Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

small-scale container farming Options
mikeg
#1 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2003 2:54:50 PM

I would think that this would be a tough market to make a go of when you look at what the prices are for the product at places like wallmart and home depo. What is the edge or nich that makes your product different than the 50,000 plants that wallmart has. The reason I ask this is I just purchased some products from an established nursery that was trying to diversify into some different areas because they could not compete in the potted plant area with the "wallmarts" We do have a nursery in our area that specalize in the uncommon plant varieties things the masses do not normaly buy and they do a very good seasonal business.
skruzich
#2 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2003 4:50:01 PM

Mike one thing i can think of, the plants that wally world sell your lucky if they make it past the first week of planting. everything that walmart has in my town is of such poor quality that i would never waste my money on it.
Don''t know about other places.
steve
JSmit369
#3 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2003 9:30:48 PM

I do know a small hobby farmer at the factory I work at that does sell potted plants on the side. His plants are special that you don''t see at Wallmart. I talked to him about his little enterprize, and he told me that his wife worked with a collage profesor who helped her get started. His plants are pricy but they are absolutly great He told me that he had to really pay alot of money to get his buisness started because his new plants cost alot Also the plants needed a couple of years to get established.
Paul™
#4 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2003 5:17:49 PM

You might be better off growing heirloom variety vegetables as well as herbs and the like. Container farming is well suited for those sorts of crops. Also berries (blue, straw, rasp) [;-)]
johnhagen
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2003 12:18:05 PM

Hi Everyone,a local man started out with a few Hostas plants and has become the largest grower around.He now has like 300 kinds.Makes great money but cost were high to get started.
ray tucker
#6 Posted : Friday, June 06, 2003 4:53:18 AM

thank''s for the thoughts and suggestions Ray
aris
#7 Posted : Friday, June 06, 2003 8:22:22 PM

local plants -- "less pests, less water, less likely to fail" sells well.
organic herbs, vegs -- you''ll be surprised what people will pay for them, sometimes twice as much as other nurseries.
hanging baskets/fruits/dwarf trees -- not many folks have a lot of space.
justme
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2003 2:03:15 PM

I agree with aris... I would definitely buy organic plants if anyone sold them locally, but everything I can find comes in pots that say "miracle grow" all over them. Next year, I hope to start my own from organic seeds, but not everyone has that much time, or that much patience.
ray tucker
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2003 2:03:15 PM

I am planning on doing container farming on a two-acre block in southern Tennessee. I have experience in propagation and typical agricultural projects, however, this is a brand new project. All we really know about this is what we read in a magazine. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. We were considering common plants and shrubs such as spirea, verbinum, blackberry, grapes, Hawthorne Rose, etc.