Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

yet another battery question Options
davisonh
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:30:14 AM

Hey JD,LTNS How've you been???

Yes jd I do hear your pain regarding the price of the battery(ies) needed for your system.I recently had the opportunity to have to purchase a new 750 ah 48 volt battery for a Raymond forklift at work and I boggled a few eyeballs up in the front office with the price of $3445! The one we had lasted ten years so I told the powers that be where I work that that lifespan is normal for *any* battery and as usual they did'nt want to hear that,but they had to buy it anyways.They had no choice.I shrugged my shoulders and said 'Oh well'.The best,absolute best way you can come across large batts on the cheep is to swing by a highway department garage or even a fire dept.Or a diesel service garage because most have equipment thats in one state or another of disrepair and most have enormous batteries(in the 500 -750 ah range) that are deep cycle because of the auxiliary heating equipment needed to keep diesel fluid in cold weather.They dont want to send them out because it costs them money to have them around.They also have solar-powered signs or dc engine generator sets to run signs that use big battery banks so they dont run the engines all the time.Keep an eye out for golf carts(the local golf course)most are 24- 48 vdc,plus warehouses that use electric forklifts and of course forklift repair companies may give you a good price if you're using them for something other than forklifts,lol.Boat repair companies are the main purveyors of deep-cycle stuff too..

LaserBillA
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:47:33 PM

The local scrap yard gets used electric forklift battery's some times.

One day they got some clear tank battery's in, but someone else grabbed them.

Unless you have the $ for nickel iron, the best option is still lead acid.

Lets hope Li-phosphate batterys live up to the long life expectations.
jd
#3 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 8:56:36 PM

Thanks, guys.  Knew you'd have the answers.  I will put out feelers soon.  I now have a bunch of dead batteries and was wondering if I should try to make my own? 

DC
davisonh
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:07:17 AM

I'm no expert  on battery construction but I do know surface area and strength of plates is everything.The best person to ask about battery construction is Sarah and Majere.He has told me in the past that he's made(or re-made)batteries with limited sucess.I know  he's goten some luck out of polarity reversal procedure but I dont know(or remember)the steps you need to take in order to make it a sucess.
Sarah/Librum
#5 Posted : Monday, September 08, 2008 9:58:46 PM

"The best person to ask about battery construction is Sarah and Majere."

Not me!

"He has told me in the past that he's made(or re-made)batteries with limited sucess.I know  he's goten some luck out of polarity reversal procedure but I dont know(or remember)the steps you need to take in order to make it a sucess."

Ummm...  With the massive hydro aspects, we no longer do battery bank.  But I can tell you the process for the reversal cleaning, but my knowledge on that is 'laywoman'.  Take the battery out.  Short it with appropriate resister.  Leave resistor in until really dead.  Then take trickle charger, connect in reverse.  Have aquarium filter/pump, etc cycling the electrolyte.  I do not know what the filter media is, sorry, but it traps out the sulphur, etc.  I know he made his own at first then purchased, I do not recall the 'mils', but was big enough to pass electrolyte, but not the other compounds.  Run this way until no more shows on filter.  Take off charger.  Drain.  Pull plates, clean plates and tank with non-ionized water, examine both plates and tank, and replace if necessary.  Refill with new electrolyte.  Test.  BTW: all the batteries this was done with were home-made wet lead-acid, in glass or asphault case. 

I also know Majere HATES the 'pock' batteries, like those made by 'Dihard' (spelling?), as designed to be throw away.  "Not even worth melting down for the materials!"

Sarah
jd
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2008 6:15:08 PM

Wow!  You guys are brilliant!  Well, more brilliant about batteries than anyone else I know anyway.  But there was enough in Sarah's comments for me to decide NOT to build my own.  I will be hunting and scrounging instead.  Thanks. 

jd
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2008 6:15:08 PM

I have a 48 volt system.  Outback 2500w inverter.  80 watts of PV power at 48v and a wind turbine to raise when I get the time.  Sunwest 400 (48v version).
I had three banks of batteries.  Two bans were comprised of old salvage batteries from a 120 volt system (60 x 2 volts).  But they weren't deep cycle and over the past year or so, I have blown too many of them to use them anymore.  The cases crack and explode.  Not good!  My deep cycle çheapies have held up and are now the only bank on line.  Looks like I may have to spend money to get another bank.  Not keen on that.
So, the question is: I would like 500 - 1000 ah at 48v for the least expense possible (not cheap - just haven't earned a dime in the last five years as I have been building my house and doing more interesting things).   Davisonh.............?  Can you bring your  genius to bear on this?