Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Hubbard homestead feed not as noted in recent TMEN Options
Shaun
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:20:31 AM

An update on the feed problem. Tried calling MN, the receptionists were really sweet, but never was able to speak with anyone who could help me, could just leave messages. Not sure if anyone tried to get back with me when I was not in the office, it was a crazy day at work, but didn't catch anyone to actually speak to. But, I did get a very courteous and informative e-mail reply this evening. The feed IS available both with and without amprolium ( a medication to control coccidiosis). The website recommended in Mother's article doesn't mention this, so I suggested it would be a good idea to include that fact on the website in the future. I would have been far more likely to check the tags immediately if I'd known there was any possibility it could be medicated. The company has offered to replace the feed we'd purchased, hopefully this will be quick, since birds have been hatching like mad (and I don't think I've ever seen a cuter baby than our Heritage Blue Slate Turkey Poults) So, although I wasn't pleased with the service from the area sales rep from the company, the main office seems anxious to make this right with us. We're just getting started ramping up our poultry production, since we have several requests to buy humanely raised birds, we may become much better customers of Hubbard in years to come. When you live in Michigan, there are times the birds just can't get much feed roaming out in the yard and field. Will update this when we get this resolved. Moral of the story so far? Use all avenues to resolve a problem. One of them may work!
Shaun
#2 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2008 7:39:47 PM

Last update on the feed saga.  We were ulitmately unable to obtain the turkey starter unmedicated, although the company did provide a recipe to mix their meat producer feed with the Chick-en-Egg to make up an acceptable product on our own.

It seems some of the unmedicated feeds are only available in certain areas of the country, and we live in the wrong area.  In our area all the feeds are mixed medicated, unless you are willing to order 2 tons!  Not quite our size order! The home office did convince our area mill to mix up a batch of their meat chick feed (the name escapes me right now) without meds, we will be able to use this for our chicks, as we grow Buff Orphs and Black Austr., both of which are heavy breeds.  We will mix our own turkey starter.

The feed we had already purchased was indeed replaced at no charge, although I was a little disappointed we weren't given extra feed as originally offered.  Since it seems the main office put in quite a push to get us the one feed without medication, I'm not going to complain, as I really do feel that without medication, this is a superior product from what we have been able to obtain. 

The final appraisal?  Good feed, but if you order, BE SURE you can get the feed unmedicated.  I'm told in many areas of the country this is not a problem.   

Frosty
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2008 9:54:31 AM

As they told you, amprolium isn't an antibiotic, it's a coccidiostat.  It doesn't cure coccidiosis, but supposedly helps keep the oocysts from multiplying.  That being said, I don't feed it to my birds, either.  I use the Purina non-medicated.  Fortunately, they finally started marking their bags better, the medicated and non-medicated bags used to look identical so you had to read the ingredients on the tag.    

From a web site:

Pharmacology - By mimicking its structure, amprolium competitively inhibits thiamine utilization by the parasite. Prolonged high dosages can cause thiamine deficiency in the host and excessive thiamine in the diet can reduce or reverse the anticoccidial activity of the drug.

Amprolium reportedly acts primarily upon the first generation schizont in the cells of the intestinal wall, preventing differentiation of the metrozoites. It may also suppress the sexual stages and sporulation of the oocysts

Shaun
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2008 9:54:31 AM

There was an article in the latest Mother about Hubbard Feeds having a new "natural" Homestead line without antibiotics.  Looked up the website cited in the article, read the list of ingredients, and had an area feed store special order some chick started and turkey starter, as I wanted feed free of all meds. 

Imagine my surprise, then, after I'd emptied the feeds into my storage barrels, and went to attach a label from the bag to each barrel to keep them straight.  In bright green ink, each had "medicated" stamped across the label.  What!!??  Sure enough, both feeds have amprolium in them.  Rechecked the website, no mention of that in the lists of ingredients. 

Called the feed store, who referred me to their sales rep, who stated repeatedly that "99% of all people want the medicated feed."  When I noted that I had specified non-medicated feed, he said the feed store didn't tell him, and besides, "99% of all farms want medicated feed."  Besides, he added, it isn't an antibiotic.  I assured him I knew that.  He continued to insist he didn't know I wanted non-medicated feed, since "99% of orders are for medicated feed."

Checked with our feed store, and they say they did specify non-medicated, and I think the sales rep doth protest too much about 99%!  Now the rep says he'll be back in town tomorrow, and he'll "see what he can do"

Have called and left a message with Hubbard in MN, and also e-mailed them, but haven't gotten a reply on either.  In the meantime, I have chicks and poults that started hatching last night....

So beware!  The fine article in Mother that I thought had solved my problems has only given me headaches.  Now I have 200# of pretty pricey feed that I can't use, and nothing to feed my hatchlings.