Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Survival Food Pie Options
practicalman45
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:12:11 PM

Banana Squash Pie

I am not one for measuring stuff much when I cook, so I'm guessing on the quantities of some things here. It shouldn't be too critical.

My pantry has things in it that are stocked up for survival times. The other day I made some squash pies that turned out just superb. Will try to share what I did, but like I said, I usually don't measure much...

Grew some big banana squash in the garden this year. For Christmas dinner I cooked up about 1/2 of one (what could fit in my 8qt pressure pan). Pumpkin should work just as well if that is what you have.  After we ate our squash with dinner, a lot was left still. It was kind of watery from the water at the bottom of the pressure cooker. Scooped it away from the skin (my doggies love that skin). There was about 6 cups of kinda watery squash flesh. Nice and orange and yummy sweet.

In a stainless bowl, work the squash over with a potato masher, the kind with the little square holes. 

Add 6 Tbs. of dried whole egg powder (what they say equals 6 eggs, but don't add the water). Mix in good with your potatoe masher.

Add 1/2 cup of dried milk powder. Mix in.

Add 1-1/2 cups sugar and 1/4 cup of molasses. (brown sugar substitute, but cheaper). Mix in.

Add 1-1/2 tsp  of pumkin pie spice (mine is mixed together already: cinnamom, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, and cloves.). Mix in.

Mixed it all up good with my potatoe masher.

It Looked a lot thicker than the mix you get from the canned pumkin recipe. A little more liquid would have still been ok.....Had to scoop it into the two pie crusts with my potato masher.  The crust was the shortbread crust recipe: 2-1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 cubes butter, a touch of oil, all mixed up with a dough cutter and pressed into the pie pans with my fingers. Any sort of crust could be substituted.

Cooked at 350f  in the convection oven for 50 minutes.

Gosh, did that come out good! The thicker filling worked out just fine. We fought over the last few pieces!