Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Cast Earth Options
pate20135
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2003 12:34:00 AM

Partially answered thee, I think it was thee, in the other message base.

Hailing from middle Georgia, knowing the clays there, does thee have access to ''kaolin'' or a good ''georgia red'' with little silica? If so, look into casting thy own bricks with a ''filler'' such as sawdust or ''cotton dross''. Excellent R values, comparitavely, and good tensile and load strenths. I would not recommend ''cob'' type construction, as the clay, even from the same banks, has different expansion coeffecients.

In the Grey Georgia OOM enclave, they would ''adobe'' a small structure, then light a big fire in it, then pine roof. ALL of them are still there. While the wood superstructures have been weathered and rotted, the masonry portions are intact, and serviceable. This adobe was ''straw'' adobe, using heavy silica red clays. Yes, the straw burned away, but the silica glassified leaving a very sturdy ''glass'' matrex.

Take care,

Pate

andydufresne
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2003 2:31:53 AM

Pate:
Funny you should mention kaolin. I grew up in Benton AR. Lots of it there. The pottery they made there was called Niloak. It''s Kaolin backwards. Every fall they have a Niloak Pottery festival in Benton.

Anyone that has seen the movie SLINGBLADE has seen Benton. THe entire movie was filmed there.
Joe
#3 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2003 2:25:46 AM

Dear Sir ,
Thanks for your details on clays on the building page . I Think we will stick to making our own portland solid bricks and poured wall sections as it will be easier to slip form my way up 3 stories. The mix will be a 3,2,1 mix and hand compact as we go . It worked for the Romans ; It should for us too - but we will add a little 4" insulation and rebar throughout.
Thanks very much !
Joe
#4 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2003 2:25:46 AM

Hello all,
Is anyone out there building with Cast Earth in the Southeast USA with local mixtures of clay? I am trying to learn about clay mixtures and the use of my own soils here in NE. Georgia. If you can share any knowledge it would be most helpful to us. Thanks