Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages <12
Retsel Corporation :) Options
Garden Lad
#21 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2006 6:44:44 PM

Besides which, those sites actually are more expensive then if you book yourself.

Example: For the motel I work at, one of those places charges its customers $75 plus tax for a room whose posted maximum is only $69.95. More to the point, unless there''s a special event booking up rooms, that same room rarely goes for more than $49.95

If anybody uses them, ask yourself why you don''t get a copy of the reciept. It''s because they don''t want you to see what the motels etc. are charging them.
skruzich
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2006 6:54:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garden Lad

Besides which, those sites actually are more expensive then if you book yourself.

Example: For the motel I work at, one of those places charges its customers $75 plus tax for a room whose posted maximum is only $69.95. More to the point, unless there''s a special event booking up rooms, that same room rarely goes for more than $49.95

If anybody uses them, ask yourself why you don''t get a copy of the reciept. It''s because they don''t want you to see what the motels etc. are charging them.

I don''t know GL, i have used those sites, as well as booked directly and most of the time the travelocity and sites like that i get a better deal by at least 25%.

As with anything else out there, you have to shop around and buyer beware. I go onto those sites, and then call the actual hotel for rates or go to the hotel website. I make my decision based on that.

The problem with some of the sites like travelocity is that they buy up hotel rooms at a discounted rate, for example 20 bucks instead of 49 and up that the rooms would normally charge, then they sell them at their markup price. IF they don''t sell them, their stuck with the loss. Thats why they impleented the no refund rule and then started up the travel insurance. That travel insurance collectively covers them for changes, losses, ect since most people don''t change their plans.

Now what i do is go to travelocity or orbits or hotels.com and get the lowest rates there, and then call the same hotels up and ask them their rates, and if their higher ask them if they will give me the same rate travelocity or orbitz gives. 9 times out of 10, i will get a lower rate if i just ask OR i will get a better room like one with a jaccuzi.
zoebisch01
#23 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:51:37 PM

I guess it depends on the situation. We used hotwire once and stayed in the Hyatt Regency in Philadelphia overlooking the river. Gorgeous rooms! The whole 9 yds. $35 a night. No foolin.
turtlehead
#24 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:30:18 PM

Get out.
This was in your youth, right, and you''re about 103?
homegrowntomatoes
#25 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:39:24 PM

Well fellas, I didn''t use an internet service at that time because I was barely computer literate enough to check email back then! I''d called up a place and reserved a room, very careful to ask the specifics of cancellation. They told me that as long as I called 24 hours in advance of the reservation, they''d not charge my card. However, they charged immediately, and then I called and cancelled the reservation, and they refused to refund the money. It took months to get straightened out. But sorry to hijack this thread, which was originally about TH''s grinder that she still hasn''t gotten.
NorthCountryWood
#26 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2006 1:07:07 AM

I''ve been getting the same kinda treatment from the last few places I''ve order online from.

Twinnings tea (my wife loves) charged my card the day I ordered, but didn''t ship for a month. The tea that arrived was wrong and now I''ve been getting ignored for 2 weeks.

Glass jars I ordered thru a company in CA. Again, card was charged the day of order, 6 weeks later, not one returned call or email, and the jars arrive on the doorstep.

I think its the lack of communication that bothers me most. If it''s not gonna be here in a week, fine, just keep me informed!!

I agree with using AMEX for purchases.
turtlehead
#27 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2006 1:47:23 PM

Homegrown, not to worry about threadjacking. :)

NCW, I know exactly how you feel. If it''s backordered or whatever, that''s fine, just let me know. But dont'' take my money and disappear!

After reading everyone''s input I called the 1-800 number on the back of my VISA/debit/check card yesterday, mid-morning. They saw the charge in my records and said they''d have some paperwork in the mail to me and I should receive the paperwork in about 5 days.

Then LO and BEHOLD in the late afternoon, a Retsel employee called me to let me know my mill was shipping and to give me a UPS tracking number. Gee, what a coincidence!

