Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

3 Pages <123
That mad cow stuff.... Options
ginger71
#41 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2004 4:54:04 AM

Steve, sorry about the "vegan" meat reference. The consumers are bulghur eating vegetarians that supplement their diet with whatever wild game they can get. THEY said they were ''vegans'' that ate wild meat.
How big do your wallies get in GA? We like the pound and a halfers here for taste. (And to keep the mercury ingestion down;)
skruzich
#42 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2004 3:00:38 PM

Not sure how they get here. Probably stocked by the DNR. And we don''t have to worry about the mercury in them down here either except in the Tennessee river up in chattanooga.
DanR
#43 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2004 4:06:38 PM

Steve, the good news is that only one cow has been found. With most, if not all, of its meat now out of the system, there will be very little to worry about. Glad you like fish, I can not even eat one bite of one without getting sick.
Piscesnaturally
#44 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2004 6:35:30 PM

Its not just the meat we need to worry about though. On the news this morning, an asian restaurant here in Fresno, CA purchased bones for soup, and some of them came from that same cow. Just a heads up....
skruzich
#45 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2004 11:42:39 PM

Wow, i didn''t know you could even get bones anymore. We can''t get soup bones from teh store. They send them all down to the rendering plants here in the southeast
steve
bushwack
#46 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2004 4:39:03 AM

Remembering an old ‘Bert & I’ skit

Joke spoken in an Old Maine Accent.

Enoch & Marshal were talkin over the back fence and Enoch says,
-----------------
Enoch: I had''a shoot miy daawg Todaay.

Marshal: Was he Maad ?

Enoch: He wern’t pleased!
skruzich
#47 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2004 4:58:59 AM

LOL, well, i am not amused at all. The price of beef jumped. Now a pound of hamburger is around 3 bucks a pound. Go figure

Now i would like to know how that happens when you have japan and other countries stopping export of beef, creating a massive surplus of beef here in this country.
paratrooper
#48 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2004 6:12:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by skruzich

Now i would like to know how that happens when you have japan and other countries stopping export of beef, creating a massive surplus of beef here in this country.

Well , let me tell you about the time there "was no beef". A long time ago I was driving for Iowa Beef Processors out of Dakota City Iowa . I ran mostly New York since I knew it so well and other guys that were raised in Iowa and South Dakota would rather eat dirt than go there . Then for some reason we all started getting loads to dog food plants . Mostly in the south . We ran like dogs ourselves . One day I called mom in NYC and she asked me if I could arrange for some nice roast beef . I told her that the store should be of better help than #1 son 1000 miles away . She told me that there was a meat shortage . The farmers were refusing to sell due to low prices . I told her that there was indeed tons of meat available every day . The slaughter plants were going around the clock . I started asking around and found out that they were just breaking even with the dog food business and were waiting for the retail price of meat to reach an "acceptable" level . When it did the "farmers" once again agreed to sell their cattle to the slaughter houses . It''s all about the Benjamins .
ginger71
#49 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2004 3:21:01 PM

Is that why dog food prices have seemed to have all gone on sale at once?
Many dog kennels up here for sled dogs, but the price on feed has never been so low. Hmmmmmmmm...............
Piscesnaturally
#50 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2004 4:56:12 PM

very interesting.....certainly makes one wonder....Thanks for the info..
Piscesnaturally
#51 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2004 4:56:12 PM

OK- we all know that I am pretty ignorant (but still learning) about alot of organics and the such... I was wondering if anyone would happen to know about the mad cow disease that has been all over the news lately. If you eat organic, free range beef, are you still placing yourself at risk of purchasing beef that has been tainted with MCD? I heard it was passed from cattle being fed organs like carnivores from infected cattle, so I was wondering if organic or free range would still be fed the same stuff as joe-everyday-cattle is? Thank you for your time and any information. My eventual goal is to be veggie, but I must take little steps first....