Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

"Pet" flock of chicken suggestions. Options
trapper
#1 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2004 5:54:36 PM

most of the bantam chickens would fit that description. I have also raised Phoenix. They r a very gentle breed. about the size of a game chicken. With proper care and caging the roosters tail feathers and flight feathers never stip growing. I had a rooster whose tail feathers we''re nearly 6 feet log and he was beautiful, he was also a very proud rooster. They r gentle as mice. They also bring a good price as adult birds. I was selling trios last spring for $75 bucks. i had 6 sets of trios and sold everyone of them. Word of caution they r difficult to raise from chicks, they seem to die more easily than other chicks i have raised, i do not understand the reason, but others have told me that they would buy 25 chicks and none would survive. they take extra care. But i do love bantams ( bannies) as we call them round here. i also like frizzles, silkies, and top hatters. I also like turkens. I keep many different type of birds, i generaly have a mix flock of laying hens. but my favorite bird of all time for meat, eggs and just to look at and to have around is the acurana (spelling????) the easter egg chicken, they r calm, have a bearded face and feathers on their feet and come in all colors and markings......be well
MNSuz
#2 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2004 7:01:35 PM

A good way to go is an assorment from someplace like Murray McMurray.

And like Mr Mountain Man said, the Araucana are just beautiful and sweet.
My best and oldest rooster was a Partridge Rock. He was VERY kind! I never keep mean rooaters. I have small DC and a bad-tempered is something I did not want around. Some of the little bantie roosters can be very mean! But the hens are sweet.
The cochin are nice too. I had both Golden and buff laced Polish, a top hat. For some reason the BuffLaced hens were mean, but the Golden was very sweet.[?]
If you were to get an assortment, it would help you find what you like, and would be beautiful!

Hope this helps.
scotts8826
#3 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2004 7:01:35 PM

I would like to have some chickens around the farmtead to add some character and flavor. I do not see myself raising them for meat or even much in the way of eggs. More of a decorative or "pet" flock to have around. What are some breed suggestions for a colorful yet calm/friendly type of chicken without regard to meat or egg production?