I told her I was very pleased to hear that the mill was on its way, and that I understand delays and don''t mind them as long as I''m kept in the loop, but to have them take my money and then quit answering my email was frustrating. She told me their mail server had been down and they''d been unable to retrieve emails for about 3 weeks... and I countered with "well someone is retrieving them because I have a read receipt that shows my last email was read on March 20th". She didn''t really know what to say to that.

She thanked me for my order and said if I had any questions when it arrived to be sure and call and they were there to help me etc. etc. and I asked what number I should call.. she gave me the number I''d been trying, and I told her that for the last couple of weeks it had a recording on it saying to please call during normal business hours, and I''d been calling around noon (11-1), multiple times, multiple days. She was surprised and said she''d look into it.

So... I''m pleased it''s supposedly on its way, though I''m skeptical. I did keep her on the phone while I looked up the UPS tracking number and ensured it was valid and in the UPS system. I''ll be satisfied when the mill is here and I''ve had a chance to run it and ensure it works. I hope I never need customer support from these people.

VISA kicks ****.
skruzich
#28 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2006 2:19:41 PM

Kool turtle, Look, your getting close to 2 month limit on the chargeback. Yeah i suspect that visa contacted them and read them the riot act. So make sure to go ahead and file the paperwork to charge back the amount and send it right in. Then check out your mill if you get it and make sure its working properly ect ect ect.
You do NOT want to stop the process until your entirely happy! You won''t get another chance after the 7th of april to file and are stuck with whatever you get. After your happy, call visa and tell them your satisfied and they will cancel everything in place once y
your happy.
turtlehead
#29 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2006 4:20:09 PM

That''s pretty much exactly what I figured I''d do. Let the ball keep rolling until I have the mill in hand and know it works.

That''s pretty funny, I didn''t get "(system edited)" put into my post. I put "a dollar dollar" instead of "a ess ess".
skruzich
#30 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2006 6:20:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by turtlehead

That''s pretty much exactly what I figured I''d do. Let the ball keep rolling until I have the mill in hand and know it works.

That''s pretty funny, I didn''t get "(system edited)" put into my post. I put "a dollar dollar" instead of "a ess ess".

Yep kool. a bird in hand is better...
turtlehead
#31 Posted : Wednesday, April 05, 2006 4:10:40 PM

Well the mill got here Monday, with a spare set of burrs on backorder (and a friendly hand written note letting me know that). I updated my complaint with the BBB and as the paperwork from VISA hasn''t yet arrived, I feel pretty happy with the current situation.

I played with the mill a bit on Monday night and ground some flour and made some bread. I didn''t play with anything other than wheat, yet, and I only tried fine grinding, not any coarse grinding. I did a [url="http://byteshuffler.com/rospo/blog/2006/04/mill-rite-grain-mill-from-retsel.html"]write-up[/url] about it on my blog.
VaughnHlll
#32 Posted : Thursday, April 06, 2006 2:47:53 PM

Almost two months I would still be upset. But hey now that you have it send me some homemade bread.
NorthCountryWood
#33 Posted : Thursday, April 06, 2006 3:15:43 PM

Update-

Twinnings finally sent the correct tea next day air and told us to keep the wrong tea. While it did take a long time and obviously cost them, not sure if it''s enough to make me consider ordering from them again.

Sorry for the hijack, but if I complain about a company and they make good later, I feel the need to state that as well.
zoebisch01
#34 Posted : Thursday, April 06, 2006 3:26:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NorthCountryWood

Update-

Twinnings finally sent the correct tea next day air and told us to keep the wrong tea. While it did take a long time and obviously cost them, not sure if it''s enough to make me consider ordering from them again.

Sorry for the hijack, but if I complain about a company and they make good later, I feel the need to state that as well.

