Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

3 Pages <123>
That mad cow stuff.... Options
StreetLegal
#21 Posted : Thursday, January 01, 2004 6:15:05 AM

Piscesnaturally,

If only I could describe the smell of that place...you''d be an instant vegetarian for life! :)

I''m curious about the name "Piscesnaturally". Does that mean you eat raw fish? :)

And how can you just indiscriminately, heartlessly cut the head off a cabbage?

Faollan
#22 Posted : Thursday, January 01, 2004 8:35:14 AM

Dunno about Piscesnaturally but the I find the fact that a cabbage can''t kick me when I take a knife to it very reassuring.
ajortolani
#23 Posted : Thursday, January 01, 2004 9:09:31 PM

[quote]Originally posted by DanR

Evidence now coming out is that the cow came from Canada. Most of the meat from that cow was sold in the western U.S.

Now this is what I have been talking about!! IT IS THOSE DAMN CANADIANS!!!! I''m telling you guys, it is a conspiracy![:D][:D][:D]
skruzich
#24 Posted : Friday, January 02, 2004 12:15:26 AM

Yeah AJ, we have to watch those kanuks, they are a sneaky bunch! ;)
steve
Piscesnaturally
#25 Posted : Friday, January 02, 2004 3:46:40 AM

Actually STREETLEGAL, my birthsign is pisces, and I am trying to live a natural life. Actually trying to live a life kinda like back to basics, if you know what I mean.
My father, uncles and one of my brothers are/were in the butcher business. The meat house is a smell I will never forget. I would like to become more vegetarian, or at least eat meat that I have raised myself. I know that will still piss off many, but thats just the way it is with me....
skruzich
#26 Posted : Friday, January 02, 2004 5:06:57 AM

Picesnaturally, If i haven''t pissed someone off each day i am not doing my job hehe.
steve
Piscesnaturally
#27 Posted : Saturday, January 03, 2004 9:19:54 PM

LOL- I know Steve. I read your posts, laugh and shake my head....sometimes I swear I can hear those mind gears grinding all the way out here in calli! hehehehe
skruzich
#28 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2004 12:44:59 AM

HMMmmmmm my mind is getting a bit noisy. Might need to oil the gears a bit. Hmmm wheres that bottle of gentleman jack. ;)
Piscesnaturally
#29 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2004 3:14:17 AM

LOL- you are sooo crazy!!!
ginger71
#30 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2004 3:58:56 PM

Up here in way north MN, my "vegetarian" friends go deer, moose and bear hunting to get their "vegan" meat.
This week, our local grocer is selling IQF boneless, skinless chicken breast at the sale price of $4.99 for a 2.5# bag. Big savings. NOT!
Walleye filets sell for $6.99# if you can''t catch them yourself in the hundreds of lakes in the immediate area. And they are Canadian, to boot!
skruzich
#31 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2004 4:56:41 PM

Uhmmm ginger, vegan meat??????
I am confused on that term. ;)

We have walleye down here in georgia and tennessee too.
steve
earthchick
#32 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2004 7:32:45 PM

Hi there is info about the mad cow thing at www.organicconsumers.org/madcow.htm lots of good info, but scarey.
skruzich
#33 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2004 11:54:52 PM

Heard just a while ago, they are doing a mass slaughter of potentially infected cattle. Guess there isn''t any other way to do it. Shame too, those cows that were imported from canada, the sellers knew that they had been fed contaminated feed and they sold them anyway.

Steve
Piscesnaturally
#34 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2004 3:53:31 AM

the almighty dollar reigns again......
skruzich
#35 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2004 5:05:19 AM

Pices, I agree with the attempts at controlling this, they will put the calves down and cremate them to stop the disiese. If i were the dairy farms that bought the cattle, i would definately file lawsuits against the ones who sold them the cattle that were fed contaminated feed. That was irresponsible and obvious that they were trying to unload them to prevent a loss. I guess they figure that it would be a US problem and not theirs.
Anytime animals are what they call downers, they should be put down quickly and the remains cremated to stop whatever made them sick. I remember in 1985 we did that in colorado when we had problems with some of the elk and deer herds that were dying. They were starving to death in the winter as they couldn''t get to food, and we couldn''t provide enough forage for the whole herd to live, so the DNR allowed the locals to go kill 30% of the herds as long as we used the meat. It saved the herds! Next year, the herds came back and just about doubled. Its amazing how a imbalance corrects itself.

I found a bull calf today (really the Agriculture teacher at the high school did) and it will cost me 150.00 to purchase the calf. Its a 2 week old one. I am going to buy it and have them house it at the barns and let my son raise it for a grade in school. I figure that it will be a decent project for him and he can take it to the show this year in may. I guess we will have a freezer full of beef next year.
I figured it will cost me around 600 bucks including purchase price and i will get around 450 - 500 pounds of beef from it.
I am hoping i can find someone to buy half the beef from me, and recoup at least half my costs, might even get more if beef prices skyrocket

Steve
George Parsons
#36 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2004 12:24:24 AM

I agree with Skruzich, downer cows should not go to human consumption meat. We need to keep our food supply as safe as possible plus perception is reality. If someone sees one downer cow being dragged into the Hormel plant it''s bad for the whole ranch business.

The cow in question did copme from Canada, it was older than originally thought and probabluy was fed the recycled feed that contained animal parts prior to that practice being outlawed.

USDA unfortunately does not have the mind set of a regulator. They want to be good ole boys, like me or you or anyone else. The world''s full of good ole boys. That mind set will have to change, and it will in time. USDA is fairly successful at what they do but they will need to do better at regulations in the future.

No matter what else I will eat beef (where''s the beef?). Course we grow our own but I would still buy a steak at a good steak house. If I live my life scared of every little thing then that ain''t much of a life. The Hwy is far more dangerous than our food supply.
StreetLegal
#37 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2004 5:34:23 AM

Steve,

Cooking won''t kill the prion that causes mad cow, nor does incineration, bleach, or autoclave...or at least that''s what I''ve heard.

When carcasses are incinerated, the prions are belched into the atmosphere.
skruzich
#38 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2004 5:49:28 AM

You know everyone is so worried about the mad cow desiese, and never even give one single thought about drinking water. You see, cjd disiese is the same thing as mad cow and it is in humans. The bodies are prepped at a mortuary and they dispose of the fluids down the drain. That includes the prions in the body.
here is a reference advising embalmers.
http://www.wyfda.org/member/cjg_3.html
So what the heck difference is it that we might get a piece of meat with it, and drinking our water??????
Plus Try CWD It has hit most of the wildlife in this country and they die off and most of them are not disposed of they rot in the wild where they end up in the water supply too.

Steve

Faollan
#39 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2004 5:55:43 AM

So, in other words, just quit worrying about it we''re all going to end up D E D one way or another?
StreetLegal
#40 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2004 10:21:52 PM

There is a similar disease in trout, called "whirling", where the afflicted fish swims in a tight circle ''til it dies.

---

Does anyone have any good news??? such as you saved a load of money on car insurance by switching to Geiko...anything would help! :)