For many of us, evaluating the way we use our space is a difficult task. Rather then looking at ways we can improve our current space, we jump to remodeling as the only solution. Increased space may be one solution, but there are other options to consider first such as rearranging, reorganizing, adding natural light and decorating the space in an easy, practical way.
You don’t have to wait for the spring season to declutter your home. Here are a few cleaning guidelines:
• Pass along things you and your family no longer need or use. Donate them to thrift or consignment stores—or have a good, old-fashioned garage sale!
• Reorganize those cluttered storages spaces like your closets, understair areas and kitchen cabinets.
• If your space is lacking storage, create places for commonly used items such as a coat rack or shoe storage. When choosing furniture, pick versatile pieces that double as storage spaces.
Dark rooms are sometimes uninviting and appear smaller than they actually are. Adding natural light to darker rooms will make your space feel expansive. Here are a few ways to brighten up a room that won’t cost a fortune:
• Open rooms removing part or a whole wall.
• Add windows, glass doors or a skylight.
• Add a lighter coat of paint.