Northcountry....if you really love tea check out :

[url]www.uptontea.com[/url]

Fantastic tea, some stuff is really pricy...but, the quality and service is TOPS. Every single thing I have gotten from them has been great and is shipped FAST.
turtlehead
#35 Posted : Friday, April 07, 2006 3:11:56 PM

Anon, I kind of am upset at having been put through the stress of sending them so much money and then them "disappearing" on me. I''m upset I had to jump through hoops before I was high on their priority list. I don''t mind the fact that they are a small company - the woman who spoke with me on the phone all three times, AND answered my emails has the same last name as the owner of the company, so they''re probably tiny. I understand that a tiny company can get backlogged or not be able to absorb fluctuations in demand like a big company. That''s cool - I just wish they would have TOLD me HONESTLY how long it would be before they could ship my mill. But to be told "tomorrow for sure" and then nothing, and to be told "Tuesday for sure" and then become unavailable for over a week... well, that was totally uncool and I am upset about that. I even put a read receipt on one of my emails and it was read, so I know they were just ignoring my emails. I have no idea why the phone wasn''t getting answered though.

Anyway, the product is good and solid, it''s everything I''d hoped for, and it was packed extremely well (in odd piecemeal packaging, like getting something from eBay - but the packing was better than most big places do, for sure), so I''ll consider it water under the bridge.

I must admit I''m ambivalent about recommending them. I love the product. I believe that if I''d had to get some other mill I''d always feel like I''d gotten less, somehow. So I would very much like to recommend this mill. But the experience of trying to get it was a disaster.

Oh, well. Time to focus on more pleasant things now.

NorthCountry - no worries about hijacking. It''s all along the same lines anyway and I totally agree that if a company makes things right by you then you have a responsibility to update/revoke your original complaint. It shows integrity on your part.
Garden Lad
#36 Posted : Friday, April 07, 2006 8:01:27 PM

Turtle, to my way of thinking, they sent you the product. But they _didn''t_ make things right. Not with that level of poor service.

Personally, no matter how good the product is, I could never recommend a company that treated me that way.
turtlehead
#37 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2006 2:05:35 PM

Well, I recommend the product with lots of warnings, disclaimers, and "Buyer Beware" statements. Is that really a recommendation? Not sure, but it''s honest :)
beenthere
#38 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:45:58 AM

An update on Retsel.  Even after reading Turtlehead's woes, I ordered a Retsel Mil-Rite Nov. 6, 2008, primarily because I was familiar with the quality of their products and wanted something that would last, not made out of plastic.  The Retsel PR dept. (?) is apparently still run by the same people, as there was no communication from them beyond the first receipt of the online order, despite my email inquiries as to an estimated shipping date.  And contrary to the website info that no charge would be made until shipment, my credit card was charged Nov. 20, 2008.  You can check the status of your order on the website, but my status didn't change from "In Process" until the day I received the order on January 11, 2009.   I'm totally happy with the product - it's the best and I'd recommend it highly to anyone!  BUT....don't order one unless you have lots of patience.  This isn't an instant gratification outfit and they don't hold your hand.  The sixty days it took to get mine isn't bad from what I've read in other reviews, and to avoid getting very frustrated you should figure 90 days from ordering to get your unit.  I didn't have any phone conversations, so can't comment on unkept shipping promises.  By the way, I had a Retsel for 18 years.  I'd bought it at a second hand store, so who knows how old it was,  and it was still going strong when it was passed on to a friend when I moved (they are pretty heavy).
turtlehead
#39 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:45:58 AM

After MUCH research and hemming and hawing around, we decided to fork out the big bucks and get a Retsel Mill-Rite grain mill.

Long story short, they took my order on Feb 7, charged my debit card, and I haven't seen the mill.

My first couple of inquiries via email got responses of "it's going to ship out tomorrow via UPS and I'll email you the tracking number tomorrow".

Further inquiries have been ignored. The sales phone number now has a recording that says please call during normal business hours, and the customer support number is no longer in service. [:(]

I've filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. For now, anyone considering a grain mill would be wise to avoid Retsel. Having said that, I'm not sure you could even get hold of them to place an order. [V]

I don't like bad-mouthing anyone, and if the status on this changes I'll certainly let y'all know, but their grain mills are *expensive* and if I can save anyone the headaches I'm going through, that would be a good thing.