Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Molting and Brooding Options
Frosty
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 02, 2007 5:54:29 PM

Do you have supplemental lighting for your hens? They need 14 hours of light per day to keep the laying up. We have 2 60 watt bulbs in our hen house with an outdoor rated timer. I don''t have the timer on right now because I don''t want to be over run with eggs and I''m letting the girls take a break for the winter. Plus in all honesty, your production is on a down hill slide, too. Peak production occurs the first year, then it tapers off. What kind of hens do you have?
ShvlhdLady
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 02, 2007 7:16:12 PM

They are a commercial cross variety, rhode island red and something else... They are pretty much free range (and love being in the rain), but their "house" is lit... They prefer to sleep on top of their egg house in the open yard in a large pile... really is rather cute...My customers miss their eggs...I only charge 1.25 a dozen for XL and XXL eggs... it pays for the feed. I have day-olds due in February (I order chicks from the midwest)...another 30...guess I''ll live with the lowered production til the newbe''s arrive and start laying next summer. THANKS for the reply...
steve breck
#3 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2007 5:41:22 PM

HI THERE,  I'M HAVING A PROBLEM WITH BROODING HENS AND I WAS TOLD TO PUT THEM IN A WIRE BOTTOM CAGE AND MAKE SURE THEY GET WATER...THEY  WON'T EAT  WHILE BEING BROODY ..SUSPEND THE CAGE FROME THE CEILING AWAY FROM THE NEST(OUT OF SITE) ,SO IT WILL SWING IF THEY MOVE IN IT.  I PUT A ROOST IN MINE..THEY DON'T LIKE LAYING ON THE SCREEN BECAUSE IT IS COLD TO THIER UNDERSIDE...SOME OLDTIMERS REMEDY..I HOPE IT WORKS ,,I WAS TOLD TO DO IT 4 DAYS..WISH ME LUCK       HENMAN
ShvlhdLady
#4 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2007 5:41:22 PM

My small flock molted in July-September of this year. They were super producers last year. The average flock age is about 2 yrs now. I understand the 3-4 months of no eggs after the molt, but I am basically getting 1/2 dozen a day now, vice the 3 dozen I was getting before. The hens are also in a brooding mode, creating small "nests" in the sand, and sitting all day....How can I get my production back up, or should I start with a new flock and fill the freezer with stewing hens? Thanks[:)]