Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Need wood stove regulations and info Options
ChuckMI
#1 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 1:53:57 AM

I live in West Michigan. After this rather cold winter, and my not-so-insulated house, I am considering getting a wood stove for auxiliary heat. I currently have a gas furnace. And my house is only 800sq ft. My living room, where I would put the stove, is probably 200 sq ft. at most. Since there are many legal regulations involved, what regulations do I need to know for Michigan?

What other things do I need to know about wood stoves? I would be looking for a free source of wood, perhaps from a tree service. And I do know the wood should cure for 12 months (one season of Michigan summers will cure it real well.)

So I mentioned insulation. I have probably R-25 or R-30 in my attic, but I fear my walls are not so insulated, this is a house built in 1954. I think there is no more than 3/4 or 1 inch of pink insulation on the outside. Putting fiberglass in the walls would involve removing one side of a whole wall, adding insulation, and redoing the wall. I figured a wood stove might be cheaper. I hope to get one installed for $2000-3000.

Since I do have natural gas, should I just go with a gas fireplace? Perhaps an unvented one? Would that be cheaper for installation, and less of a safety hazard? (Insurance rates go up quite a bit if you have a wood stove, though I didn't ask how much since I didn't have a wood stove at the time.) I would also want a fireplace with a blower. It's just not real efficient without a blower.

I don't understand how a NG fireplace could be unvented. Last week I got the equation for the combustion of NG and it does produce carbon dioxide.

davisonh
#2 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 1:53:57 AM

You came to the right place chuck.The best spot for information on woodstove regulations pretty much anywhere in the country is www.woodheat.org . I have an outdoor wood boiler which heats my hot water and my house.All I can tell you about woodstoves is that draught is everything.Not a good draught,not a good fire.You did'nt mention what type of chimney you'd be putting up so I'm guessing steel thru the roof.Chimney (and this goes for any appliance)has to be 2 feet above the ridgeline of the house,preferably higher.Not good to put chimney on an outside wall,pipe tends to cool off too quickly,reducing the draught pull needed for a good fire.Watch your creosote buildup,hardwood tends to have less creosote than softwood,all depends on how dry the wood is.

Gas fireplaces and stoves unvented.All I can say is they're cold. A cold heat (if there is such a thing)is what they put out.My father has two unvented natural gas stoves and never uses them.They tend to emit a lot of moisture into the room;my Dads' had the windows fog up when running them and yes they do emit carbon monoxide,almost to the headache point.I would'nt run them without a window open myself and always did when I ran them,I did'nt trust them without some sort of ventilation.I think theyd be good for an open barn or garage but not ina living space no way..I'd think your insurance rates would go up witht he gas stoves more than they would for a woodstove I think the gas stoves are a lot more dangerous.