Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

3 Pages <123>
Does anyone...... Options
williamsson
#21 Posted : Wednesday, September 03, 2003 2:57:41 PM

okay, I''ve got a question. . . I''ve been told that a rooster can''t crow while sitting down. . . is this true? I''ve been living in southeast asia, and all the locals keep these woven baskets over their roosters, I guess so they can''t stand up!
majere
#22 Posted : Wednesday, September 03, 2003 11:07:23 PM

Williamson.

Doesn''t work here. But I suspect it is a breed thing. But with the guineas here, noisy things, crowing is unimportant.

Galeshka,

Tip for thee. Alchohol based tincture of pepper, we use the little red ones, (cayenne?). Wonder drug. A couple of drops down the gullet does wonders if thee is about to lose the fowl, due to chill, etc. And if giving other medication, useful for its stimulation of blood flow. Powdered is also useful to stop blood flow. I remember one rooster that had lost part of his head to a fox, a dusting, and he recovered, but funniest rooster thee ever saw. One can make non-alchohol tincture, but not as effective, but then again the chickens won''t go ''loopy''.

Take care,

Majere
skruzich
#23 Posted : Wednesday, September 03, 2003 11:57:09 PM

Majere,
I use the cayenne pepper tincture myself. It is good to take it along with other meds, herbal or otherwise. For some reason it opens up the capillaries in the body and allows the medicine to spread quicker. It has also been found at some of the universities, that it stimulates cell regeneration. They tested it on a piece of heart tissue and it actually grew in the solution. I cut my hand real bad one day about 6 months ago, and couldn''t stop or slow the bleeding, so i opened up the cayenne pepper (ground) that i use for my cooking and dumped it over the cut and it almost immediately slowed the bleeding and i wrapped it and went to the hospital. They wondered what the red powder was and I told them and the doctor just shook his head in amazement and said that it was a interesting way to stop the bleeding. It also cleaned the wound. I to this day do not have a scar where i cut my hand.
I also use it in some distilled water and eyebright tea and use a shot glass to wash my eyes out. Makes them water like crazy for a couple minutes but they feel great afterwards and i can actually see a bit clearer.
It didn''t burn when i put it on my wound. When i drink the tincture water it warms up the body real quick, i found it useful to take off the chills i got last winter, much more so than taking a shot of whiskey.

I am sure that all of its uses haven''t been discovered.

It is rather simple to make a tincture, just add 1 part pepper to 2 parts goldengrain or everclear alchohol.
I guess you could make a stronger tincture if you used it 50/50 not sure and haven''t tried that.

TTYL
steve
Galeshka
#24 Posted : Thursday, September 04, 2003 2:41:20 AM

Thank you Majere and Steve....I knew cayenne was handy but you''ve opened my eyes to an entirely different set of uses.

Be well...
skruzich
#25 Posted : Thursday, September 04, 2003 3:02:21 AM

Hey Galeshka, alot of our spices we use are medicinal herbs. I do know one thing about peppers, the HOTTER you get them the more they seem to do for you. I have some capsicam powder Capsicum annuum (40,000 HU) this is what i use for cooking mostly, but I also have some called Capsicum chinense (350,000 HU) which is what i use for medication as well as making one heck of a 3 alarm chili :) :D

Be rather careful if you find the 350,000 HU, it will burn the skin if you get it on your face or near eyes, or other tender areas. What ever you do if you make a medicine out of it, put it in a capsule to swallow it.
steve
Galeshka
#26 Posted : Thursday, September 04, 2003 3:42:24 AM

After eating my husband''s nuclear stew that is one warning I will definitely heed Steve! LOL, the stuff has a half-life of 30,000 years!

Be well.....
skruzich
#27 Posted : Thursday, September 04, 2003 4:31:46 AM

LOL
I love my chickenwings when i make them. Take them and grill them til done, drop them into my sauce, soak for 10 min then throw back on the grill until the sauce is starting to dry. Then mix a little sauce into some molasses and brush onto the wings and grill until glaze stops dripping. MmmmMMM
Ohh I forgot, i use Daves Insanity sauce mixed with tobasco sauce and a few other things.
Steve
Galeshka
#28 Posted : Thursday, September 04, 2003 5:01:23 AM

okay, time to start trading more recipes!

Be well......
cherterr
#29 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2003 5:29:10 PM

Gosh! No one''s mentioned Buff Orpingtons!! They are soooooo sweet!! Definately the most docile of chickens... HOWEVER, they are fast little buggers and will have a harder time getting away from preditors. But the seem more broody, as well so if y ou want to hatch eggs, chances are good. (and ONE rooster will go a LOOOOOOONG way!:):)
lytey
#30 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2003 7:07:42 PM

I can testify to roosters getting an attitude...When I was about three or so went to feed the chickens and the thing attacked me 10 stitches on my face, he chased me and also clawed my back...love chickens, don''t want any roosters. I have three kids of my own and have considered chickens...we''ll see, maybe just guinneas:)? Good day Lyte
ironkitten
#31 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2004 3:02:54 PM

You said Buff Orpingtons... OMG, in MHO the BEST all around chicken to have. But as far as the laying goes... the Black Australops... they just lay no matter how cold it is. Orpingtons and Reds being the best mothers I''ve ever had, but the blacks r good ones too...

Still Orpington''s are the sweetest like cherterr said, they get really FAT, mine are free range and still the only thing round here that''s ever got them is a car when she got too close to the road...

Roosters? If you''re not raising baby chicks, you WILL get sick of him, at least on some days! I still wouldn''t live without ours. One rooster and 25 to 30 hens. I think you''d need over a hundred before mine would need help. ha ha
Galeshka
#32 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2004 3:11:11 PM

Welcome to the forum ironkitten. Glad to see the comments about Buff Orpingtons since they are the ones I''ve decided to try....can''t wait until we get our own place so I can get a few!

Be well....
ajortolani
#33 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2004 7:10:12 PM

What do you guys do in winter to keep your chickens alive? I wish I could have some now, but am afraid they wouldn''t survive mountainous zone 5...verrrrrrrrrry cold!

[:)]Oh & welcome, Ironkitten.
skruzich
#34 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2004 11:18:11 PM

That depends on how cold zone 5 gets aj. I have seen my grandpa raise chickens in the north and they did fine with nothing special. Just give them a place where they can bunch together and if necessary put a light in the coop.
ironkitten
#35 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2004 12:44:55 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome, which is more than I can say for the other thread I was in... remind me NOT to get into personaly belief set discussions. I just love the magazine and recently found the forum for it... MUCH different!! LOL

I agree with you Steve. They can be raised that far north without incident. Just make sure they get the water, they need plenty of fresh water... and Galeshka, enjoy the Orps, they''re really good birds...
ajortolani
#36 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 10:06:46 PM

Really, I had no idea. It gets cold here, not always but you do have to allow for -20, as it can go that low frequently enough that you must be prepared for it. I thought that I would have to build an insulated hen house (or palace! LOL) & not let them outside ?? Well, I guess I could always just eat them each fall & never have to worry about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Galeshka
#37 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2004 2:39:40 AM

Fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, chicken curry, roasted, toasted, baked and boiled....yummmmmmmmy!
galinka
#38 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2004 2:37:51 AM

... know where to buy Rhode Island Reds chicks or one year old hens in Seattle area?

Thanks in advance
skruzich
#39 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2004 4:30:19 AM

You can order them from mcmurray.
weedsmoker420
#40 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2004 6:32:32 AM

Yeah a shot of everclear will make you see a liitle better. pass the jar to me.