Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

3 Pages 123>
creepy crawlys on mater plants Options
aris
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2003 6:33:20 PM

If just one plant is affected, it''s likely that that plant is sick. Did you plant something in the soil last year that depleted it? Corn will suck out a lot of nutrients. Did the soil get amended with less than the other plants? Poorly fed plants get sick just like poorly fed animals. Perhaps chemical fertilizers were used, which can build up salts and substances that burn/harm plants?

Is the tomato plant the same kind as the others?

As for the bugs, blast ''em off with a stream of water, and maybe a spray of cornmeal tea and garlic will keep them off from here out. Do you have things in your garden to attract beneficial insects and birds that would eat the little buggers like birdbaths and bugbaths?
weeknee
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2003 3:18:35 AM

The plant in question looks healthy as the rest,its just got all these little bugs camped out on it.I checked all the other plants(same variety) and theres not a thing on them.As for the soil,i dont use chemicals...just horse poop.Everything else in the garden is doing just fine.Id just cut the affected plant out but i dont want the bugs moving on to the next one,like i said the little suckers dont seem to be bothering the plant at all.
srj
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2003 5:40:30 AM

hi weeknee just a thought if they are not attacking the plant itself they maybe predatory mites ,they prey on spider mites & thrips,,,,,,,,,a beneficial bug (phytoseiid mites)but have to agree with aris theres a reason they are there good or bad,,,sorry i don''t any handy link''s for ya ,,but would think a university extension web site would have more info & maybe pic''s
tc ray
Tenngarden
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2003 3:11:50 AM

Aphids don''t actually eat the leaves, so there''s not much "obvious" damage, but they DO suck out a lot of the plants'' juices. They also transmit viruses(sic). Blast them off with water hose if possible, or spray soapy water solution, followed in 10 minutes with clear water. They may be on just one plant because of their phenominal growth rate, they could have started with just one bug.
weeknee
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 1:05:03 PM

Ok,so i broke down and and dusted the little suckers with seven dust.This goes against everything ive been doing in my garden for the past few years.Anyway, the darn things are still on the mater plants,doesnt look like it even phased them.My next step, i guess,is to just pull up the whole plant.
skruzich
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 2:18:04 PM

Sevin dust is probably the safest thing you could use. It has been used a very long time, longer than any other pesticide on the market. I use it on my plants now since it is the ONLY thing that i can use without killing everything around me to get rid of these #*)%#$) japanese beetles. Them things are worse than locust

I know i can use milky spore deseise to kill them off, but that takes 2 years.
I don''t really have a problem using sevin, its good for dusting your animals for fleas and other things. I used the liquid version the other day and think i got taken to the cleaners on the price. I could have probably mixed some of the powdered up into some water and sprayed it on my plants the same way the liquid works.
steve
Apemanevo
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 2:41:30 PM

I gotta disagree on sevin being the safest thing you could use. There are plenty of light oil and plant based solutions that will work as well. Pyola is something that is available from Garden''s Alive that is a canola oil mixed with pyrethrins (from chrysanthemums). It does not persist in the environment like sevin does. It also will not kill beneficial insects unless they are sprayed with it, unlike sevin which stays around. Additionally sevin will also harm the life living in the soil under the plant, killing off microbes etc...

That said what is done is done. Watch your other plants for signs of aphids and use the hose trick - it usually works. Also - ladybugs eat aphids like crazy. Their larva look like little crocs wtih pale orange stripes...
skruzich
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 6:13:04 PM

Apeman but it does not stop or deter the japanese beetles from eating my plants down to the stalks. I have tried everything to kill them or deter them and it doesn''t work with japanese beetles. The only thing i have found that will work is using milky spore and that takes 2 years to kill them off, and it really doesn''t help at all because the land all around me is infested with them and they just come to my little place and replace what i kill off.
With the seven dust I know that they won''t get on the plants, and its the only thing i have found that works and is not anywhere near as bad as other pesticides!
Microbes are the least of that plants worry when it is getting eaten down to the ground by a bug. So yes the sevin IS as far as i have found the SAFEST thing i can use. Nothing else has worked. Including soapy water which is nothing more than phosphates in it which are just as bad.
Apemanevo
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 6:30:42 PM

Have you tried planing a trap crop for the Beetles? I have a hedgerow of Rosa Rugosa, which they can''t seem to get enough of. It is off to the side of my yard they go there and eat all they want...don''t make a dent. Just because it has been around for a long time don''t mean its safe. Use a respirator when dusting...

