Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

EARN YOUR ACRE Options
jdcox
#1 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2003 12:10:07 AM

I share 86 acres of BC waterfront with five other owners, 3 of whom live there part-time and one who is planning to join us (probably never will). We each have a cabin and we have a couple of guest cabins. The property is located ten miles from anywahere and 25 miles from anywhere useful. We are on a large island not serviced by anything - no ferry, no electricity, no running water. But the islanders, local/people are nice. There are about 75 full-timers spread over a 30 mile long, 6 mile wide island. Kinda mountainous. Easier to get around by boat. I think our group would be interested in having a full-time caretaker (but we haven''t talked about it.......so I may be wrong........) We are meeting there for Thanksgiving this weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving falls on a different day than US). I''ll run it by them. The ideal caretaker would be a young couple, willing to live rustically and who were not afraid of living by small boat. The cabin would be provided. Maybe even some tools and a boat. You''d need to have a minimum of $1000 / month to live there ($Can) for fuel and food and activities. WE may subsidize that, too. But don''t count on that. My partners are frugal (NOT cheap - but VERY careful. Parsimonious is the word). And you''d have to be somewhat handy as there are few to assist you at anything. Nobody to hire, really. This is more remote than it sounds. And growing your own food would not be easy - but not impossible. The soil is good - just everything is at an angle. 30 degrees. We are there in the summer and will be staying there more and more but the value to the group is in having someone from September to April (you can stay all year but the wintertime is the time that is needed). No offers. No promises. Just a ''fishing line''......would this be of any interest to anyone?
skruzich
#2 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2003 2:36:43 PM

Hmmmmmmmm Might be something i would be interested in, in the near future ;) Only it won''t be a couple hehe.
Steve
joemehrer
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2003 1:34:29 PM

I would like a ittle more info please. Email me sejomehrer@aol.com. Im retired lawenforcment and am presently working as facilities manager at a 1500 acre horse ranch. I have the knowledge to do the job but! do you have the money to pay for that knowledge or whats init for me I have to be able to live. Dosnt sound like your offering much. Anyway kick it around with your partners and email me with what you can do and or are offering. JOE
cherterr
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2003 4:34:13 PM

Would it be too much to ASK for you guys to conduct YOUR business on YOUR OWN thread???? This one was for ME to find someone to help out around here.. geesh.. maybe you could delete your posts and place them under YOUR OWN title???? Thanks
Garden Lad
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2003 5:50:51 PM

I''m just a newbie, cherterr, but I haven''t seen one thread anywhere on the site that hasn''t been hijacked.

So you''re in good company. ;-)
begimorst
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2003 6:11:56 PM

Man alive cherterr! Your post simply made Jdcox think it''d be cool to have something like that too and he probably didn''t think anything of an "oh yeah, I''ve got an idea" post following yours. He posted it on the 9th and you''re just getting around to ragging on him? And the ALL CAPS thing to get your point across is really not all that effective; just incredibly immature. Get a grip.
srj
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2003 12:10:01 AM

cherterr ez up tommorows a new day butterfly''s will still float, birds sing ,and the sun will shine & it''ll be ok,, or may i suggest ya put on asbestos undie''s
jdcox
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2003 7:21:58 PM

Thanks, guys, for the spirited defense. I can use all the help I can get. But, I''ll still apologize to Cherter. Reading back, I can see her point. At the time, I was just ''caught up'' in the novelty of the idea. I hadn''t even floated it with my partners. Just fishing, really. Didn''t intend to hijack anything.

As it turned out, I had one ''good response'' and I like the people who responded. But my partners were disinclined so the idea has withered on the vine for me. Not too bad an experience, though, I met people I like. And we may still be able to do something so, let''s just call it what it was: a mistake with good intentions and maybe some good results. Cherterr.....the thread is all yours.

You might want to start another thread, tho. Getting your knickers knotted like that is not the best ''face'' to present for a harmonious relationship potential neighbour. Either way - good luck.
cherterr
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 01, 2003 12:06:50 AM

Well YEAH.. no big deal.. I just see the same thing happen in a LOT of threads on here. People come.. ask a question, want some help.. and within a very short time... the threads are completly DIFFERENT topics. (But maybe that''s how you keep it to the ''group''?) And anyone that doesn''t like or can''t deal with the truth OR caps.. hey.... stay off your computer.. waaaa! LOL! Anyway..... I use caps to be EXPRESSIVE.. and stop judging me.. try READING!! LOL! Ah.. yes, as for my timing.. it is MINE, so what''s your beef?? JDCox seems like a fine fellow. And, yes, I DID start another thread, JD, thanks. You people.. geesh! *shakes head* WHY is it you guys think people are mad???? Isn''t it possible in this world to just state a fact, without others getting all ''knotted up''? Oh well.. Happy Halloweenie!
srj
#10 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2003 5:24:46 AM

cherterr perhap''s my misunderstanding ,apolagies if i offeneded ya,,imho nough said
tc ray
hunter63
#11 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2003 4:30:35 PM

Try this
Hellzapoppin
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2004 1:09:10 AM

Hey, my fiance and me and my two kids are looking to homestead, except we lack the $$$ to buy land, but I''m up for about anything that''s legal.
I''d even thought of trying to form a commune so we could pool resources.
Anybody have any thoughts?
Drop me a line...
cherterr
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2004 1:09:10 AM

EARN YOUR ACRE

NE Texas 12.5 acre place - woods, rolling pasture w/pond, 3 horses, 5 goats, National Winning Angoras, chicken house/pen, wild berries, pines, occasional snow and ice. Owner willing to trade knowledge of homesteading skills, alternative healing, and 1 acre homesite (and
share the fruit of the rest) with Motivated, Strong and Healthy wanna-be (or already knowledgable) homesteaders, who aim to become self sufficient, who aren’t afraid of animals, getting dirty, getting up early, or hard work. Campstyle living first year.. can work out “amenities”. Please respond to: cherterr@bluebonnet.net OR mail...
Homesteader, 48 CR 2414, Leesburg, TX 75451

Even if YOU are not interested.. please pass the word along.

Thanks.. Been a suscriber for years.. didn't know there was a forum. Let me know if you know of anyone interested!!:):) Thanks