Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Thought for an indoor outhouse Options
hunter63
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2003 4:30:21 PM

Kind of looks like a composting toilet, seems to me that the graywater would turn it into "poopsoup". Would need a drain and a composting shelf.
Check out Issue #85 Page 104 " Mom''s Own Composting Toilet"
How about a gray water flush, with fresh water back-up?
paratrooper
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2003 9:57:14 PM

As a youngster we vacationed in Vermont with the fella that sold his store to my Grandfather . He retired onto a mountain with a log cabin . Attached to the log cabin was a workshop . At the end of the shop was the "potty". After using the facility you would sprinkle some lime over it . Outside of the shop was a small door leading to the "basement" of the indoor outhouse . When it was kinda full (and in the winter) he would open the door , shovel a bunch out into a wheelbarrow and bury it in the woods .No need for the flush scenario .
crwmdpmr
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2003 10:13:19 PM

Actually some of the composting toilet systems commerially
available would work for you. They replace the regular toilets
with the kind you use in recreational vechicles. These toilets
use much less water than even the newer regular toilets, yet
allow you to use enough water to flush the wastes into an
outdoor composting unit. These toilets don''t have a tank to
charge and would probably work fine with gray water the had
been run through a simple sand filter.
crwmdpmr
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2003 10:25:05 PM

see: http://www.esancor.com/lowwater1.html
What you see on this page is actually the
remote tank that the rv style toilets hook
up to. It says that the rv style toilets
only use about 1 pint per flush so you shouldn''t
have any problem generating enough graywater to
meet that kind of demand.
dropkick
#5 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2003 5:43:31 AM

Thanks to everybody so far.

Did plan a few features that I didn''t include in my first post, and couldn''t in the "drawing" (trying to make one of these drawings is darn difficult, when you post it the whole thing changes and you have to start over - try it).
Anyway, I planned on 2 vent pipes one in the toilet bowl and 1 in the composting chamber. The compost chamber would also have a lower vent for circulation, some form of composting shelf, and a drain.
I am now considering using a barrel as my first shelf (thanks hunter63).

Don''t want to use lime (don''t even know where to buy it anymore) and want to take advantage of composting so I won''t need to shovel out very often.

Considered r.v. toilets but they only have enough push to move the waste from the commode into a container beneath them, not enough to push it through a pipe. R.V. toilet would work great with a composter (like the one in the link) but commercial composters cost $1,000 to $2,000 and I don''t want to spend that much. Plus they use power and I want to avoid that. Thanks for the idea though.

Thanks for the input so far, has got me thinking about possible changes or even different designs.
ironkitten
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2004 11:27:48 AM

Dear dropkick,

I would be REALLY interested in how you decide to do this. Please keep us posted as you proceed... Promise?

I have the same concerns that you do. I want us finding ways that don''t cost a fortune...

thanks!
TabletopHomestead
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 5:40:34 PM

We use a sawdust toilet, like the one mentioned in the current issue''s article on emergency preparations. It consists of a 5-gallon bucket that fits into a nicely constructed cedar box with removable seat/top and a hinged lid. Sawdust is used to "flush." When full the bucket is emptied onto a compost pile way out back. The pile is turned a bit after each addition and the bucket rinsed and sprayed with a bit of bleach water. We originally used wood chips, but found that at times we had just a hint of odor. The sawdust completely eliminates any odor problems. We will probably eventually construct a concrete block compost bin, but it will be really for aesthetics only as the pile has less odor than the goat pen (really only a compost-y forest floor kind of smell) and absolutely no bugs or flies even in the heat of summer. We start a new pile each year and will use the year-old compost, which decomposes down to very little volume, in the holes of newly planted fruit trees. The article stated that a family of 4 could use one of these for 3 to 4 days before emptying, but that really isn''t true. 2 of use fill it up in 2 days, but it''s still simple and effective.
scotts8826
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2004 1:41:10 AM

The mention of an RV toilet started me thinking. (A dangerous activity, I know.) I am setting up a camp site/recreational site on 20 acres. I will have to haul in my water. My wife wants a toilet more appealing than a pit/outhouse. I figured I would be using a holding tank for my black water. Has anyone used an RV toilet as a permanent toilet? If it uses so little water, it would certainly make my holding tank last longer before I have to empty it. Also, how would I creat water pressure? Any other ideas I could consider?
dropkick
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2004 6:46:48 AM

An RV toilet is basically a pit toilet with a door that closes off the pit (opens when you "flush"). You could set one directly over a pit instead of a holding tank. (Would look snazzier than most homebuilt toilets).

Spoke of water pressure in your other post(in building), hope this helps.
dropkick
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2004 6:46:48 AM

Came up with this idea for a toilet and don't know if anyone has done it yet. If they have made one or anything similar would appreciate any tips.

My problem:
Don't want to use fresh water for running a flush toilet yet want a low maintenance indoor toilet.
I don't generate enough greywater to charge a normal toilet with.
My possible solution:
The toilet a cement well with a bottom drain to an outside composting box, and a valved greywater tank leading into the toilet.
I would only flush when I had enough grey water built up to push the solids along to the composting box. In between I would throw in a handfull of sawdust to keep down the odor - with 2 air vents (toilet & compost)I believe there wouldn't be much anyway.

Am going to try drawing a picture

GREY WATER
X................X
X................X
X................X.............TOILET
X................XXXXXXXX.................X
X................VALVE.......................X
X................XXXXXXXX.................X
XXXXXXXXXX.............X................X
...............................X................X
.................................X............X...................COMPOST
...................................X........XXXXXXXXXXXX..................X
....................................X...............................................X
.....................................XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX................X
....................................................................X...............X
....................................................................X...............X