BUT, sevin is way overkill for aphids... like bringing a bazooka to a knife fight. Sure you win, but you reall F'' lotsa stuff up in the process.
skruzich
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 8:07:55 PM

Yeah i agree on the aphids, I don''t really have that problem. i haven''t tried the rosa rugosa. From what i can tell they really love broadleafed plants, and berries. They also love my peas and beans.
I will look for some of that stuff and try that too. I don''t exactly like using sevin, but if i want to have any kind of a crop i am going to have to use it this year. ;(
They have about destroyed every pine tree in the area. I usually cut down every pine tree on my place because of this and a pine tree is nothing but future firewood when the high winds and icestorms come in and most of the time they end up on top of your house. :)
Thanks
steve
mikeg
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 8:18:25 PM

Have you tried Pates oil on water thing on the beetles yet. If so how does it work?
skruzich
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 9:14:03 PM

Hmm nope i haven''t. I have never seen the japanese beetles flying around at night. I do have a bug zapper and none appear to be in it.
I will see about doing that tonight.
steve
jack420
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 06, 2003 1:02:52 AM

I didn''t know that japanese beetles were offended by heavy metal rock music! (sevendust)
*just a joke guys........couldn''t help myself.......;)
Tenngarden
#14 Posted : Sunday, July 06, 2003 9:30:42 PM

Again, aphids do not eat leaves, so Sevin won''t help with them. This year, the Japanese beetles have hit my pole beans the hardest. I''m hand-picking and dropping into soapy water in a coffee can. When they''re all dead, about a half hour, I bury the contents in the garden to act as fertilizer as it breaks down.
skruzich
#15 Posted : Sunday, July 06, 2003 11:36:01 PM

Tenngarden if you wish you can come handpick the japanese beetles off my stuff, but you would be working 24 x7. More just move in to take over where the ones you remove leave off. And burying them don''t work well as they burrow into the ground as well as trees.
You need to make sure they are DEAD before burying them.
steve
weeknee
#16 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2003 2:13:26 AM

Ok, i hate to offend anyone,but the seven dust did the trick.Other plants are / have not been affected by the critters.And,i hate to say this for some of yall,but the japanese beetles are very scarce this year...hehehe.
Apemanevo
#17 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2003 2:58:42 PM

Sevin will kill aphids by them absorbing it through their exoskeleton. They are soft-bodied, so anythig that touches them will go right through. In the future, aphid can be easily killed with pyrethrin spray or an insecticidal soap. Also, diatemaceous earth (DE) will kill them by abrading their exoskeleton and causing them to dehydrate.
aris
#18 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2003 6:37:36 PM

Okay ya''all, I''m interested in how many of you use pesticides in your food crops. Here''s something to think about.

Poison is poison is poison. It''s a proven fact that what affects bugs can affect humans. Don''t be so proud as to think that poison that kills bugs, plants, animals, won''t hurt you.

Chemicals like poison don''t just sit on top of things and wait to be washed off. They seep into ground with water, get absorbed into plants with nutrients, filter through your skin when you touch them. If you spray your plants, you can be sure it''s in the fruit, leaves, roots you harvest.

Any nice words for ''deadly poison'' still mean the same thing. I don''t feed my family lethal chemicals, I''m not sure why anyone else would. There are always alternatives, if you''re willing to put some effort into looking for them.
tedlucas
#19 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2003 6:52:50 PM

Steve,
I agree on the price of the Sevin liquid. It is all that works on some of my pests as well. I you have a Wal-mart near by you can get the Sevin liquid in a concentetrate. It is $7.00 for enough to do 48 gallons at the store near me. The dilutet stuff is $12.00.
I wish I didn''t need the stuff, but I have not found anything else that will keep the local grasshoppers from devouring everthing.[:)]
Ted Lucas
Apemanevo
#20 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2003 6:52:55 PM

Not sure what you mean by "chemicals"...Even all the organic approved alternatives are "chemicals."

I only use minimal pesticides, and they are always organic. Pyrethrins are poison, to be sure. However, they break down quickly in the environment and only kills bugs that they are sprayed on. It is a chemical that comes from chrysanthemum flowers...

I use pyrethrum mixed with canola oil for flea beetles. I use a weak soluable copper/fatty acid solution called "soap shield" to prevent fungal problems on tomatoes and fruit trees. I also use a ferrous sulfate bait to keep control of the slug population. It breakes down into iron and sulfate, which your plants needs as trace elements in the soil.