Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Keeping Chickens on Straw? Options
dropkick
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 02, 2003 7:38:33 AM

I have heard of many people doing this.

I have also read of people leaving the straw in the house during the winter and just adding new layers, they say that the composting of the lower layers helps to keep the coop warm. But, as I have no experience with doing this, I can not say if it is a good or bad idea.

P.S. just remembered, if you do this you should throw a handful of feed onto the straw daily, so that the chickens will turn it and keep it from packing down to tightly.
patrick46135
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 02, 2003 7:25:16 PM

Straw bedding can be more troublesome removing when you clean out the henhouse at times than sawdust. Also if you have a mouse/rat problem they like to hide live in the straw.
mikeg
#3 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 6:11:40 PM

If you have a shreader to run the straw thru it would help.
johnhagen
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2003 11:33:57 AM

Stay away from straw it gets wet and is very hard to clean up wood shavings are much better.
ironkitten
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2004 2:44:52 PM

I''ve used straw for over three years. We clean it out completely twice yearly. We''ve never had rodent problems, and it makes the best compost I''ve ever used. We do like dropkick mentioned and keep adding to it... layering it. When it''s time to clean out, the top or uncomposted part becomes the best mulch. The lower goes in the compost or straight into the garden, depending on the time of year.

For me straw is free, so I couldn''t go with the shavings. Although I''ve tried them too, and they''re just as good. I had just as much trouble with wet shavings as I did wet straw... but since we only do complete moves twice a year, I just plan to do it when it''s dry, so it really doesn''t matter.
majik
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2004 4:26:44 PM

We also keep our chickens (layers and meat birds) on straw. They seem to like it fine, and I find it pretty easy to clean up. We layer it, and when a batch of chickens leaves for the freezer, I shovel it out into the compost. The barn floor is cement, so it''s fairly easy to clean.
weedsmoker420
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2004 6:18:35 AM

Straw works well, or old hay that is too moldy to feed to horses and such.
EliezerSilver
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2004 6:18:35 AM

Good idea or bad idea? We were thinking that the straw could be removed when it gets dirty and with it most of the parasites. What does anyone think?