Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

4 Pages <1234>
Hunter is losing his battle with cancer Options
crownlady
#21 Posted : Saturday, December 06, 2003 5:16:58 AM

Hey Steve, sorry to hear about Hunter. Our little Suzette had to be put to sleep when she was 13 years old because of tumors and other medical problems. She was a dear and gave us so much happiness. We never bought another dog because it was so hard to say goodbye to her.
I guess there is always the bitter with the sweet. Thinking of you.
sparkyshell
#22 Posted : Sunday, December 07, 2003 4:04:02 PM

Essiac tea. Four herbs. Burdock root, sheep sorrel, slippery elm bark and Turkish Rhubarb.
It works! It works! It works!
skruzich
#23 Posted : Monday, December 08, 2003 12:06:03 AM

Sparkyshell, Hunter has been getting Essiac tea for two months since the first tumor came up. It isn''t working.
steve
Bruce Holman
#24 Posted : Tuesday, December 09, 2003 5:45:53 AM

Yeah, we tried some really off-beat treatments too.
It''s really a downer if they don''t do the job.

The saving virtue is that Hunter, as did our pup, understands that you''re trying to help him. Dogs are pretty wise, on a dog level. I suppose that they understand that baring the unforseen, they will go before us.
I have mixed beliefs about an afterlife, but having seen our dogs chasing rabbits in their sleep I am convinced that they go on chasing beyond us just as they did when we took them out to play.
skruzich
#25 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2003 5:22:42 AM

Y''all,
While i won''t make him suffer in pain, I just cannot let this go without a fight since he is still playing and running and in general good health other than the tumor. I am going to take him in and see if the tumor can be removed tomorrow, hopefully giving my treatments a better chance at combating the cancer.
i am hoping that it will stop growing after removal with the treatments i am giving him. I just think that the treatments can''t fight the tumor itself right now.
steve
skruzich
#26 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2003 3:20:24 PM

Hunters surgery went badly yesterday, the tumor was the size of a softball and the vet had alot of bleeding and had to use a cauterizer to control it. The tumor had pushed hunters urethra out of place and she accidentally hit the urethra with the cauterizer and damaged it beyond repair. I have him home and he is sleeping right now but i think i am going to have to take him in and have him put to sleep very soon today or in the morning. :(

Steve
Sheila
#27 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2003 5:18:11 PM

Steve, I''m so sorry to hear that. It sure sounds as if you did all that could have been done to help him.
skruzich
#28 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2003 5:50:51 PM

Shelia, got that package! He is loves them. So do all the other guys but Hunter is getting them for now.
As the day has progressed, I have found some better news about him, he has control of his urine flow, and when he went outside he went to pee and the urine did come out the drain tube they left in hopes that it would drain through the tube. We might have more time with him due to this. The vet did say we could leave the tube in indefinately and if it doesn''t get urine in his abdomin, then we might have a little longer with him. There is one very very remote possiblity of the body creating a cavity that leads to the outside where the tube is and allowing him to urinate through that way giving him a longer time to live.
Hehe, hes laying by my bed with his head on a little pillow i had, and snoring loud enough to rattle windows hehe.
steve
VaughnHill
#29 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2003 6:45:53 PM

Steve you know as well as i know that its time to put him down.
skruzich
#30 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2003 9:14:13 PM

Yes vaughn i do, I am giving the kids time to get in here and see him.
steve
dropkick
#31 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2003 7:38:19 AM

You have my heart felt sympathy.
I have been praying and hoping this wouldn''t happen to both of you, but sometimes you just have to let go.
I almost kept my dog Hamm, to long.
When they start to decline they can go downhill fast.
It is better not to let them suffer.

I have met very few men that I like and very few dogs that I don''t
Sheila
#32 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2003 7:48:10 AM

Steve, I''m glad you got the package and that he likes them. Let him have all he wants. They won''t hurt him.

