Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

3 Pages 123>
Does anyone...... Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2003 5:24:14 AM

Rhode island reds. Great egg layers, great for the freezer or frying pan too.
They can get a bit of attitude at times especially the rooster, but all they might do is chase a kid a bit. Hens will swarm ya when you feed them, so that might be a bit scary.
These produce a large brown egg and they are absolutely perfect for baking and just plain frying up.
steve
Galeshka
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2003 5:30:51 AM

kewl! thanks Steve! btw, looks like we''re chasing each other through the threads again, lol

Be well......
johnhagen
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2003 6:47:30 AM

We have buffs and australops both they are great no bad habits at all.As far as a rooster any breed can have a bad attitude,and as far as i am conserned you dont need one any way.We have had chicken for a lot of years and unless you want to hear him crow then no need
Galeshka
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2003 11:53:34 AM

Thanks John, I appreciate it! I might have to borrow a rooster for one day, (morning) if only to see the kids faces when he wakes them up, he he he. You did answer my next question for me......I was wondering if a rooster was really necessary. I think it would be good for wee CM (my youngest) to be around animals and have the care of them, with help and supervision of course, and don''t think he would be afraid of the hens flocking around him to be fed, but I remember being ''spurred'' by a rooster when I was little....and would hate to have it happen to him and possibly frighten him badly.

Be well........
patrick46135
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2003 1:05:42 PM

We have Black Australops, they lay well, even into the winter months. Good temperment, range well, get broody at times and make good mothers.
Make sure the little ones don''t wear sandals or shorts, our hens think little kid toes are tasty.
Galeshka
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2003 2:15:37 PM

Ouch! I will be sure to keep that in mind patrick, thanks for the info. Getting broody isn''t necessarily a problem, unless, of course, I have no rooster ;-).

Be well......
skruzich
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2003 2:53:00 PM

Actually a rooster is necessary if you want to hatch some of those eggs into some more chicks to replace the ones you eat ;) Hehe.
Also, a fertilzed egg also contains lecitin whereas the ones that aren''t fertilized don''t. Helps to control cholesterol
You only need one rooster for the bunch hehe, keeps him so happy he won''t have the energy to crow.
steve
Galeshka
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2003 8:01:59 PM

Oh no! If I have a rooster he better crow or into the stewpot he goes! LOL MMMMMMMM Chicken and dumplings! Hmmmmm.....more ''food'' for thought.

Be well......
skruzich
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2003 8:28:14 PM

LOL
Stew pot huh ;P i do the same to those hens that don''t lay eggs.

Galeshka
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2003 9:17:18 PM

yuppers, that''s what I''m planning to do as well; and it wouldn''t hurt to have a few capons for frying chicken...yum yum yum..oops, sorry, didn''t mean to drool, he he.

Be well.....
patrick46135
#11 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2003 1:32:46 PM

Galeshka,
you say you want him to crow now. Just wait though, they crow all the time. My wife had me off on that had a bad habit of getting under our bedroom window at sunrise on her days off and crowing his head off. They crow at night if disturbed, they crow anytime during the day to show the world they are here to stay, etc, etc...
Also remember to try to keep the ratio of hens to roosters around 1 to 10 or more so he doesn''t wear the girls out.
Galeshka
#12 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2003 7:48:36 PM

Hmmm, lol, yes, IF I have a rooster I want him to crow; keyword being IF ;-). Have you had any rain up your way?? Everything thing is drying out ''round here.

Be well......
patrick46135
#13 Posted : Monday, September 01, 2003 3:23:57 PM

It sure isn''t dry now. Thinking about teaching the livestock to swim till I can get the ark finished.
:-)
Galeshka
#14 Posted : Monday, September 01, 2003 9:45:45 PM

LOL, same here Patrick, may not be able to get the kidling to school or the hubby to work tomorrow, roads are flooded or flooding.......glad we live on a hill! Hope you''re okay.

Be well........
johnhagen
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 02, 2003 12:53:03 PM

Patrick you must be close to us we live in central IL,and the rain was great.We lost 2 planting of fall green beans and our other crops took a beating.Veg and Produce down 30% at least this year.Got 3 inches from Friday thru Monday and the ground took it all it was slow and even all weekend.A little late now but very thankful just the same,it will help the well.How was your year at your produce stand or do you sell only at farmers market. John
skruzich
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 02, 2003 12:56:13 PM

Last month we had over 15 inches of rain here in North georgia, normally we only have 3 -4 inches in the summer, and NORMAL for this time of year is 6-7 inches.

Needless to say my Purple hull peas did absolutely nothing, even my Persimmon tree didn''t put out any fruit. Only thing I got this year was blackberries. I have corn stalks about 2 feet high with a couple mini ears on them.

TTYL
steve
patrick46135
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 02, 2003 1:29:10 PM

John,
We sell from the farm and at a farmers market normally. We got a late start on planting this year due to early spring rains and cool weather. For most of the summer excluding the last month or so we were getting about an inch of rain a week here.
Had a good year as far as production goes but have noticed a drop in customers this year, attribute this more to economy than anything else.
This weekend (Sat thru Mon) we received a total of 12 inches. Figure this weeks crops of tomatos are trashed, and hope the rest of the field doesn''t rot in place.
Galeshka
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 02, 2003 10:22:24 PM

Remind me not to complain about the lack of rain again......not that it''s likely to do any good.
Daughter''s school was cancelled today, many of the roads are flooded and 3/4 of the school''s staff and students wouldn''t have been able to make it in. We have one road which is somewhat passable, as long as cars don''t meet in a bad spot, lol. Most of my tomatoes and peppers are in containers since this is a rental, and I covered them to prevent them drowning, but I would imagine my ''walking'' onions are going to be a complete loss; fortunately I saved a few sets for when we once again have permanent quarters.

Be well........
johnhagen
#19 Posted : Wednesday, September 03, 2003 6:23:54 AM

Patrick we had 1 inch in July and 1/2 in August.So you can see how rough it was.I think sales are off because of the price of gas we are 10 miles from a town and alot of our sales are from drive by and weekend trips to the (farm) we have animals for the kids to feed and pet.Can not believe that much rain ,we would be floating.Have a good week
Galeshka
#20 Posted : Wednesday, September 03, 2003 7:09:34 AM

Correction on having one passable road........hubby finally made it home around 8:30 tonight, but daughter had to stay with grandparents, NONE of the roads are passable now and the rivers still haven''t crested, hubby left the car on the far side of one of the impassable places and WALKED through it to get home :-S. Patrick, we didn''t get quite as much rain here, only (!) about 9 3/4 inches. With the rivers still rising we may well be unable to get to the car tomorrow.

Be well.......