Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

something strange is happening to my plants Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2003 2:39:18 AM

not sure, have you checked soil or grubs or are there any japanese beetles around?
justme
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2003 3:55:57 AM

We do have some grubs, but not a horrible infestation or anything. I''ve not done anything about them yet because the birds love them. We only bought the house a month ago, and I''ve never had this happen with any other garden I''ve had, so maybe it is the grubs.
Apemanevo
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2003 2:22:51 PM

I would almost guarantee that the place where you bought your plants did not harden them off. Plants started indoors need to be exposed to outdoors conditions gradually, a couple of hours in the shade at first, building up to a day in full sun over the course of a week to ten days. If this isn''t done, they do not have the waxy caoting built up to fend off wind/sun damage. This usually shows up as the leaves losing their chlorophyll and turning white. They should be allright in the long run, the new leaves they grow should be fine.
DanR
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2003 2:31:16 PM

Justme:

Welcome to the forums!

Have your soil tested. There may be some chemical there that you do not know about. There may have beem some type of herbizide placed in the soil before you arrived that you were not told about. Some builders do that on new houses and sometimes the previous owner will do that to kill off some type of unwanted plant. My neighbor "loves" Roundup. She uses it within ten feet of some of my garden plants, Every year we have some of our plant killed because of her use. Don''t say that I should ask her not to use it. Does no good. She "beleives in the chemical way of life. Just check for your own peace of mind.
justme
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2003 1:56:03 PM

Thanks for all your information. I haven''t had a chance to get the soil tested yet, but I do remember the plants were under an awning when I bought them. They were exposed to some wind, but no sun. Whatever the problem is, it doesn''t seem to be getting any worse. I talked to the neighbor and he mentioned that 10 years ago, all of our houses weren''t even built yet and it used to be a field. He said they spread it twice a year with manure, but he''s not sure if they put anything else on it. Thanks again!
justme
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2003 1:56:03 PM

Anyone ever have plants that just turn whitish-grey for no apparent reason? I'm having this problem with both tomatos and peppers, in 2 separate beds. I planted them last weekend, and now the past 2 days, some of them aren't looking too hot? Any idea what would cause this?