Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages 12>
National Audubon Society Field Guides Options
Garden Lad
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2003 2:09:57 AM

I agree. They''re certainly among the best field guides going. I have Wildflowers, both Birds of North America ()Eastern and Western, and Eastern Forests.

I especially like the photos, which are invaluable in making positive IDs.
dropkick
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2003 6:22:51 AM

Wildflowers, birds (western region), insects and spiders, been thinking of getting a few more.

Couple mushroom questions for Ole:
1)What mushrooms are umbrella shaped and grow under trees with flesh that turns blue when bruised or torn.
2)Should I be concerned about the shooting pains in my abdomine, and the numbness in my limbs after eating the mushrooms. [xx(]
Ryan and Kathy
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2003 8:56:05 AM

1) The first thing that comes to mind is the butter bolete and satan''s bolete. Bolth stain blue and the latter is poisonous. The next thing that comes to mind are psilocybes. A few of those also stain blue and they are also poisonous (technically). None of these occur in my area, but they may in yours.

2)If you ate a blue staining mushroom the worst that would most likley happen is gastrointestinal upset or then again you might just be having a bad trip.

Anyhow, the really deadly mushrooms (Amanitas, like the death cap and destroying angels) would cause shooting pains in abdomine along with bloody this that and the other thing, as your kidneys and liver shut down and you die.
dropkick
#4 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2003 9:00:02 AM

Neat!
I was trying for frosts'' bolete (probably another name for satan''s bolete). Don''t know about psilocybes, except what I heard in bars when younger. Actually don''t know that many shrooms, only have 2 types that I pick and eat, and they are easy to I.D. so I won''t kill myself(morels and chicken). Always thought I should take a class
Ryan and Kathy
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2003 3:12:55 AM

Great to hear that you know of those two. Also look for the hen-of-the-woods or sheep''s brain they are all polypores (fleshy brackets) and easy to identify. Hen-of-the-woods looks like a pile of leaves. Just found my first chicken mushroom this year. The old man never new if they were any good untill I got this guide and a few others recently. That''s why it''s so important to pass on your knowledge to the next gen.

I LOVE MY MOTHER!!
dropkick
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2003 4:11:04 AM

I''ve heard puffballs are good to eat too, if you get them young enough.
Haven''t tried it though.
srj
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2003 5:27:29 AM

if ya go after puff balls be sure to slice em and make sure theres no stem or or cap developing if there is leave it,, amanta''s start out looking like a small P-B,i mostly stick to morels,puff balls, chantrells,coral''s or shaggy manes,,also been kicking around the idea of innoculating some downed trees with shittake & oyster shroom''s,,,on the blue staining shroom''s psiloybe (majic shroom''s ) were my first thought but i don''t think they grow that far north ,,got some link''s if ya''ll want em
Ryan and Kathy
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2003 3:29:51 PM

I would love to know any links you have that are better than www.mushroompeople.com They have everything you need for growing mushrooms. It looks like you can get several different starter kits for around $20. You can even grow Morels if you have a $100,000 lab!?!
srj
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2003 3:55:24 PM

Ole for morals it can be done but seems fairly intensive process this link has instructions for morels and a few others,,,http://www.mykoweb.com/ look under mushroom articals for instructions,,,heres another may or maynot be relevent for your area but may give ya some idea''s to persue,,,http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/nathis/mushrooms/mushroom/ sorry but short on time today will post more links later if these don''t have all the info ya want
take care
Ryan and Kathy
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2003 4:21:16 AM

Hey thanks, right now I''m reading "Mushrooms Demystified" by David Arora ''86. An excellent book so far.
Ryan and Kathy
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2003 5:00:36 PM

I just had a rather disturbing discovery. It looks like the ten acres of sugar maples I thought I had are turning out to be red maples [:(!] I can''t tell for sure untill they start to bud. Then I will be able to ID them better. I hope I can find at least a few Sugar maples. Funny thing is, my neighbor told me that I had sugar maples. No wonder he''s always telling me its a bad year for syrup, because he''s taping red maples (I bet).
ajortolani
#12 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2003 2:03:56 AM

