Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Great book Options
Frosty
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2007 9:05:50 AM

30 below in MN? Move to ND, we have a balmy 4 above! And it only went down to -19 last night, no wind so I actually got to fire up the charcoal grill and cook a nice london broil...

Where did you find that book? Sounds like I would really enjoy it!
BobTarte
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2007 5:15:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kaia

Have any of you read Enslaved by Ducks? It''s about a couple of yuppies who move to the country, and slowly their lives get taken over by all the critters (mostly birds/waterfowl) they end up collecting. It''s hilarious - it makes me feel sane by comparison, but at the same time there''s just enough similarity to my life to make me terrified! Anyway - it''s 30 below up here in MN, everything keeps closing down, and it was a great winter read. Just thought I''d share. :)

BobTarte
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2007 5:20:23 PM

Hi, Kaia,

Thanks for the nice review of "Enslaved by Ducks." I did want to point out that Linda and I are and were anything but yuppies. When I married Linda, she lived in a two-room cabin in northern Michigan with no electricity, running water, or telephone. And I was a freelance graphic artist with the kind of salary a freelance graphic artist suffers from.

I did want to mention that the story of our (non-Yuppie) lives and animals continues in my new book, "Fowl Weather."

By the way, it was fifteen below here in Michigan last Monday, which made outdoor animal chores a joy.
thymeforewefarm
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2007 1:10:43 PM

Bob, I''ve seen your book mentioned in several places lately. Can it be ordered directly from you?
BobTarte
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2007 6:18:09 PM

Hi, Robin,

Thanks for asking, but, no, I don''t sell the book.

You can visit my website, www.bobtarte.com, and order "Enslaved by Ducks" or "Fowl Weather" via links to Amazon.com. I''ve also posted lots of photos of our ducks, geese, parrots, cats, hens, rabbits, and other animals on the site, which you might enjoy. (Plus info on both books, including reviews.)

All of our poultry and waterfowl are strictly pets, and they do get spoiled. Thanks to a recent donation of ''day old'' bakery goods, our ducks, geese, and hens have been snacking on foccacia bread. Now, that''s living!
poniprincess
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2007 11:11:14 PM

I would love to read these books! I have a secret addiction to fowl. I am hoping to expand my chicken pens and get more involved in breeding and care. I hope to learn some from you, Bob.
BobTarte
#7 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2007 12:04:41 AM

Hi, Tami,

You definitely don''t want to read "Enslaved By Ducks" or "Fowl Weather" as ''how-to'' books. It''s best to consider them ''how-not-to'' books. I would imagine that almost anyone here is more of an expert than I am... or at least has more common sense!
Frosty
#8 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2007 3:54:12 AM

Hi. Bob! Welcome to MEN forum! And I am delighted that you are here! I have a serious addiction to birds, and found your site while researching your books after kaia mentioned them above... I will probably see a lot of myself when I read them (though I do admit that not all of my birds are pets...) I really look forward to getting these books! And yes, watering the horses when it was 18 below the other day was a joy (not!).

Shirley in ND
BobTarte
#9 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2007 7:12:11 PM

Hi, Shirley. Good luck with the horses. I try to keep away from any animal that''s stronger than I am, which, I guess, includes the larger Muscovies. Taking care of the ducks, geese, and hens outdoors is challenging enough.
Frosty
#10 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2007 9:28:36 PM

The secret with horses... they don''t know that they are stronger, we just need to keep it that way ;) Maybe a nice miniature horse for you? I have mini''s and full sized both... after a stressful day I wrap my arms around and equine neck, breath deep, and feel the stress fade away. Maybe I should name one Calgon? Hmmm... What color should Calgon be? Then I can say ''if I ever get a _____ horse, I''m going to name it Calgon!'' Male or female?
amelia
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2007 12:43:51 PM

Wow, I can't even believe how embarassed I am! 

I just got to a point this winter where this forum became so depressing to me - I wanted to garden SO badly, and couldn't, so I just had to focus my attention elsewhere and I stopped visiting.  So, now I'm back and I was reading one of your posts, recognized the names of your rabbits from your books and though "it couldn't be!" - looked up your profile and saw my post!  I'd forgotten even posting it - I think it was the last one before I took a break from this forum!

So, I apologize for the yuppy comment - I guess I didn't mean it in the technical definition.  I just kinda throw it around for anyone not growing up with animals, in the country, etc - but I shouldn't use a term and just assume everyone knows what I mean....

But come on!  An IV for a goose?!  At my house, that goose would've been renamed Christmas (maybe Thanksgiving, Easter... I guess it would depend on the time of year)!    ;)                        Ok, since it's the internet and you can't see me I feel the need to explain that I'm just poking fun - I grew up a 'country kid' with lots of pets - some domestic, some not - and our neighborhood was full of farms - but the only farming 'experience' I had until recently was lived vicariously through friends or at equestrian school.   I'm totally still in the learning stages so I have no right to be so condescending.  That's why I suppose I identified with so much.  But, honestly, a lot of your stories did make me feel sane - but I need that, so I better just say thank you!  

:)

I actually was given your book by my sister, and it's been passed among so many of our friends - it was great.  Completely entertaining the whole way through - my other half didn't have to read it himself - he asked why I was laughing out loud so often, that I probably ended up reading 90% of it to him.  I actually lost track of who has it, because I never did get to finish the very end before someone else borrowed it!  I can't wait for "Fowl Weather" - is it out yet? 

"Hit by a Farm" is really a good one too - the chapter on Chicken Sex had me rolling on the floor.  You would think I would really pay attention to author's names since this foot in my mouth episode, but I don't remember who wrote it.  A woman in MN. Same genre though - I really recommend it.

You know someone is a good writer when you find yourself wondering how they're doing randomly - and I've completely done that since.  It's great to see you're on here!

amelia
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2007 12:43:51 PM

Have any of you read Enslaved by Ducks? It's about a couple of yuppies who move to the country, and slowly their lives get taken over by all the critters (mostly birds/waterfowl) they end up collecting. It's hilarious - it makes me feel sane by comparison, but at the same time there's just enough similarity to my life to make me terrified! Anyway - it's 30 below up here in MN, everything keeps closing down, and it was a great winter read. Just thought I'd share. :)