Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

vets list for dogs annual appt Options
ginger71
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2004 7:17:18 PM

The ads for Heartguard say that, to be effective, the treatment must be given year-round. This is a "ask your vet" question.
The other tests depend on the age of your dog. Mine is a malamute (not a long-lived breed) approaching nine years. The only shot required for him is the rabies, but not every year (here its three years). For him to get his tags, I need a note or phone call from the vet''s office saying that he is ''up-to-date'' on his rabies shot every year (even if he only gets one every three). If your dog is younger, he may need the other shots to be safe. Try to get them one at a time, not a ''cocktail'' mega-shot.
Now I''m in a colder climate than you and we have other diseases to worry about with our pups. It also depends on the neighborhood dogs and their health, so ask the vet. If he''s not a greedy s.o.b., you''ll get a straight answer on what you actually need.
skruzich
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2004 11:32:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by billonmidwatch

I got the reminder card from the vet to make an appointment for my dog for his annual treatment. Can someone help me understand what these are? are all really necessary? are there any I can administer at home?

quote:
rabies canine 1 year booster

Ok this one is right down my ally :) FIRST OF ALL, DO NOT vaccinate if your pet is sick. I mean any kind of illness including skin problems! That is how i lost my schnauzer in august to lymphoma cancer.
Depending on which state you live in rabies is required by law. Just don''t know what the law says about how often you need them.
I personally only give rabies every other year from pup until 5 years old, the I don''t vaccinate for rabies til their 9 or 10 years old and then i only vaccinate every third year after that. This is rabies only. The reason why is that rabies vaccines are known to trigger lymphoma cancer in dogs and cats. Secondly, the rabies vaccine is good for 5 years anyway. No need to vaccinate as often.
Last of all, if your pet is not vaccinated for rabies, they cannot put your pet to sleep just because of that. You will more than likely have to quarantine your pet for 30 days, and you can do that at home. One more point on vaccinations. If at all possible try not to vaccinate all vaccines at one time. Split them up into 6 month apart. for example, rabies in january, and the rest in july.
The vaccines are very very hard on the immune system.
Now before you get the rabies vaccine, find a homeopathic practicioner, or someone who can get you a solution called lyssin. Then when you get the rabies vaccine, give the lyssin to your pet and they will not have as hard a time with the vaccine. Rabies vaccine causes agressive behavior in pets.

quote:

dhlp booster
parvovirus booster

These two vaccines are necessary from ages 0 - 3, and then you can vaccinate them every other year. IF parvo happens to become a big problem in your area, you might want to vaccinate every year. (if you keep a bottle of aloe vera juice, and your pet gets parvo, just pour 1 pint down their throat and 12 hours later repeat, and they should pull through it along with the vets treatment)

quote:

corona booster

Corona virus is an intestinal virus that usually is seen in young puppies and is typically not fatal. Its not really necessary.

quote:

Leptospirosis

, which is a bacteria that can be vaccinated against
I do use it in my pets, but this portion of the vaccine has been shown to cause reactions in pets and did not really protect against the disease. SO if you use leptospira vaccine in your combo shot, then you should dose your pet with some benedryl 1 hour before giving your pet their vaccine. The dosage is 1 benedryl capsule, for pets up to 50 pounds. You might still get a reaction and it is called anyphylactic shock, and the signs are severe itching and hives. If you get hives, get the pet to the vet.

quote:
heartworm test

This is necessary if your pet is not on heartworm treatment. I personally use ivomectin which i buy at the local co-op feedstore and it cost me 40 dollars a bottle. BUT that bottle lasts me 4 years if i keep it in a dark cool place. All you have to do is put the dosage in some hamburger and feed it to them. This will kill heartworms, as well as all other worms they might get with the exception of tape worm. If they get tapeworm there is another medication you can get from the vet. The way to check for tapeworm is to look at their stool and if you see little white rice like particles in it and they move, that is tapeworm. THey get tapeworm from fleas.

quote:

fecal examination

Not necessary if you use ivomectin.
Most vets won''t tell you that ivomectin can be used because they want to sell that expensive heart guard. BUT look at the heartguard ingredients and the active ingredient is ivomectin.
The dosage to give your pet is .009 x weight That in turn will give you the cc that you give them.
For example I give my 30 pound schnauzer .05 cc each month

quote:
I understand here in the city we must have the rabies booster in order to get the tags for his collar, oh, and so he doesn''t get put down if he bites someone.

Again, they cannot put your pet down if he bites someone if he hasn''t had a current rabies vaccine. The normal route is quarantining your pet for 30 days.

quote:
I understand what the heartworm test is and then they''ll want us to get the Heartguard heartworm preventative. Heartworms are supposed to be transmitted by mosquito bites, right? So is it a reasonable risk to suspend the Heartguard in the winter when there are no mosquitos?

Use the ivomectin like i do and keep giving it through the winter. Don''t miss more than one month of heart preventative. If you do, discontinue and have tested for heartworms.

I have taken control of my vet bills and have reduced them drastically.
You can buy the vaccines from a feed store. If you do, just make sure they are fresh by the date on the box, and make absolutely sure that the vaccines did nto get warm during transport.
Look for the Solo-Jec 7 vaccines which is a combination vaccine with the above vaccines you listed. It does not contain rabies vaccine, only the vet can give that and it should only cost 12 bucks.
The Solo-jec 7 vaccine cost around $2.50 cents from the feedstore.
If you don''t want to give the Lepto vaccine you need to ask for the non lepto vaccine.
Combinations are more convenient, but I usually buy my vaccines separately and spread them out over the year one every 3 months.
You might not want to do this and it really isn''t that big a problem for the pets. The biggest problem is giving combo vaccines and rabies vaccines at the same time.

Any questions, feel free to email me.
steve
skruzich@linkamerica.net
Galeshka
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2004 12:01:48 AM

thanks for the info. Steve, it''s going to be very useful!
billonmidwatch
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 04, 2004 2:41:58 AM

Thanks Steve. And thanks from Otto "arf!" (40# terrier mix) and Lizzie "woof!" (65# lab).
skruzich
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 04, 2004 4:26:33 AM

LOL
Tell them All 4 of mine, Londo, lily, Gkar, and Angel sends a chorus of howls to them. ;)

I had 5 til two weeks ago, Hunter had cancer and i finally had to put him to sleep.
billonmidwatch
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 04, 2004 4:26:33 AM

I got the reminder card from the vet to make an appointment for my dog for his annual treatment. Can someone help me understand what these are? are all really necessary? are there any I can administer at home?

rabies canine 1 year booster
dhlp booster
corona booster
parvovirus booster
fecal examination
heartworm test

I understand here in the city we must have the rabies booster in order to get the tags for his collar, oh, and so he doesn't get put down if he bites someone.

I understand what the heartworm test is and then they'll want us to get the Heartguard heartworm preventative. Heartworms are supposed to be transmitted by mosquito bites, right? So is it a reasonable risk to suspend the Heartguard in the winter when there are no mosquitos?

Thanks,
Bill