Here are some links re mushrooms:

www.fungiperfecti.com
www.gmushrooms.com
www.mushroomscience.com

I have them in favorites ''cause I buy all types of stuff from them, mainly supplements & Extracts - Maitake Gold - a few drops & that flu is gone!
ajortolani
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2003 12:10:22 AM

Hi Ole Olsen, I want to Thank you so much for bringing this topic onto the boards. After I read the 1st few threads, I went to google & found www.enature.com which I think I will love! I congratulate you on bringing 3 great topics (in a row?) onto these boards & look forward to your next!!
Ryan and Kathy
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2003 2:11:01 AM

[:)]Thanks for the link and the compliment. I hope the mother nature topic becomes a permanent topic(another hint for the webmaster[;)]). I like the article on green burrials but I would rather see a Mother nature topic.[^]
basicmouth
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2004 4:22:02 PM

I just got two large boxes of Christmas presents from my parents (they live in New England and I am a Yank transplanted in the south). In one of the boxes my father wrapped a stack of books with the tag saying "From the Wentworth Mall", meaning the local landfill. When I unwrapped it, there were 10 (COUNT ''EM, 10!) field guides of various sorts: weeds, rocks and minerals, birds, seashells, edible plants, animal tracks, etc... The books are of older vintage (1960''s) but who cares! In great shape and my kids and I are having a great time with them. :)

so go ahead, ask me about weeds!! :) LOL
ajortolani
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2004 4:35:42 PM

Wow, that''s great! What a find & Merry xmas to you!!

Ole, I bought a mushroom kit last summer & had NO luck with it...my "green" thumb has yet to extend that far, LOL. Will try again this spring. Also, I buried the one I had in a shady spot near the garden (away from roving husband!!), so I''m hoping I may get some sprout afterall.
Ryan and Kathy
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2004 6:34:02 AM

Ajortolani, I''ve seen a few of those kits fail because of lack of humidity. I think the key is to have some kind of humidity tent. I am going to set up a tent using one tier of a cheap four tier, plastic, free standing shelf. I''ll just wrap plastic wrap around three sides and drape the plastic down the other.If I add cheapo humidifier and gauge I''ll be set.

I''m also experimenting with buring just about every mushroom I collect thats too old to eat or inedible altogether in or on a few key stumps around here. I haven''t had any luck yet, but you never know. What else would I do with a twenty pound chicken mushroom that was too old to eat.(It tasted like tree bark)

Hey, Basicmouth what kind of weed will have tastey little wax worms for ice fishing inside of it?

There''s something about typing the word plastic four times that makes me feel like going outside and picking up trash on the side of the highway?!??
ajortolani
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2004 7:10:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ole Olsen

Ajortolani, I''ve seen a few of those kits fail because of lack of humidity. I think the key is to have some kind of humidity tent. I am going to set up a tent using one tier of a cheap four tier, plastic, free standing shelf. I''ll just wrap plastic wrap around three sides and drape the plastic down the other.If I add cheapo humidifier and gauge I''ll be set.

I had the tent, I think though, I had too much humidity, am not completely sure about where I went wrong, though am willing to try again.
This past summer I had collected a bunch of red-top mushrooms which I had soaking in water & then we forgot about them so I ended up "watering" my garden with it, it makes a TERRIFIC FERTILIZER!!
mikeg
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2004 7:45:39 PM

When you soak your mushrooms over night use clear water first no salt and then pour the water in a jug you can carry. Pour the water in the areas you pick your mushrooms or try and expand the area.
Ryan and Kathy
#20 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2004 4:52:28 PM

Do you think that would really work? If it did work how could you prove it?

Another thing you can do is drag a oyster mushroom log home, and if placed in the right spot it will continue to produce for years.