Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

homestead fish raising Options
vacuumgirl
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 09, 2007 5:45:22 PM

John, are you looking to stock a pond?  Our local co-operative extension agency just had a sale for stockers.  In the past I've bought pond stockers from Tractor Supply or Farm and Fleet.  Around here you can get Bluegill, Sunnies, Bass, etc.  I've noticed here in Texas that the local Ag Supply has an add for a sale next weekend, even including catfish.  Bring your own bucket.  Is that the type of info you are looking for?
John Stiles
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:19:08 AM

Not a pond. I'm thinking a more controlled area, a septic tank or something.
TechEdFireman
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:56:29 PM

If you want to do something small and controlled like a septic tank size vessal, then I would suggest looking up Aquaponics.  I am a "shop" teacher in NY and just this quarter I am experimenting with my students some Aquaponics here in my classroom.  My fish of choice just because I have them are goldfish.  But aquaponics can use any type of fish plus you get fresh produce out of the deal.

John Stiles
#4 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2007 4:31:18 PM

Interesting concept and it is applicable.

I have water from either a creek or a spring and now have electricty so an aerator is doable. Using the outflow water for hydroponics could be all downhill, needing no pump. But I still haven't seen much available info, for free anyways.

Looking a bit deeper I ran across a coolwater fish farm in upstate NY not far from me. I haven't asked yet but perch may work around here better than tilapia.

TechEdFireman
#5 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2007 4:37:56 PM

Perch, Sunfish, Bluegills, or even Bass will work here in NY state.

Spark123y
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2007 1:47:13 AM

JOHN,  SUNY at Cobleskill has an extensive aquaculter/fisheries program. They raise fish in tanks. You mite get info from them. I guess if you just raise them for yourselves there wont be a problem but.. here in NY they have a ton of regulations reagarding fish farming (raising and selling stockers). Everything has to be inspected etc. Good luck with your project and let us know how it goes.:)
John Stiles
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:33:54 PM

My first thought with building a fish raising area was how to clean it out, zebra mussels, small fish and stemmy water plants would be typical. I thought a small tractor and bucket, but was convinced that a septic pump would work. That alleviates the need to build a block wall stucture that a tractor couldn't damage but could get in and clean.

So, I have beautiful sand and plan to build a terraced pool. I can line it with plastic but the angle of the terrace would be shallow, as the sand is fine. To stabilize the sand, to effect a steeper angle and protect the plastic I thought of using cement soaked burlap over the plastic. But this I think would rot too quickly and poultry netting reinforcement might tear the plastic.

Any ideas?

Sarah/Librum
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2007 9:42:30 PM

John,

Check with the extension office in your area.  I know that one of their bulletins was redone (2004?) about catfish farming in ferroconcrete tanks.  Don't have the information handy now though.

Sarah
JMan
#9 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2007 9:54:19 PM

I have thought about this myself. I have an old barn (it's big) with a lot of room. My thought was to find a above ground swimming pool and use it. It should be sturdy enough for fish considering how much a kid plays in one. Also pools can usually be bought fairly cheap if you cn find somebody that is taking one down, you would just have to buy a new liner.
John Stiles
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:58:04 AM

The old pool wasn also my neighbors idea after telling him mine. I never got to it this year and may not. Still fish don't fall under the animal id act or cruelty laws that may be used to keep us from animal husbandry.
Klorinth
#11 Posted : Monday, March 03, 2008 10:04:46 PM

Here is the best site I have come across for what you are looking at. The ideas are good and you may even be able to create everything on your own.

www.cropking.com

and another:

http://rainbow.konto.itv.se/mailgroup/f499.htm

You can also check out these:

www.northernaquafarms.com
http://www.aces.edu/dept/fisheries/education/resources.php

Here is the best homemade system I have seen. This is what I would build:
http://backyardaquaponics.com/pics/barrel-ponics.pdf
Backyardaquaponics.com has a very nice website.

Hope you like some of these.
John Stiles
#12 Posted : Monday, March 03, 2008 10:04:46 PM

Hi,

Anyone know about small scale fish raising? I've googled it and no reel info on it, just books to buy that mainly are about small commercial operations. I want food for the family, so more than one species is desired.

I've the water to do it and I'm in upstate NY. Need any other info?

John