Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

4 Pages <1234>
Hunter is losing his battle with cancer Options
hunter63
#41 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2003 6:45:08 PM

Hang in there Steve, had a Lab that had diabetes awhile ago, gave her insulation shots twice a day, went blind, then got cancer. That did it. Putting her to sleep was one of the toughest things I ever had to do.She was my hunting partner. Have two labs and a shepherd now, one of the labs is my new hunting partner, got him 3 years old from someone that didn''t want him. (All my furkids were orphans ) How can you give your kids away?
Anyway I heard once that the native americans counted their wealth in "horses,wives, and dogs"and that they will all be waiting for you in the "Happy hunting ground".
Sounds like you will be a wealthy man.
skruzich
#42 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2003 11:22:53 PM

Hi Hunter thanks! I appreciate it. Hmmm No horses, 1 wife, 1 ex and 5 dogs alive 2 passed on, and probably a host of rescues in the future to become a part of my life. Its hard for me to not take in another one, as I know several around here that need a home.
STeve
skruzich
#43 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2004 3:37:03 AM

Hi,
I am totally amazed at the resiliency of Hunter. It has been 23 days since he had his surgery, and he so far has been healthy. I haven''t seen any regrowth of the tumor yet, and his body has managed to make a artificial means for him to pee from. He hasn''t gotten toxic at all, and has been runing and playing and having a good ole time. I am afraid though that that tumor will come back in a few more weeks. I will just wait and see what happens. Until he starts getting sick we will just have a few more days to have him with us.
dropkick
#44 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2004 7:56:04 AM

Sometimes you get a happy surprise, maybe you''ll have years.
You have all my hopes and best wishes.

I still like dogs more than people.
Sheila
#45 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2004 7:48:04 PM

That''s good news, Steve. We''ll continue to hold you both in our thoughts.
skruzich
#46 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2004 8:37:10 PM

Thanks yall. Shelia, he has been eating those treats pretty good now. Just sometimes won''t touch them. Guess hes getting spoiled.

Sheila
#47 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2004 1:16:20 AM

They can be stinkers, can''t they?
skruzich
#48 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2004 1:25:31 AM

Yep they can.
steve
skruzich
#49 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2004 11:41:50 PM

This morning I woke up and Hunter was not doing so hot, and when i got back home after running my son to school, he was barely able to walk. I took him to the vet this afternoon and she thought that the tumor had grown larger and impinged his nerves that run to his hind legs which was causing him severe pain. Anyway, Hunter has gone on over the bridge to be with his buddy Odo who went in august.

Steve
begimorst
#50 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 12:17:25 AM

I''m really sorry Steve.
Bellla
#51 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 1:42:23 AM

Steve, I am so sorry that Hunter is gone. A dog is lucky if he gets to have someone who loves him and looks out for him. From what I''ve read here I would say that Hunter was very, very lucky.

Bellla

P.S. I liked how you described Hunter as your Furkid. It''s a great statement of how you thought of him.
Galeshka
#52 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 2:18:13 AM

Steve, I am so sorry to read this, you''re in my thoughts.
ginger71
#53 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 3:17:03 AM

You and your good friend are in my thoughts tonight, Steve. That unconditional love that they gave us really hurts when they are gone.
You did every thing possible for him and he will always be with you. I hope that my Yukon and Keisha meet him soon; they can go chase up some birds and squirrels.
dropkick
#54 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 3:48:57 AM

Steve.
I''m feeling your pain.
I miss my dog Hamm every day, I still look for him.
Just remember that you did the best you could for Hunter.
You extended his life and made him as comfortable and happy as you could.
The other day I felt Hamm lick my face.
Might have been my imagination, but I prefer to believe that it was Hamm looking in on me.

Heaven is where all the dogs who ever loved you, run up to greet you.
CntryLvnGrl
#55 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 4:23:56 AM

awwww Steve...... I too am very sorry...
skruzich
#56 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 7:08:14 AM

Hi yall
Thanks I appreciate the thoughts!
I put up a page for him tonight, if you want to check it out. I have one picture of him right now there it might take a min or two to load it.

http://www.everything-diy.org/steve.html
steve
Bruce Holman
#57 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 12:46:52 PM

Steve,
Yes, it''s a heartbreaker to lose a pal.
Hunter had a good and responsible friend and owner. and no doubt he knew it.
The Hunter page you posted tells the story very well.

We waited two years after our last dog, we just didn''t feel like going through the parting again. But the new puppy is a joy (a high-energy joy, and a trial to the cat!).
Last Saturday we were the last people to leave the animal shelter, with our new puppy in our arms;
...but there were still a dozen dogs in the pens watching us drive away.
skruzich
#58 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 2:25:32 PM

Bruce its heart wrenching to drive off leaving all those pups there! I have one little guy that i am sponsoring who is up in ohio. He is a older schnauzer who lost his home i think because his owner got sick. I send him a little money when i can and hope someone will be able to adopt him. I can''t adopt him as i don''t live in their area, and I try to find someone in the Ohio area that will take him. He needs to be a only dog for someone though, doesn''t do well with pups and new ones. Makes a great little companion for a older person.
If you know of anyone who is looking for a pet in that area. let me know. I will hook them up. Smokey Joe is in a foster home and is very loved.
Thanks
Steve
andydufresne
#59 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 5:01:06 PM

Sorry to hear this Steve.
CntryLvnGrl
#60 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2004 8:21:25 PM

Awwww Steve Hunters page made me cry....... :-(