Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

How to plan ahead Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2004 5:01:19 AM

From what i have found, cremation is the cheapest way to go. They charge about 1grand to fire you up. hmmm No casket, no plot.
Bellla
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 17, 2004 6:42:00 PM

Mom passed away a several months ago and had arranged her funeral in advance. For $25 she had filled out a form with all the information that would be necessary after she had died. When she had died we made one call from the hospital and they arranged mom''s transfer to the funeral home. When we met with the funeral home we filled out some paperwork and wrote them a check for around $600 for the direct cremation that she had wanted (the group she made the arrangements through also had options for burials instead of cremation). They delivered her urn to the cemetary (no cost there - Dad''s a veteran). At a time of such grief it was so easy on us to have all the arrangements decided in advance and to have to make only one call to get things started. The group she made all the plans through are affiliated with:

http://www.funerals.org/

This website has links to similar groups in other states. I have had dealings with only one of the groups in this organization, but I hope all the groups in this organization are as easy to deal with as the one Mom used.

Another thing that Mom did was to have her will updated, have a living will, a durable power of attorney, and a community property agreement with Dad. She also left a letter for us telling us to call the pre-arranged funeral people, the lawyer, her brothers, etc. as well as a 3 ring binder with all her financial information in it so that we knew where all of her accounts were, the contents of her safety deposit box, the names of all their insurance agents and policies, and the name of their lawyer. It has been so helpful in settling her estate. I have just a few items left and am waiting for the last Dr. bill. It''s been a tough time, but made so much easier by the care Mom took before her death to make it easier for us. She was fabulous lady and mother - and a great organizer to boot!

Hope this is helpful.

Bellla
JimboAlogo
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2005 5:03:28 PM

There are several ways to arrange for prepayment of a funeral, but these are to be looked at and researched very carefully-- for example, prepayment often does not account for inflation, and the funeral home can charge you a penalty (in some states up to 50%) if you decide to move or change your mind.
The best method may be to take out an insurance policy-- either life insurance or funeral insurance. People should also look at "discount funerals"-- try a google search and see what you come up with, Ideally, you can have avery fair funeral for as little as $2,000. Under $5,000 ought to be the norm (though it is NOT, probably).
FatherSea
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:05:40 AM

It is vital to plan ahead. You should do some research online for good information on planning ahead such as this site on life insurance cover and this one on life insurance advice. Hope these help!!
breezy2
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:05:40 AM

This is something I am interested in. I think it is crazy for a family to be stuck with a huge bill at the time of grief. I currently own 2 plots in a cematary but would like to sell them if I knew something else could be done. My husband and I are in our early 40's and in gererally good health. We do not forsee a need soon, but I want to make an educated choice. Thanks for any info.