Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Help - my rabbits won't breed! Options
francorios
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:15:20 AM

A two year old that has not been bred for some months could be tough to breed.

I have some breeding tips on my web site
http://www.rabbitgeek.com/breedingtips.html

You might also try a change of scenery. Put a dog pen on the grass to contain the rabbits. Do this in a fenced lawn area if you can. Be sure they have food, water, and shade out there, and hopefully cover from aerial predators (hawks).

Many times the does are so happy to have some running room that they will breed when they would not before.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

emptycupranch
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2008 5:53:00 PM

Thank you Franco - I have replied on the other forum
emptycupranch
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2008 5:53:00 PM

I bought a standard rex doe and a buck a month and a half ago. The doe is 2yrs old and has had a few litters, and the buck is a year old - I don't believe he has bred before.

I put them together after they had settled in their new home - the doe didn't seem interested in the buck, she would just tuck her tail down and growl/whine. I tried for a few days and finally left them together overnight. Hoping that they managed the deed I am now sure that they did not - it has been 36 days. I started putting the doe back in with him for 10 minutes at a time 4 days ago, a couple times a day. Same thing, she just growls and hunches down so he cant get to her. Today she didn't growl but was still not receptive - and the buck really wasn't even interested in her anymore. I think he has given up!

These are my first rabbits in many years - I used to have two angoras that bred easily...like rabbits...lol

I did not expect my new rabbit farming venture to get off on such a rough start! Is there anything I can try? I always put the doe in the buck's cage. I've tried at all different times of day, in different weather. I've tried hiding from view to give them privacy! I do know I definitely have a male and a female. Help!