Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages 12>
Homestead Help Options
Hoop
#1 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2003 1:45:49 PM

In this day & age, living off the grid is an expensive prospect. From what I have read, even the most basic solar electric generating system will be $5000. $10,000 will likely be closer to reality when everything is said & done. A good diesel generator system (which is expensive to operate) will likely run $5000 or more. Then you can expect to pay big dollars for minimal use electrical appliances.

Land is another issue. Despite the constant loss of good paying jobs going overseas to communist China, land prices continue to escalate like there is no tomorrow.

Check with your zoning administrator at your county courthouse regarding codes. They may even have a copy of the specific code requirements in your location. Nearly every location in the US is different.
Many locations now require inspections at every phase of the building process (foundation, basement, framing, electrical, plumbing, heating, etc). If your area doesn''t require this (yet), start your building project ASAP.

It is still possible to be an owner builder. In the future, it may not be.
hunter63
#2 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2003 4:35:34 PM

I guess the first thing to do is collect information, sounds like you are starting off well. Zoning and codes will keep you out of trouble at your new "place".
Trouble is all this stuff is expensive(land, tools, live stock, off grid stuff.
Anyway,moved up a thread "Earn your Acre",possible starting point. Check it out.
SecOfficer
#3 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2003 10:07:42 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I''m not too worried about the power situation....I can engineer anything and make it work...already got some new possible inventions that might need a patent as far as power generation goes, but I just was curious on how hard it is to actually "physically" build a house? I am an average carpenter, but dont know where to start. Are there any "How to build a house" books out there?

-may happiness find you every day of your life-
ajortolani
#4 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2003 10:11:30 PM

[:)] Hi Secofficer, I can highly recommend the MEN Book store right here, they have a wonderful selection of books on this subject. My favorite is "How to Build Debt Free"...is terrific & full of great suggestions & tips. Good Luck
basicmouth
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2003 9:24:34 PM

check out a book called The Tightwad Gazette by Amy Daczyzn. All the millions of ways from her and her readers about saving money, scrounging for everything, etc... She used to publish a newsletter, but has now compiled all the information into a collection of books. Get the Complete version as it has all three books together. It is a completely different way of looking at money and living. The philosophy is amazing.
Another book is "Your Money or your Life"... can''t remember the author, but also a proponent of keeping your money in your pocket, since money is a big deal in order to build your home.

check out United Country Realty online. They have a great website to search property and houses by price and location, etc... you might find a better deal (I''m positive you will find a better deal) than in NY. Have you thought about living in a co-op situation, where you share the work, the cost, etc... but still have a share of the land, able to grow your own food, etc... ME magazine did an article a couple of issues ago on this subject.

Also check out Amish websites: they have everything and anything for living off-grid.
SecOfficer
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2003 9:58:25 PM

Thanks for all the tips again. I didnt know the Amish could have websites!?!?! Anyway LOL I did find another book also on house building called "Do-It-Yourself Housebuilding: The Complete Handbook" By George Nash....anyone ever seen this book? I will check the site out basicmouth, although I would rather build it myself (a pride thing). New York is expensive for property, I may consider my home state of Minnesota for some land. Anyway, thanks again.....wish this was a chat room so I could have a conversation with all of you guys.

Peace to all

SecurityOfficer

ajortolani
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2003 1:40:15 AM

Try Pennsylvania, it is so cheap here that NYers think there must be toxic waste! lol
basicmouth
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2003 3:05:43 AM

hubby and I looked at PA (family lives there) and found property MUCH cheaper in WV, VA, AR, and MO. PA was too pricey for us. :)

My father has that book you mentioned Sec. He''s in contruction. Also check out lots of free help at finehomebuilding.com. They have a monthly magazine for guys in the biz, but the website is a great help if you get stuck and need a lot of experts to weigh in with opinions and authority.

We are going to build our own place too. Good luck! There are LOTS of books out there... check out Amazon or Ebay for used books cheap, or try your local Goodwill store. Hubby bought me Diet for a Small Planet used from Ebay for $4, and I got vegetarian cookbooks and gardening books as well for about $1 each.
SecOfficer
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 01, 2004 2:02:04 AM

Thanks for the address basicmouth, I will definately check it out. I DID however decide what TYPE of house I am going to build. After long exhaustive research and consideration, I decided on a CordWood Masonry home with timber-framing. Man, I love the way it looks, so rustic, but elegant at the same time. (And the wifey liked it too!) Never thought about PA......might be able to handle life in PA...maybe they need a good security officer to guard all that "Toxic Waste" LOL

Talk to you all tomorrow,
newyorkgal
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 01, 2004 3:20:45 AM

Another good source for information, if you haven''t discovered it, is the forum: homesteadingtoday.com

I''m also in New York looking for property. Good luck - see ya in the country!
Faollan
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 01, 2004 9:17:05 AM

There''s a town called Marquette in Kansas that''s giving away land to encourage people to move there. The town is slowly dying off so they''ve put in all the utilities and will give land to people who contract to put a home on the land and stay there 10 years. Guess they decided that since Kansas was basically started that way then it might work to keep their town from dying off. Good luck.
skruzich
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 01, 2004 2:28:44 PM

Hmmm Can''t say that i would jump on that deal. I have been through Kansas, and would go insane if i had to live there.
ajortolani
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 01, 2004 8:15:24 PM

I''m with you Steve, all that FLATNESS would drive me insane, not to mention the wind.....and lets not forget what happened to poor Dorothy.LOL
paratrooper
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 01, 2004 8:16:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skruzich

Hmmm Can''t say that i would jump on that deal. I have been through Kansas, and would go insane if i had to live there.

It''s not what you think . There is quite a bit of variety in Kansas . Where else would you get to move FOR FREE every time there''s a tornado ?
skruzich
#15 Posted : Friday, January 02, 2004 12:06:14 AM

ROTFLMAO! hehe, yeah you have a point paratrooper.
paratrooper
#16 Posted : Friday, January 02, 2004 2:39:25 AM

I would have to say that there''s a lot to consider when homesteading . The land will cost money . If you must drill a well that''s big bucks . A decent solar power system will go about $15,000 . If you don''t own the land outright you will have a problem getting a loan to build or buying a mobile home . You need to figure just how you expect to not only eat but how to get the cash you will surely need . What have you ever raised ? What do you WANT to raise . The climate is important . The colder it gets the lower the land price will be provided it is also in an area where it is hard to make a buck . The cold climate is good for crops since it germinates the soil . Now you must heat your new found paradise .

You gotta sit down and form a plan . Much like a business plan . You must know what you got , what you will need and what you are willing to do . Do the math and it will be quite an eye opener . I''m not saying that you CAN''T do it . I''m just saying that you must prepare for all eventualities . I don''t mean to be negative . Just practical .

Once you do the math you will have a goal that can be clearly defined . Good luck .
skruzich
#17 Posted : Friday, January 02, 2004 5:04:13 AM

Jeeeze, I have a acre and a half of land, just no money to do anything with it :( grumble grumble.....
CRZ
#18 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2004 7:01:00 PM

This offer from/in the town of Marquette interests me. I''ll move anywhere and do just about anything to leave CA :) I''m not from here and will never look back :)

Does nayone know anything about Marquette, KS? Better yet, is there anyone on the MEN forum that could shed some light about Marquette?
Garden Lad
#19 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2004 7:06:05 PM

CRZ, do a google search under the words Marquette Kansas and there are hundreds of hits for it. Just about anything you want to know....
CRZ
#20 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2004 7:20:18 PM

Thanks much Garden!