23 AM
My wife and I have made laundry soap like this for several years and yes, it will work in all types of machines. I have a HE washer that it works great in. I have used it in both regular washers and the heavy duty ones at the laundry mat. I can also say that it works will enough to get my uniform clean again after wearing it for a month of training in the desert.

RICHARDF
2/14/2014 10:45:32 AM

Mellan
2/14/2014 9:37:18 AM
I am surprised that you would recommend using borax as it is NOT a safe product. Go to Environmental Working Group and read their article.

mgardener
2/14/2014 8:42:00 AM
Does this work with cold water? And what about front load washing machines?

hlmiller69
2/14/2014 8:29:53 AM
Can this be used with an HE washer?

DinkerDwn
2/10/2014 2:44:47 PM
The washing soda is usually in the laundry detergent section, just like Borax. I had trouble the first time (Arm & Hammer washing soda) because it was on the bottom shelf with all the boxes pushed to the back because they were almost out!