By the way, you''re the one who''s there with Hunter, you''re the one who can see him, you''re the one who knows him. I trust your judgment about how long you can keep him with you without causing him unnecessary suffering.
skruzich
#33 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2003 11:08:41 PM

I know Sheila, Thanks, He love the package and is eating them. I won''t let him suffer, he isn''t in pain, and he is still running around outside doing stuff, woofing and sniffing everything he comes in contact with.
I know what the signs are of toxicity and will take him in when that happens!
I am however working with the vet on a idea that might help in the future if something like this happens. I was thinking she couldn''t repair the urethra with cutting a clean cut and then stitching the tube back together because the scar tissue would close it off. BUT, if you were to do that and then insert a Stent like they do in heart surgery for arteries, that would hold it open and the scar tissue would grow outwards leaving a opening for fluids to pass through. Right now she is amazed that he is doing so good. I am hoping that all the kids can get in as Hunter is really the dog they grew up with at least for the past 7 years and I want them to have a chance to hold him and tell him their goodbyes. He however is getting rather spoiled, had sausage, eggs and toast this morning. I dug some deer steaks out of the freezer and fed him his own piece, and he loves tater skins so i baked a bunch of potatoes on the grill and he has been eating the skins.
TTYL
steve
Mom
#34 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2003 11:07:17 PM

Dogs are such loving creatures. They''re always glad to see you, no matter what kind of day they''ve had. I think it''s interesting that they prefer the company of people to being with their own kind.
Bruce Holman
#35 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2003 11:16:06 PM

skruzich,
Hurts like fire, doesn''t it.
Our dogs aren''t just like family members, they are family members. And it tears us up to lose them.

We lost ours to cancer two years ago. Didn''t want to think about another dog--couldn''t face the idea of having to go through the heartbreak again.
...But that was two years ago. We''ve found a network of pound-rescue dogs. We''ve looked at photos of a lot of pups who really, really, need a home...
...After Christmas we''re going to pick out a new dog.

Keep posting here. You have a lot of friends, and sometimes that helps.
skruzich
#36 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2003 12:13:30 AM

Thanks Bruce, and please consider getting a rescue pooch. They really need to have a home, thats how i ended up with Hunter. He was my first rescue pooch of many.
YES they ARE family members! They are totally involved in your life everyday. They give us so much more than they take too! Its amazing! If you want to know how to live life, just watch a dog.
As for the pain, and the heartache, I have come to realize that you cannot know real love unless you lose real love. I know it doesn''t make much sense, but Odo died in August of cancer, and that was my first loss. Now its Hunter.
I thought about not having another pet after these guys go, but after i think more and more about it, They wouldn''t want me to do that. There are so many others out there that need help.
My ideal place would have 10 acres of land, with no major hiways around, gravel roads all around and a place all my dogs can run and have a grand ole time!
CntryLvnGrl
#37 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2003 7:07:02 AM

Steve was wondering how things are going with Hunter? Not wanting to bring up bad things for you, but was following his thread and just curious.
skruzich
#38 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2003 1:24:11 PM

Cntrylvngrl, I am taking him in to the vet today to remove the stitches. Not sure what will be the prognosis.
I will let yall know.
Steve
crownlady
#39 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2003 5:30:24 PM

Steve, I too have been following your posts about Hunter. You have sure taken good care of him. How about telling us some of the things you like the best about your friend. I am sure you have many happy memories. I look forward to hearing about his adventures.
skruzich
#40 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2003 12:30:52 AM

Hi yall,
Got some of the stitches removed today, I think he had about 20 or 30 of them. She did say though that he is pretty healthy considering. He isn''t getting toxic from the urine, she believes that it is getting out and not causing him problems right now. She thought it will be a while before that starts to happen. She however believes that I will have problems with another tumor showing up and when that happens I will just let him live as long as he can without pain. Today he came home and started wrestling the pup, (35 pound lab) and running around and barking. Its so good to see him like that.
My vet did say that it amazed her that his incision is healing so fast, and the fur grew back around where they shaved him already. She said it was because he was getting a excellent food with nutrition, and wanted to know what kind i was feeding him. I told her and she is now going to recommend it instead of science diet and eukanuba and other brands like that.
I got some rolls of film to develop and will put up on the web soon.

I have been sick since last night, think its flu, hope it will clear up soon. I need to get some stuff done tomorrow.

steve