Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

3 Pages 123>
That mad cow stuff.... Options
dropkick
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2003 6:47:56 AM

If the organic beef is truly organic it should be safe(haven''t kept up with the news on this lately - so don''t know what gov. is requiring in order to be labeled organic)
Also they are saying that if you don''t eat any of the nervous system it should be safe (truth ?)
As this disease may take 4 years to show symptoms it makes me nervous.
The cow they found with it had only been owned by the dairy who had it for 2 yrs. and they said they didn''t use bone meal, or any feed supplemented with other cow parts.
paratrooper
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2003 6:56:41 AM

When cattle are slaughtered their stomach contents are boiled off and the solids are referred to as offal . It is make into bricks and sent to feed plants where they are busted up and mixed into feed for other cattle . This creates a link between the infected cattle and other cattle . Without this link there can be no transfer of the desease . Free range just means that the cattle were left to wander about eating whatever gets in their way .This means that they eat everything from good grass to weeds in sparse areas such as high desert . Once again there is no exposure to the disease . Organic fed cattle are fed grain that is raised without additives . Once again there is no exposure .
One thing to remember is that the good meat that you get is fed in a strict manner so as to get the meat and fat in just the right ratio . They are fed corn and a sweetener along with the recycled feed . When you get free range the meat isn''t quite as good . Organic fed will be better but the fat swirls will be a different color ( this is called marbleing) and the taste will be different . Not worse , just different . People that raise beef under these strict guidelines will be deluged by purchasers . It is virtually 100% safe . The other meats will rise in popularity and rabbit might even get some long sought after (and well deserved) recognition .
skruzich
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2003 1:34:51 PM

Free range beef isn''t very good at all, usually tough as shoe leather. You need to feed grains to fatten them up. You can buy grains that are not mixed, or even mix your own. Just feed corn, sweetfeed, and you should be ok
majik
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2003 2:27:57 PM

Mad cow is spread through feeding ruminants other ruminant "by products". That means sheep, cattle, deer, etc. When animals are rendered, it is possible that some of the spinal cord, brain, etc. gets mixed in to other animal feed. Reputable and responsible feed companies publish and publicize the ingredients in their feed. If you''re not sure, ask. The preons that transfer the disease to the brains and nervous systems of an infected animal need about 30 months (minimum) to develop, so young cattle are essentially safe. We''ve gone through this here in Canada over the last few months and it has devastated the cattle industry (and the dairy industry, too because there is no market for ''cull'' cows). I still eat beef and I make it a policy not to feed my own animals (ruminants or not) feed withoiut any animal by-products. Eating and living is risky - we all just havge to make choices that make us feel safe. The best way to guarantee that your beef stays safe is actually to support the beef industry as much as possible. Desperate farmers might cut corners, I''m sorry to say.
skruzich
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2003 2:53:38 PM

Yall also realize, that this is just the tip, think about what they feed chickens for market and pigs. We don''t need to assume that it won''t or can''t happen with them too.
But if you stay with sweetfeed grains, and corn, and hay you won''t have a problem if your cattle don''t have it prior to your obtaining them.
steve
Piscesnaturally
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2003 6:57:31 AM

Thanks for the info guys! Once again you have all come through. I dont have cattle, but that info is also appreciated. My father was a butcher and he said that they place that stuff in chicken and pig feed as well. He said that it helps to fatten them up and give the farmer/rancher a better profit margin. Just some more to think about when grovecery shopping, I guess. Take care and be well! ;)
DanR
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2003 9:15:38 PM

Evidence now coming out is that the cow came from Canada. Most of the meat from that cow was sold in the western U.S. Because it was a "downer", or sick, cow the brain and spinal cord was not used. As they have never found any of the "bad" protein in any part of a cow but the brain and spinal cord, all the rest is o.k. to eat.

The human counterpart, C.J. syndrome, occures in about one person in 100 million. That may also be the same rate for cattle. So it could "pop up" at almost any time. By killing off most cattle long before they could develope it "naturally" we may be helping to keep it under control. As for me and mine, we will still eat beef. Hope the price does drop so we can fill the freezer at a cheap price.
skruzich
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2003 10:26:51 PM

Yeah I am not going to be afraid of one or two cows with it, i worry more about ecoli than that.
I too wish the price would drop, damn a pound of Ground Beef is at 2.30 a pound now. Cheaper to buy chicken breasts at 1.15 a pound.
Steve
Piscesnaturally
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2003 10:58:31 PM

HAHAHA, I know what you guys mean about the cost of beef right now. Sad if it were to drop because of this though. But I guess thats the way it goes....
ginger71
#10 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2003 10:59:22 PM

D***, Steve! The CHEAPest chicken breast prices here are $1.99 per pound. I GOTTA get out of here - no jobs and high priced groceries!
Piscesnaturally
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2003 3:05:45 AM

where are you at ginger???? Sounds like AK!!!hehehehe
StreetLegal
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2003 3:29:50 AM

I ran into a rancher aquaintance of mine on Christmas Eve...he said he had been out checking his cows and none of them were mad about anything...he said they all seemed pretty happy!

---

I also heard that they estimated the mad cow''s age at about 15 years. I don''t know the life expectancy of chickens or hogs, I suspect it is much shorter than 15 years...might be the reason we don''t see the disease in those animals.

I did some sub-contract work in a packing plant about two years ago. There was a USDA veterinarian/inspecter there that visually inspected every cow that was slaughtered. Most of the cows were dairy downers...broken hips, etc. She inspected the brain, lymph nodes, and also did a quick visual of the animal before it was put down.

I hated that place...these gentle, docile creatures that worked so hard and produced so much for their owners, just to be dragged up into a stock trailer with a winch, then dragged out of the trailer with a different winch. I guess I''m gettin'' soft...

One concern that I have is the fact that they used a bandsaw to cut the carcass in half, from front to back, right through the middle of the spinal column. Couldn''t that process transfer preons from the spinal column to the meat? Think about that next time you hanker for a T-bone steak.

dropkick
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2003 7:10:27 AM

Man seems like only yesterday I was paying .15¢ a pound for whole chickens.
skruzich
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2003 12:52:58 AM

Hi ginger, about once a month, my local grocer sells chicken breasts for .88 cents a pound, so i go up and buy 50 pounds of it at a time.
Chickens also live 15 years except for the "Meat chickens" which usually don''t live longer than a year cause their bone structure isn''t strong enough.
steve
paratrooper
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2003 4:09:24 AM

I''ve also heard about "boneless chickens" . I would imagine they must have to raise them in a hammock .
skruzich
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2003 4:43:39 AM

hey paratrooper, haven''t you ever watched cow and chicken ;) Chicken has a uncle boneless. hehe
steve
Piscesnaturally
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2003 4:57:04 AM

LOL- Oh jeeze Steve!!! hehehe
Well, I must admit Streetlegal...I am sincerely now going veggie after THAT mental picture!
dropkick
#18 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2003 6:02:51 AM

For a mental picture, think about all those poor chickens running around and letting out high pitched peeps after they had their nuggets harvested.
skruzich
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2003 2:06:01 PM

Heh, when i was a kid i remember when grandpa used to go kill the chicken for dinner. Figured out early in life where they got the saying running around like a chicken with their head cut off.
Faollan
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2003 10:29:40 PM

dang dropkick are you a masochist?